Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: November Yellowtail in Santa Rosalia area
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2011 at 06:21 AM
November Yellowtail in Santa Rosalia area

Usually around the begining to mid- November the Yellowtail come in on the bajos North of San Marcos Island and are a mean nasty bunch of hungry fish trying to get fat for the winter. With the recent cool down of the water temp, I knew it was just a matter of catching the right tidal movement and I had checked and rechecked all the gear and set out yesterday to see if the big boys had arrived. Bait is very difficult in our area right now and the only bait we can find is Green Mackerel that are eating Krill when the moon lights up the surface of the water. So bait is made at 3:30 to 4:00 in the morning but there is a lot of it.

With the bait tank loaded and some spotty reports of where the fish were starting to show, I was ready at daybreak on the North side of San Marcos. Well they showed up and were really hungry. While there were some smaller sized fish in the mix in the 12-15 lb range, there were a few real bruisers caught yesterday in the 30-40 lb range and I managed to get one to the boat that was just shy of 50. I really thought I had hooked a seal when this beast took the bait as he started pulling out and away from the boat.

There were several boats who were new to the area and they were frustrated to watch the fishing as they had no bait and Yo-Yo's and jigs are a poor second choice when they are hungry for meat.

bajabass
Super Nomad

Mood: Want to fish!!!

[*] posted on 11-16-2011 at 06:29 AM

Go get 'em Jim!!! I'm ready for them to show here. I've had enough dorado, time for a change.

Keep your eyes on the road, and your hands upon the wheel!
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 11-16-2011 at 07:43 AM

thanks for the report jim....looks like it's time to point the bow north!

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2011 at 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegemichael
thanks for the report jim....looks like it's time to point the bow north!

Are you guys making any bait in Mulege. The guys at Chivato are having a real hard time so wonder how it is a little further south.

mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 11-17-2011 at 07:47 AM

one day it's here and one day it's not; a roll of the dice.

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.