BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: 'Baja California, July 1949' A Photo Story with Words By Penny Pickett
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-12-2011 at 12:42 PM

Yah, you can see that... pride!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 12-12-2011 at 12:54 PM

Wow, fantastic story! Suppose they took the old logging road up to the San Pedro Martir? That's how Myron Smith got up there (late 50s/early 60s)...the road would have gone up the foothills above Mike's Sky Ranch, through the Oak groves NW of astrobaja's place I think. Myron and I tried to go back down that road in the mid 90s but it was pretty well washed out...
bufeo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2011 at 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken...Vince,
... I have run into a couple of others that experienced that bridge washout of 1978 over the years.

Ken

We three did...experience the washout, that is. We arrived from the south just as folks were beginning to think a fording was possible. Some local drove into the water in an old, repeat old Dodge Power Wagon. I watched him motor through, then slipped our '76 Chevy ¾-ton 4X4 into 2nd-gear, low-range (left the granny gear as the insurance gear) and followed him.

Once out on river right I stepped out to take some photos and there was a line of vehicles set to cross. I took some shots (one appeared in the Santa Barbara News-Press a few days later) of one or two vehicles in the river.

Pretty exhilarating.

Allen R

[Edited on 12-12-2011 by bufeo]
drpsp71

[*] posted on 12-13-2011 at 10:46 PM

Thank you All for looking at my Baja photo story and, better, seeming to enjoy it. This pleases me very much. I'm extremely grateful to David K for the considerable help he gave me with corrections and suggestions while I was putting it together and especially his gracious offer to post it here for you and others to see.

Here's responses to a few readers' queries since the day David posted the story.
--From Paulina: Did I ever return to Baja? No. It was Ron's kind of place rather than mine. He liked hot places; I prefer moderate temps. Writing the piece, I've proposed to myself several times "Shall I go back for a visit?" Most likely not. Other stories about other places (some mentioned in the story) will keep me busy writing for some time rather than traveling.

--From Bob H: Imagine, indeed. Thank you very much for the link to the awesome Packard photos.

--From Shari: The dresses, yes. Shorts and slacks were uncommon then, more's the pity. Others have remarked too on Kaye's bandbox appearance in the wilderness. At her best, she was always a knockout.

--From tripledigitken: About the sand on, or not on, the car. When I started to write the story some months ago, sand on the car was uppermost in my mind. I recall the trip for the sand everywhere that, it turns out, is not as evident in Ron's 35 mm photos as I had thought. I moved the ones here from a larger box of his pictures that I seem to have misplaced: I've looked for it wherever I can think it might have gotten to. This searching delayed my writing: I'm convinced the lost box has other photos of this Baja trip with more sand. I searched for it off and on to no avail. (I'm pretty sure the small landing strip I mention has a photo, too, existing more than in just my faulty memory.)

But yes, Ron loved his Packards. He'd had an earlier one--1943, I think--then replaced the 1947 with what I think was a 1955 Packard, the one with lights at the sides of the doors. One reason he may have taken good care of the 1947 car, Baja roads and sand nothwithstanding, is that he'd been on a waiting list for it in the war, when metal was given over to building tanks instead. Heaven only knows how he got hold of the earlier one...

I'm glad to find so many people having a good time with the story. Kaye, who just turned 92, purports, most times when I ask her, to have forgotten the trip. I can only imagine what Ron would have thought of it.

Penny aka drpsp71
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2011 at 10:49 PM

Thank you Penny! Glad you wrote the story and did so much research and then to put it on the Internet so the rest of the world could enjoy it!!:bounce:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 12-14-2011 at 07:06 PM

bump///THIS cool stuff//if you love baja
El Vergel
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2012 at 10:14 PM

drpsp71, thank you so much for the sharing of this information and images! Great stuff!
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2012 at 12:08 AM

DAVID K,,where ,,the hell,,do you find,,this stuff ???makes a man rather humble,,,cuass them folk's had,,BIG ball's to do that back then,,in 68,my folk's and us four kid's in a vw bug drove all the way past mexico city and back,, camping most of the way,,,, 6 month trip,,but,nothing like that,,,WOW !! Hey,,I just realized,why I cant stand,, volkswagon's:lol::lol: K&T coming home in a coulpe days..:cool: and a BIG thank you penny !!!!

[Edited on 1-11-2012 by captkw]

[Edited on 1-11-2012 by captkw]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2012 at 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
DAVID K,,where ,,the hell,,do you find,,this stuff ???makes a man rather humble,,,cuass them folk's had,,BIG ball's to do that back then,,in 68,my folk's and us four kid's in a vw bug drove all the way past mexico city and back,, camping most of the way,,,, 6 month trip,,but,nothing like that,,,WOW !! Hey,,I just realized,why I cant stand,, volkswagon's:lol::lol: K&T coming home in a coulpe days..:cool: and a BIG thank you penny !!!!

LOL, well Dr. Penny found me... The Internet is a pretty big deal and I have put a lot of Baja history and travel details out there, over the past dozen years.

The point where her dad ended the attempt to get to El Rosario was very vivid in my memory as well. The top of the grade off the El Rosario mesa.

In 1966, there was a stop sign propped on the rocks at the drop off. It was so steep, my dad first thought it meant 'wrong road', so we continued across the mesa but the road ended at the airstrip (built by the U.S. in WWII for coastal defense operations).

We returned to the stop sign, and believed it was there so you would listen for any vehicles coming up, before venturing down (the road was one lane wide with no pull outs).

captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2012 at 06:23 AM
DAVID

thank's for shareing,,,,do you have any pic's ??? K&T
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2012 at 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
thank's for shareing,,,,do you have any pic's ??? K&T

From the 1966 trip? Yes... A few I have scanned... most are slides... I need one of those scanners that can convert slides to digital to share them here.

Some of the 1966 pictures from my web site:

My first Cardon (past El Rosario)

My first dorado (off Cabo)

My dad and I at the Mazatlan ferry that we took for the return trip home.

captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2012 at 09:23 PM
DAVID K

awesome,,I just,recently received some old foto's from mom,of us kid's on the mainland ,back in 66or maybe 68,no dates,,But I remember ,,that trip,well, and like checking out any old pics of mex and baja,,thank's K&T :cool: ps first fish is like the first girl you kiss......You never forget !!
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 3-4-2012 at 06:14 AM

Great Read! My first trip down was in 1956, while in the Navy at San Diego. Three of us bought a WWII surplus Dodge 4wd Ambulance from a yard in El Cajon. Appeared to be brand new when we got it. Installed a couple of 55 Gallon barrels with a hand pump for fuel, bought some extra rock hard military tires, and started exploring Baja....I wish I had kept some records of where we went, or that my memory was better. We went to Baja every chance we got...Sometimes for weeks at at time...Had a lasting effect, obviously, I have never really left.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2012 at 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
Great Read! My first trip down was in 1956, while in the Navy at San Diego. Three of us bought a WWII surplus Dodge 4wd Ambulance from a yard in El Cajon. Appeared to be brand new when we got it. Installed a couple of 55 Gallon barrels with a hand pump for fuel, bought some extra rock hard military tires, and started exploring Baja....I wish I had kept some records of where we went, or that my memory was better. We went to Baja every chance we got...Sometimes for weeks at at time...Had a lasting effect, obviously, I have never really left.

That would be classic!!! :bounce::bounce:

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2014 at 11:17 PM

Penny contacted me recently and I learned her wonderful 1949 El Rosario story was no longer online. I guess I convinced her it was a wonderful amount of work and research and if she would consider putting it back up, we Baja fans could continue to enjoy it.

Here is the new link to it...

pdf easier to view link: http://picara1940.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/baja-photo-sto...

[Edited on 4-7-2014 by David K]

cocoscabana
Junior Nomad

Mood: Que sera, sera!!!

[*] posted on 4-4-2014 at 08:22 AM

Wonderful story and pics. David...you are such a great source of information!!! You must live in your own private Baja museum? :lol:
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 4-4-2014 at 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
My dream baja rig.............................

1947 Packard.

Looked freshly washed in almost every shot, he must of really loved that car.

Ken

My uncle bought a brand new one in '47 and my first car was a 13 year old 1940.

At 5'0" I was the smallest kid at my high school and driving the biggest car. I had to sit on cushions to see over the windshield and tape 2 x4s on the pedals to reach them. The closest I ever got to a Baja adventure was the Friday night ventures to the TJ bars.

Bob Durrell
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2014 at 12:47 AM

Penny sent me an email saying she improved the look, everything is bigger and easier to read/ see at this pdf link: http://picara1940.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/baja-photo-sto...

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2014 at 10:20 AM

Wow, that was interesting. July 1949 was three months before I was born!

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
Vince
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2014 at 12:57 PM

One of the good reasons for sharing these old travelogues is that is reminds one of his own experiences. Great reading, keep them coming.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.