BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Getting in the “way-back” machine to finish a long-forgotten TR
LisaR.
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2012 at 05:32 PM

We pulled into El Rosario, and hoped to get a room at Baja Cactus, but they were full. We back-tracked to the Turista Motel and they had one for us. I’ve heard great things about Baja Cactus, and it sounds like they would be first choice, but if they are full, Turista is a great fall-back option. The grounds are somewhat lacking in charm, but the rooms were new and clean, there was good water pressure, and the bed was comfortable. And I think we paid around $20. You can’t ask for a much better bargain than that!

We were afraid that the party was pretty much over for this trip, but no! There were some fellow nomads staying in a neighboring room, so we all pulled chairs out to the parking lot, and started pouring drinks and talking about adventures in Baja. Still fun times!

It wasn’t a late night, as we all had to get going early the next morning—they were heading south, and we were heading... sigh... I don’t even want to say it again... north. Next morning, we stopped at Mama Espinoza’s for breakfast, and I’m sorry to report that we had the same experience as many others in recent years—it was very mediocre.

A long, long drive this day—a few pictures from the road:

But at least we got to see the famous Hotel California!

What do you mean, that isn’t it? How about this one, then?

That isn’t it, either? Don’t tell me it’s that fancy modern place we saw in Todos Santos?!?

We spent a lot of the day like this:

and this:

Traffic was horrific in Ensenada—I think it was rush hour, but we didn’t get lost like I usually do. Yay! And then there must have been an accident at the toll station, because we got stuck there for over an hour, so we were very relieved to finally see this:

We knew we weren’t going to make it home that night, so we decided to extend our Baja adventure for one more night by staying in Tecate, and crossing the border there. We had never really stopped in Tecate before, so we thought it would be fun. We had travelled that road several times from Rosarito as an alternative to crossing at TJ, so we thought it would be easy. We were wrong on both counts.

To start with the drive, as I said, this was a route we had taken several times in the past. We had just successfully driven over 3000 miles on mostly unfamiliar roads, and now, within a stone’s throw of the border, was where we opted to turn into feeble-minded dorks. We could not for the life of us figure out how to get into Tecate. We had to turn around and traverse the same stretch of highway several times. Sheesh, I do not know what was wrong with us!

We finally found our way into town. Whew. Now, to find somewhere to stay. We had a few places in mind, from the guide books, right around the zocalo. The problem was, there was absolutely nowhere to park to check them out. So we drove a little further down the main street to a motel that the guide books suggested might be a good place. Sometimes things change. Our first clue that we wouldn’t be staying there was when the guy at the front desk asked if we wanted it hourly or for the whole night. At this point, the last thing we wanted to do was get back in the car, but back in the car we went! We drove a little further down and finally found somewhere acceptable, although it was a little dismal and too far to walk to the town square. That’s OK. We finally got a much needed beer, and then took a taxi back to the square to find some tacos and stroll around. It wasn’t that Tecate was bad, we were just exhausted from the drive, and we both wished that we had just shot up to Rosarito, which is easy and familiar to us. On the plus side, al pastor tacos (our favorite!) were 2 x 10 pesos. What a deal. We got to bed early, and our border crossing the next morning was quick and easy.

Another long day of driving, and then, HOME!

Wow, that is one filthy car!

[Edited on 2-6-2012 by LisaR.]
LisaR.
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2012 at 06:12 PM

Hmm, I thought I'd feel relieved that I was done, but I'm a little sad it's over--again! I guess that means it's time for another adventure. Good thing I already have one planned!

:bounce::spingrin::bounce::spingrin::bounce:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-5-2012 at 07:41 PM

Thanks Lisa... and yes, time to plan another Baja adventure and write us another great trip report!

We have twice stayed at Turista Motel when Baja Cactus was full... and enjoyed the new rooms, good mattresses and low low price. It is across the street from Baja's Best B&B... with good breakfasts (I love their chorizo breakfast burritos). Did the new restaurant in front of Turista Motel not yet open?

I wonder what went wrong in Tecate? Since you drove past Jesus, you didn't take the direct road (Hwy. 3) from Ensenada... so either The Corredor 2000 or looping around Tijuana? Then you use the free Hwy. Mex. 2 (best) or the longer and pricey toll highway Mex. 2-D to Tecate.

Anyway, you made it home!

Thanks again, a very enjoyable report!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

LisaR.
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2012 at 08:12 PM

Thanks again for your comments, David. This is funny, but I think you were at Baja Cactus when we were at Turista--one of the nomads we ran into there was Phil, and he said he was meeting up with you. Mark and I really appreciated your excellent advice before the trip and we had hoped to meet you, but it was not to be. I pour an excellent parking lot rum and pineapple--just ask around! Maybe next time...

Anyway, I have no idea what went wrong getting to Tecate. I believe I mentioned that had become feeble-minded dorks? Don't forget, that was the same day as the clouds of red dust construction traffic through Maneadero. Plus, I didn't put this in the TR, but we spent quite some time driving through a rocky dry ravine looking for some mission (Santo Domingo, perhaps?). I know you will understand why we might waste our time on that! ;) We did find that one, eventually. :biggrin:

We did not take 3 because that seemed to be where the awful traffic jam was coming from (or maybe we just missed the turn-off, I'm not sure now). Anyway, we turned off at Popotla (actually, we missed the turn-off before it, even though I should have known better, paid the toll at Rosarito, and back-tracked to Popotla. I mentioned the feeble-minded part, right?), and took 2000. Again, I have no idea what went wrong, because we had done that successfully several times before, when leaving from Rosarito. I just don't know... :?:
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2012 at 08:28 PM

Great pics. Thanks for posting!

El Vergel
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2012 at 04:05 PM
Fab!

This is a fabulous expose of current life and times. Thank you Lisa, for the awesome pics and for sharing! Great stuff.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.