Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Trip North Cabo to Tecate
Phil S
Super Nomad

Mood: After 34 years. Still in love w/ my wife

[*] posted on 12-7-2011 at 09:31 PM
Trip North Cabo to Tecate

Left Cabo for San Ignacio. After driving south through the construction south of Todas Santos, decided we didn't want to do it again, so drove to San Jose Del Cabo, taking the toll road (airport road) that bypasses SJDC. What a pleasure drive.
Going was great, and made it through LaPaz without a hitch. weather was great & gassed up at Loreto. Then on north to San Ignacio, staying overnight at The Yurts Motel. Rates were o.k. & the breakfast was incredible. (an understatement for sure) Was cold that night. Think it got down to about low 40's. Good thing the rental had a portable heater, and we put it to good use that night. Next morning, headed out, and arriving at the road construction south of Manendara (sp?) Sorry. David K. Please forgive me!! found the construction to be a no brainer. Whizzed right through without incident.
always a white knuckle drive through Ensenada. All traffic devises are just a suggestion for the "locals" Dennis. Do you drive like the 'locals' do there? Stopped at a nice motel about 8 miles out of town on the hwy to Tecate. Rate was $45.00 for a queen bed. We got room #1 as recommended by a fellow Nomad. turns out we were the only renters that night.
Next morning, headed north to Tecate. Arriving there about l0 a.m. 12 minute wait. Boy. there was a first for us after years of going this way. Found most of the military stops to be quick & friendly. Wished them all Felize Navidad at each stop. You can't (hardly) drive through San Diego & L.A. without driving 80mph without getting run over???? What's with these people??? People were driving 90 & 95 mph, and I stuck with 80 & constantly watching my rear view mirror for a rear ending experience.???? Observation: What the hell is wrong with people with these little cars, driving 80 & 85 mph??? Narrow tires, light weight, & driving like they were going to be late for what? Most were probably little 4 cyl. engines, strained to the max. or little v-6 engines. Saw a few Smart cars doing 75 mph???? WTH?????? Now sitting in Danville Ca having a cold one, and so pooped I'll most likely hit the sack by 9 p.m. & die. this will be a three day rest stop, and then on to Oregon for Christmas.
Felize Navidad fellow Nomads. Enjoy the hot buttered rums, and Irish coffee's. It's cold up here!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[Edited on 12-8-2011 by Phil S]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-7-2011 at 10:22 PM

Thanks for the report... and it is MANEADERO, I think you mean, yes? The place with the yurts is IGNACIO SPRINGS B&B. We stayed there in 2009... and the yurt included 'wildlife experience' at no additional charge :) Yes, a killer Canadian breakfast!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2011 at 02:54 AM

Any info for reservations at San Ignacio Springs B & B? A heater would be great if travelling during the winter! How much? Thanks for the report. Tio
Phil S
Super Nomad

Mood: After 34 years. Still in love w/ my wife

[*] posted on 12-8-2011 at 12:51 PM

We didn't use the Yurts because it was TOO cold that night. Teri (sp?) put us in the concrete block house (thank God. I think it got down to 40 degrees)
David K or someone can come back with the reservation info, we're still on the road right now. Or do a 'search' using the Ignacio Springs B&B & there should be a 'bunch' of stuff come up. We'd stay there again just for the breakfasts. Easily equal to $25.00 breakfasts each at any upscale restaurant in the states). Makes the room price very reasonable. Husband & wife are great folks! Tell them you are a Baja Nomad!! (she says she's a lurker once in a while)

CaboKate

[*] posted on 12-21-2011 at 12:29 PM

Hi Phil, My husband and I will be driving from Seattle to Cabo Dec 27th. The trip south will be faster paced...not sure if 2 days or 3 from the border. Glad to hear your trip went well. It has been 10 years since we have driven the Baja. We have maps etc but just looking for reliable places to stay along the way.

Our return will be in February and hopefully more relaxed with 5 or 6 days to the border. We will then have a utility trailer with some furnishings. Would appreciate suggestions on stopping points.

Border crossing. We both have FM3 and aren't sure if we have to stop at the border heading south. Is Tecate recommended as a better crossing than Tijuana?
CaboKate

[*] posted on 12-21-2011 at 12:31 PM

Ooops! I hit the wrong button! We appreciate any suggestions/recommendations.

Kate
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2011 at 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tiotomasbcs
Any info for reservations at San Ignacio Springs B & B? A heater would be great if travelling during the winter! How much? Thanks for the report. Tio

Maybe I just hit their website when it was being redone, but I did find it interesting that I could not access anything but their home page.

That said, just wish to make one comment. The nice folks that run this place are Canadian. Great place. But, for anyone seeking Mexican experience, ....well.
http://www.ignaciosprings.com/
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-21-2011 at 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil S
We didn't use the Yurts because it was TOO cold that night. Teri (sp?) put us in the concrete block house (thank God. I think it got down to 40 degrees)
David K or someone can come back with the reservation info, we're still on the road right now. Or do a 'search' using the Ignacio Springs B&B & there should be a 'bunch' of stuff come up. We'd stay there again just for the breakfasts. Easily equal to $25.00 breakfasts each at any upscale restaurant in the states). Makes the room price very reasonable. Husband & wife are great folks! Tell them you are a Baja Nomad!! (she says she's a lurker once in a while)

Sorry, but I didn't see this from Phil. Bajahowodd did post the web link, which has the yurt rates. We stayed in the 16' Africa theme yurt (with bathroom) in July, 2009... and had a true 'wild life experience' in the room after dark... lol. They are beautiful yurts on a beautiful location... and the Canadian breakfast was great... but no way will Baja Angel ever stay there again... :lol:

Here are the photos at Ignacio Springs Bed & Breakfast...

Some of the other yurts...

The view...

Sometime after our trip in 2009, the San Ignacio River/ Pond flooded and the yurts were all flooded as well... So, don't know how they may have changed.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2011 at 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Originally posted by Phil S

Sorry, but I didn't see this from Phil. Bajahowodd did post the web link, which has the yurt rates. We stayed in the 16' Africa theme yurt (with bathroom) in July, 2009... and had a true 'wild life experience' in the room after dark... lol. They are beautiful yurts on a beautiful location... and the Canadian breakfast was great... but no way will Baja Angel ever stay there again... :lol:

Here are the photos at Ignacio Springs Bed & Breakfast...

Some of the other yurts...

The view...

Sometime after our trip in 2009, the San Ignacio River/ Pond flooded and the yurts were all flooded as well... So, don't know how they may have changed.

Just curious. You mentioned that your wife won't stay there again.

Is for the same reason I posted, that no matter what it is, no matter how nice it is, but it just ain't Baja.
Just wondering.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2011 at 06:18 PM

Glad you had a safe trip back and thanks for the report.

While Terry and Gary are updating their website---if I remember, they are changing servers, if you cannot contact them through the old webpage, you can find them on Facebook - San Ignacio Springs

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.