Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Papers, Please
Mengano
Banned

[*] posted on 11-29-2011 at 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabass
Once I passed my wild years, I've always respected cops and firefighters. Doing the jobs nobody else wants to. Running INTO burning buildings, CHASING the bad guys with guns, ect.

WTF are you talking about? Police and fire departments are buried in job applications. The FBI got 227,000 applications for 3,000 openings. There is no lack of people wanting those jobs.
bajabass
Super Nomad

Mood: Want to fish!!!

[*] posted on 11-29-2011 at 11:40 AM

HMMM? A job it is almost impossible to lose.:light: Sounds very good to someone unemployed. A few of those people out there these days.

Keep your eyes on the road, and your hands upon the wheel!
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2011 at 12:19 PM
Whiners

What's this guy b-tching about? That he's not being treated respectfully at the border?

He needs to grow up...Or stay home.

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 11-29-2011 at 12:55 PM

Ditto's Dave...

BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 11-29-2011 at 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Woooosh
I always roll my eyes when rolling through the border gate headed north after reading (paraphrasing) "We will give you a cordial welcome when returning the the USA". I have never gotten that, from them anyways.

After butting heads with the guys at the gates over the years I have just learned it be best to roll up to them grinning ear to ear and beat them to the punch, greeting them as friendly as possible. It doesn't work with even half of them but I do manage to get a few to crack out a huge grin in return from time to time.

Then they usually just wave me through without even so much as a single question...

;)

[Edited on 11-29-2011 by BajaGringo]
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2011 at 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
What's this guy b-tching about? That he's not being treated respectfully at the border?

He needs to grow up...Or stay home.

Recommended Procedure for Border Crossing:(Does this work for Dave?)
Jump out and lick the boots of the nearest guard. Then when they give you a swift kick in the burro and send you on your way,thank them profusely and tell them how much you appreciate the difficult dangerous job they are doing.Then you can feel comfortable knowing you behaved like a grown up.:lol::lol:
Mengano
Banned

[*] posted on 11-29-2011 at 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by soulpatch
And, how many of those "thousands" do you really want to rely on to save your life?

Message sent by Soulpatch to MeNo upon learning that MeNo's wife was seriously injured in a truck crash.

Quote:
"My favorite part of the job is scraping deserving people like your wife up off the pavement".

Do you deny sending that? People here need to know just what, and who, they are dealing with.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 11-29-2011 at 03:09 PM

You guys are painting with a "wide brush". There're all kinds of people in most any outfit; some good, some bad, and some downright ugly.:D You've just got to take 'em like they come.
Oddjob
Banned

[*] posted on 11-29-2011 at 03:20 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Mengano
Quote:
Originally posted by bajabass
Once I passed my wild years, I've always respected cops and firefighters. Doing the jobs nobody else wants to. Running INTO burning buildings, CHASING the bad guys with guns, ect.

WTF are you talking about? Police and fire departments are buried in job applications. The FBI got 227,000 applications for 3,000 openings. There is no lack of people wanting those jobs.

Buried? Not like the 80's and 90's....
And, how many of those "thousands" do you really want to rely on to save your life?
Wanting and being able to function at a high level are two different stories....
Take a look around and get a clue.

Soulpatch, you seem to be suffering from firefighter syndrome. There are many more capable and qualified police and fire job applicants than there are available positions. My fd neighbor is fifty two and has just retired with almost full pay plus medical for life. He just smiles and says that although he knows that it is a way better deal than most everyone else gets, he'll take it. He would have had no problem working for a few more years, but it made no sense. I'm not disputing that police and fire don't do a great job and sometimes are at great risk in doing so, but the package that you get makes it a pretty lucrative deal, with the early retirement and more than generous pension and benefits.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 11-29-2011 at 07:36 PM
True, True, True

Quote:
Nobody here suffering.
If they are all so qualified I wonder why we wash so many out in the application/testing process and then even more during probation.
I guess it is all perspective and the agency you work for. Some have higher standards than others.... go figure.

Very true.

When I was supervising the pre-employment background investigation unit for a very large state agency, we washed out about 67% of all applicants during the written, physical agility, initial interview, background investigation, polygraph and psychological testing. Not to mention up to 50% of succesful candidates during the academy process, and about another 15% of academy graduates during the probationary period...............we could never fill all of our vacant positions.

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2011 at 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidT
Papers, Please

by John Brennan

I am a 58-year-old American male and former military officer who has had the opportunity to travel throughout the world. No, I never participated in any war and am happy I haven’t.

John Wayne is not dead my friend, his tough guy persona lives on in every lowlife nobody in uniform dying to be a hero in the war on terrorism.

This nut job is most likely white with a sense of entitlement and priviledged.

''Lowlife nobody in uniform,'' won't smile at me when I cross the border. Boo hoo. It's just not right. My feelings just don't matter anymore.

Every generation complains about how it use to be and how lousy life is now.

Get use to it. Ain't no going back. Get out of Dodge if you don't like it. Just stop with the whining and grow up a little.
Fernweh
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2011 at 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
All good reading ..and a point of view.

Me too, ateo...this will be a good time for a 'test or report' .... let you know in about 4 hours what my experience is like crossing at Tecate.

Do you have mobile Internet Roger?

Just for your info.....

we just returned from La Paz on Sunday crossing the border in Tecate.
Before the checkpoint signs stated: free Wifi courtesy of the Tecate's mayor.
Worked great, surfing the web, sending our pictures - while we had to wait for our turn.

Karl
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2011 at 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Fernweh
Before the checkpoint signs stated: free Wifi courtesy of the Tecate's mayor.

Must be a recent addition, but a really cool one at that. Great PR in the Hell Zone.
I guess the US just didn't have the time to be so thoughtful.
Ohh well....maybe they'll bring the Capuccino Cart out of retirement one of these days.
Lengua
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2011 at 10:30 PM

Mengano , you are mean spirited and remind me of a childish bully. Get a life . Jealousy is ugly and so is your attitude towards others on this site .
Get happy
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-30-2011 at 09:09 AM

Limes are not illegal, just fyi. Good border crossing photos... I think if they saw you taking photos they would be upset, however. Thanks Roger! Be sure to call me again when you stay at Guajome, which is like 2 miles from my house.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2011 at 09:16 AM

Seems like San Ysidro is where I get rude treatment. Tecate and Mexicali seem cool. Perhaps the stress level is much higher in Ysidro. Did you know you can't bring dog food back into the USA? I didn't until I got b-tched out 2 years ago by an officer.

Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 11-30-2011 at 09:38 AM

Quote:
Limes are not illegal, just fyi. Good border crossing photos... I think if they saw you taking photos they would be upset, however. .....

The border patrol agent who looked in the coach fridge said they were and I didn't feel like questioning him. And they have all seen me taking photos...for many years..just never any close-ups. I know better.

Quote:
Originally posted by ateo
Seems like San Ysidro is where I get rude treatment. Tecate and Mexicali seem cool. Perhaps the stress level is much higher in Ysidro. Did you know you can't bring dog food back into the USA? I didn't until I got b-tched out 2 years ago by an officer.

Yup..heard that, too. But I have not had to give any up dog food yet. I knew about the eggs, though..and meats like pork, beef, turkey, etc. Every year it seems something is added or deleted. I need to make a check list..starting today.

p.s. edit to add: I am moving my post/s to a separate road trip report thread to avoid any further hijacking of the OP's thread.

[Edited on 11-30-2011 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-30-2011 at 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
Quote:
Limes are not illegal, just fyi. Good border crossing photos... I think if they saw you taking photos they would be upset, however. .....

The border patrol agent who looked in the coach fridge said they were and I didn't feel like questioning him. And they have all seen me taking photos...for many years..just never any close-ups. I know better.

Quote:
Originally posted by ateo

Yup..heard that, too. But I have not had to give any up dog food yet. I knew about the eggs, though..and meats like pork, beef, turkey, etc. Every year it seems something is added or deleted. I need to make a check list..starting today.

p.s. edit to add: I am moving my post/s to a separate road trip report thread to avoid any further hijacking of the OP's thread.

[Edited on 11-30-2011 by Pompano]

Yes, when we pulled up at Tecate on one trip a couple years ago... after he asked if I had any fruit or veggies, I then said "yes, some limes"... He then filled the secondary paper and placed on my windshield... I said, "limes are permitted"... and he answered he wan't sure and since oranges are not permitted, and limes are related to oranges, yadda yadda... LOL

When the inspector in secondary came to my truck and looked at the paper, she said "LIMES?!... Get out of here" and sent us on our way, with our limes... :lol::light::cool:

[Edited on 11-30-2011 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2011 at 12:10 PM

Quote:
Limes are not illegal, just fyi. Good border crossing photos... I think if they saw you taking photos they would be upset, however. Thanks Roger! Be sure to call me again when you stay at Guajome, which is like 2 miles from my house.

This says differently:

https://epermits.aphis.usda.gov/manual/index.cfm?action=cirR...
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 11-30-2011 at 12:51 PM

The luck of the draw! The hour, the day, the people on duty, type vehicle, age/sex/appearance/attitude...... Arbitrary?:biggrin:
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.