Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Monster fish caught at San Bruno, BCS
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2012 at 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Santiago
I don't want to accuse Pesky of lying, but clearly this photo is not a current one. Dude is wearing, and proudly I might add, WHITE shoes outside the acceptable Memorial Day-to-Labor Day period.

Funny you would notice that, he actually cleaned them up before the picture. I think they were still brown on the inside from pulling that monster in over the transom and watching the back dip down into the water.:lol::lol::lol:

Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2012 at 01:01 PM

On a more serious note; what do you do with a fish like that? How does one dress out such a huge fish? I'm pretty sure my 4" Rapala knife in the anus up to the gill, grab the lower jaw and rip out the guts, slice the blood line and clean it out with the back of the thumb under cold stream water is not gonna work on this fish.
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2012 at 02:50 PM

Quote:
On a more serious note; what do you do with a fish like that? How does one dress out such a huge fish? I'm pretty sure my 4" Rapala knife in the anus up to the gill, grab the lower jaw and rip out the guts, slice the blood line and clean it out with the back of the thumb under cold stream water is not gonna work on this fish.

Rigo is a commercial fisherman and has had a really rough winter trying to get enough fish to financially take care of his family so this was a really welcome relief. The fish actually brought 45 pesos per kilo so it really helped to buy gasoline for the days he came up empty.

MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 2-19-2012 at 02:50 PM

Cut around the anus, then go under the jaw to the to the collar bone both sides. Slice between collar bone and gut cavity,clip the gills, it all slides out. The 4' blade might be a bit short for a good fillet :lol:

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

dean miller
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2012 at 05:49 PM

Congrats to Rigo on a great catch!

I have never had the ability to determine the difference between the Gulf groper and the California Black Sea Bass currently renamed Giant Sea Bass- In your opinion what is this fish?

As you recall from years gone by I could care less about drowning worms but there was a time I did make a dent in the BSB population of SoCal and a number of groper in SOC.

During that time I had a number of conversations with John Fitch, the great SoCal F&G expert on the BSB. John indicated according to his research a 300 pound fish was 90 to 100 years old. When I speared my last big BSB which was over 300 pounds I looked down on it and thought "Abe Lincoln was alive when this fish was hatched." After that I only speared one more BSB

I look at Rigo's fish and and recognize that it is possibly 100 years old & 100 years ago Pancho Villa was forcefully expelling my family from Mexico. For me it puts the age of the fish in perspective.

Please extend a hearty congratulations on a catching a good and great fish

SDM
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 2-20-2012 at 07:06 AM

45 pesos a kilo!!!!.....that's damn good dinero for a big ol fish like that...who woulda thunk it?

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
bajabass
Super Nomad

Mood: Want to fish!!!

[*] posted on 2-20-2012 at 08:42 AM

Fish of a lifetime, congrats to your friend Jim.

Keep your eyes on the road, and your hands upon the wheel!
bajajurel
Nomad

Mood: Fishing for fun

[*] posted on 2-20-2012 at 05:35 PM

Great report Jim. Thanks for sharing and hope the locals do better this year!

bajajurel
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2012 at 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dean miller
Congrats to Rigo on a great catch!

I have never had the ability to determine the difference between the Gulf groper and the California Black Sea Bass currently renamed Giant Sea Bass- In your opinion what is this fish?

As you recall from years gone by I could care less about drowning worms but there was a time I did make a dent in the BSB population of SoCal and a number of groper in SOC.

During that time I had a number of conversations with John Fitch, the great SoCal F&G expert on the BSB. John indicated according to his research a 300 pound fish was 90 to 100 years old. When I speared my last big BSB which was over 300 pounds I looked down on it and thought "Abe Lincoln was alive when this fish was hatched." After that I only speared one more BSB

I look at Rigo's fish and and recognize that it is possibly 100 years old & 100 years ago Pancho Villa was forcefully expelling my family from Mexico. For me it puts the age of the fish in perspective.

Please extend a hearty congratulations on a catching a good and great fish

SDM

Sam, I think this is a Itajara Grouper or Mero Guasa. The back ray fins do not match up exactly with a BSB but that may be only individual differences. It also had some really pretty blue splotches around the gill area and onto the stomach which was very unusual. My avatar on Bloodydecks is a Baja Grouper and that fish was considered big at 160, but this monster was twice that size. We wanted to hoist it up but broke the fish weighing station, so had to settle for the tailgate shot.

Tbone
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2012 at 11:22 AM

Quote:
I don't want to accuse Pesky of lying, but clearly this photo is not a current one. Dude is wearing, and proudly I might add, WHITE shoes outside the acceptable Memorial Day-to-Labor Day period.

Too funny

Mas Pacifico
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.