Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 593 lb tuna
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 1-5-2012 at 10:20 AM
593 lb tuna

Today, in Japan, a bluefin tuna wieghing at 593 lbs,,sold for a record $736,000 buck's,,ok that's it,,I going fishing,,this work stuff is over rated,,I just need to catch bigger fish,,I can hang with that.....:lol: K&T
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2012 at 12:16 PM

Here's a link. $1,238 a pound.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/swank-sushi-tu...

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
bajatravelergeorge
Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 1-5-2012 at 12:36 PM

Great. Lets all go out and catch another million bluefin, hoping we're the one to catch a 500+ pounder. The bluefin is already under incredible stress from overfishing. This will just make things worse.
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 1-5-2012 at 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DanO
Here's a link. $1,238 a pound.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/swank-sushi-tu...

...so a typical 56 gram serving of Magru Sashimi will cost $154.75 at breakeven point. (453.59 gram per pound/ 56 gm per serving = 8 servings/pound)

Bob Durrell
Islandbuilder
Senior Nomad

Mood: bewildered

[*] posted on 1-5-2012 at 01:40 PM

That's why it always says "market price" on the chalkboard menues, if they put in down in ink they might kill somebody!
Loretana
Senior Nomad

Mood: alegre

[*] posted on 1-5-2012 at 02:40 PM

What Americans highly prize in Beef has it's counterpart in Bluefin Tuna........

"Toro (fatty tuna belly): In Japan, tuna are graded and priced according to fat content -- the fattiest part of the fish is the most prized -- and toro, cut from the tuna's belly, is usually the most expensive item on a sushi menu. Toro is pink and somewhat opaque, and the sushi chef may identify it as chutoro, which is moderately fat, or otoro, which indicates the highest fat content, tuna that is light pink and extraordinarily tender.

Toro is taken only from bluefin tuna, which are abundant in the waters off the East Coast. Bluefin have never been commercially important in the United States except as pet food, partly because the fish are so enormous that they are awkward for fishermen to handle. Many specimens caught are the size of a baby elephant, and when the cat food market is down, they are often thrown back. The same fish flown to Japan could command an exorbitant price.

A taste of toro goes a long way toward explaining why. Its richness and tenderness approach that of butter. In the winter, when toro, like maguro, is at its best, it is a luxurious and tasty delicacy well worth its price. Out of season, however, it may not live up to its reputation or its price tag."

"If you want to find the secrets of the universe, think in terms of energy, frequency and vibration."
-Nikola Tesla
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 1-5-2012 at 06:37 PM

The larger /older the fish, the more toxins are stored in the flesh.

In northern BC, an old timer pointed that out to me years ago when he said that larger halibut were less desirable than the smaller ones as buyers were more reluctant to buy them.

These days, the health watchdogs suggest that one can of tuna a week is the max suggested due to mercury content.

I bet that old bluefin would glow in the dark :lol:

Don't believe everything you think....
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2012 at 06:39 PM
tuna

once in a great while someone, tuna (albe) fishing off monterey ca. will catch one,but they vary few.. and are 25-30 lbs at best,,,but I seen,ate, toro from many, yellow fin tuna in calif. and Hawaii and I thought" toro" was the fatty belly of any tuna,, learn something new every day...I was at the second biggest fish market,at hilo HA. with the very biggest is in tokyo.. K&T:cool:
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 1-5-2012 at 06:39 PM

yeah Ged, it might. but if you still have a full head of hair and are past having kids a BIG assss fish full of miniscule amounts of mercury wouldn't matter too much!

Spearo
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2012 at 07:38 PM

Those big tuna are so full of mercury they ought to be called thermometer fish.

Were it not for the abdomen, man would easily reckon himself a god.

Friedrich Nietzsche
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 1-5-2012 at 08:04 PM

I am a capitalist. I don't care what the dam fish is stuffed with, for $736,000 I will donate some $ to charity to wash away my yankee evil thoughts!

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 1-5-2012 at 11:35 PM

Don't get me wrong, guys....I still eat tuna sushi....I have most of my hair, all my teeth, and no kids....

So, what the hell.....?

:biggrin:

[Edited on 1-6-2012 by motoged]

Don't believe everything you think....
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 1-6-2012 at 04:21 PM

I like some occasional sashimi, but not THAT damn much. for sushi I prefer eel, octopus etc. Hard to find inexpensive sushi. Maybe get the fixins from the Mercado Negro in Ensenada...if you don't mind the taste of Clorax on 3 day old fish.

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 1-9-2012 at 07:09 PM

Whistler - aren't the giant bluefin they're talking about a different species than the ones we catch out here?

Either way, they are delicious eating, raw. Superior to YFT IMO.
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 1-10-2012 at 09:54 AM

Not being a biologist, this is inconclusive for me vis-a-vis DNA, but they have different names, and would appear to be related subspecies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_bluefin_tuna

Having caught 70-80 pound bluefin on 30lb test and gotten my ass thoroughly kicked for over an hour, I can't begin to imagine what it would be like to catch a 500 pounder. Not even sure it's possible, on "conventional" rod and reel.
Spearo
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2012 at 11:00 AM

I went out on a six pack boat to the Outer Banks of North Carolina back in the early 80's. We hooked what I thought was a rogue Russian sub which proceeded to drag us around for several hours. Everyone on the boat including the captain and mate fought this beast which was finally subdued. It was a bluefin that weighed in over 400 pounds. I think the captain was the most excited person on the boat. The next day we all felt like someone beat us with clubs.

As for the dna analysis, I don't know if the giants are a separate species but our knowledge of big pelagic fishes is pretty sparse. It was only a couple years ago that they figured out the populations of bluefin in the Mediterranean and the east coast of the US were one and the same. This was determined with long-battery-life acoustic transmitters and receivers. This is the same technology that showed that white sharks migrate from the Great Barrier Reef off Australia to the west coast of the US. The oceans are big but they aren't that big.

Were it not for the abdomen, man would easily reckon himself a god.

Friedrich Nietzsche
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 1-10-2012 at 12:19 PM

My favorite fish,my first was caught in 63 at Guadalupe isla on the old Red Rooster,remember like it was yesterday,every morning at daybreak they would show at the south end,and the reels would howl and sing and the gun-shot of over taxed line would explode near by.

Several reels never made it home from that trip:lol:

They would mix with Albies and we would get them on occassion never the giants we are speaking of but yes the Tuna club back in the 20,s got big fish with single action reels and thumb stalls how I don,t know.

A fact that some of you may not know is that bluefin are warm-blooded which may account for their strenght and indurance
something they have in spades.

If you enjoy a good read about big fish try Zane Grey, one such story tells about him hooking up a big Swordfish at 10:30 am and losing the fish 11:30PM,HE WAS THE BEST FISH STORY TELLER EVER
Rob

Anyone can catch fish in a boat but only \"El Pescador Grande\" can get them from the beach.

I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2012 at 12:35 PM
Zane grey

hola, Z.G. was a great story teller and a hell of a outdoor guy,,I have been to his cabin on the Rouge river,,many time's and was always in awe,how far from anywhere,, that, he decided to build and the fishing, is still good in ,,that area !!! K&T :cool:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.