Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: long range boat fish's east of cape
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 12-31-2011 at 09:09 AM
long range boat fish's east of cape

Hola, acouple day's back..someone posted a story about a s.d. long range boat fishing the gordo bank's..which is east of cabo san lucus,well in mexico's water's and at what most of us consider,the beginning of the sea of cortez,and no one cared,noticed,concerned......hell this week it's los frallies,,then what ,la ventana...this is not a good thing,we still have the Japanese boat's stealing,rapeing the resorce and now the pressure of S.D. long range vessel's..I hope that does not happen again,,my thought are worth 1 centovo !!:fire: K&T
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2011 at 10:18 AM

personally,

I dont think Sport Fishing has much impact on Fisheries

nothing compared to Long Lining and Purse Seining/ Gill netting
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 12-31-2011 at 11:08 AM

another case of NIMBY :?:

Bob Durrell
BajaDanD
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2011 at 04:22 PM

SD long range boats have permission to fish Mex waters. What do you think they are doing when they go long range. Some trips stop in Cabo so the passengers can fly home from there. Those boats pay their fees and so do the passengers, unlike the Japenese boats who pay mostly bribes.
bajabass
Super Nomad

Mood: Want to fish!!!

[*] posted on 12-31-2011 at 08:19 PM

Most don't venture too far on the SOC side, and they pay their dues.

Keep your eyes on the road, and your hands upon the wheel!
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2011 at 08:32 PM

The LR Boats are extremely diligent about adhering to the limits and at 5 fish per angler with a 3 day max they don't do a whole lot of damage

In Memory of E-57
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 12-31-2011 at 08:36 PM

The LR boats have been fishing those areas for a LONG time. On and off, but regularly. Given what Mexican, Japanese, etc., boats do in that area, I'm not sure I see the problem.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2011 at 09:44 PM
s.d. long range

some of the best in the biz,no question about that and great ethic's,, my point is that,,,! this the first time that "I" have heard of it...2nd,,It's a hell of a good sign,, that ,were they normal go,, is void of fish and 3rd that area is the local's fleet at la playita,,is having a hard time with no touristo's and not much fish,and very small compared to my many year's in B.C.S. and damn it,,, Im not a it's all glum guy,,but,,one thing,I ,can tell,in my little brain,,is the stock,s in that area ,,today,compared to my,, last 35 year,s,,,,all DOWN !! I'm not looking to debate/argue/or b-tch,, Im saying"what I am seeing with the fishing in B.C.S. K&T
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 1-1-2012 at 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alan
The LR Boats are extremely diligent about adhering to the limits and at 5 fish per angler with a 3 day max they don't do a whole lot of damage

I think it's actually 10 fish per day (but no more than 5 of a single species, excepting dorado, billfish and maybe sharks) times 3 days.

But, still, it's a pittance compared to what the Mexican commercial boats take, in violation of their own rules.

But it's so much easier to blame the US, instead of locals they know. :rolleyes:

Cardon Man
Super Nomad

Mood: !Al Chingaso!

[*] posted on 1-1-2012 at 08:14 AM

The Long Rangers are fishing legally, that's a fact.
But when a guy makes a long run out to a bank in a panga only to find a foreign charter boat already there railing on fish like mad...well, it's easy to see why a Mexican national would be a bit frustrated.
One has to wonder what the reaction would be if Mexican long range boats were fishing in So.Cal. waters...legal or not. Just sayin....
KaceyJ
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2012 at 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cardon Man
One has to wonder what the reaction would be if Mexican long range boats were fishing in So.Cal. waters...legal or not. Just sayin....

That's an interesting hypothetical there. However , the difference would be that the DFG and the USCG would enforce regulations in existence as they are mandated to do.
Cardon Man
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2012 at 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by KaceyJ

That's an interesting hypothetical there. However , the difference would be that the DFG and the USCG would enforce regulations in existence as they are mandated to do.

That's true. But that would'nt stop the local American fishermen from getting plenty sick of seeing a foreign owned long ranger loading up on "their" fish. Like I said, legal or not, Americans wouldn't like it one bit.
KaceyJ
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2012 at 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cardon Man
Quote:
Originally posted by KaceyJ

That's true. But that would'nt stop the local American fishermen from getting plenty sick of seeing a foreign owned long ranger loading up on "their" fish. Like I said, legal or not, Americans wouldn't like it one bit.

Agree , but
one call from a p'd - off american fisherman would bring in the troups whereas in Mex their enforcement is spotty at best so there's little a panga operator can hope to do.
Cardon Man
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2012 at 08:43 AM

Well observed. Sad but true. Again, let's not forget, the SD long rangers are fishing legally in Mexico. So there's really nothing a panguero can do about it.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2012 at 08:52 AM
pangas not helpless

just saying: a couple of small plastic bottle's of gas and and a SOLAS flare,only the foolish people cant protect themself's..when I was runnnig boat's in costa rica,nicca,panama,,I keeped a small bottle of gas,,under the console,,and on a coulpe of times,,was glad to have a bit of back up !! disclaimer:: this is not a threat,recommendtion,impiled or any other crazy thing you might perceive:lol::lol: K&T

[Edited on 1-1-2012 by captkw]
KaceyJ
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2012 at 09:04 AM

I think overall , given the number of sport fisherman - the ones with their own boats and equipment that are self contained - are responsible for the largest amount of collective take. The long rangers sport boats from the US probably to an overall much less degree.

What bothers me is the amount of waste I see with many sportfisherman. Sometimes it's like catch as much as you can with the excuse of it'll begiven away or such but in reality the catch is excessive and unnecessary.

Seeing pics of a few fisherman with hundreds of pounds of catch makes for a good photo- op but makes me cringe just knowing what will happen to most of the fish. We try to take only what will be used in short order and forget about the bragging rights.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2012 at 09:12 AM
KACEYJ

hola,I agree...when I take folk's out and they want fill up the freezer ,,I try,,try to get some form of conversation going in regard to stewardship,care,love..YES I LOVE the ocean..in regard's to what we need/vs what we should catch..funny thing,,as I get older,I release a lot more fish, than as a kid....K&T:cool:
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2012 at 09:48 AM
roberto

hola,,just ,saw your post and you very wrong on the part about long range boats,fishing that area,,not the gordo banks,no,,wrong,,sorry to correct you,,but this a area I can see from the house with good glasses,, most day's and know the pongo (panga) boys most of my life,,the LR boats do not,have not fished the gordo banks on reg. basis...get a NOAA chart and look where this area is...east...s/e of cobo..lets say 26 miles or so....I think the big fact of the matter is the need for the LR boats to fish that far "inside" and out of the area where,, they usally bang um...K&T:cool:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.