Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Best handheld GPS for baja
choyero
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2012 at 02:41 PM
Best handheld GPS for baja

I am looking to get a new handheld GPS that I can mount to my dirtbike handlebars as well as use in the truck/boat. I am looking for something that shows mapping as well as has tracks/routes ability. I am new to the whole gps game besides the garmin etrex that I found on the bottom of the river last yr, and use for basic gps use.

I am looking for something that I can use to input tracks that I locate on google earth to lay out a course of travel to meet my desired destination. i'd like sufficient map ability to find an alternative route should my google earth route not pan out.

I'd like to spend under $500 for the gps, software and mounts.

I dont have anger management issues, I have idiot management issues.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-30-2012 at 02:46 PM

See http://www.bajagpsguide.com for some interesting GPS Baja info.

I use a Garmin eTrex Legend as well as the base eTrex, originally.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2012 at 03:11 PM

I use the Garmin 60CSX for car, boat, quad, race quad. 76 series is god as well. both can be had for pretty god prices.

The bad--The software maps are not very god for Baja. I have them all except for the Mexico Atlas (Baja region). Most are way out of date and lack auto routing for your car. The Topo map is excellent for our desert racing.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 3-30-2012 at 03:42 PM

Garmin 76Csx is the marine version of the 60Csx and is a good one (I have the 60 and it is great for the use you describe.).

GPS maps for Baja.... BICI maps are popular, but there are better but hard to find....I have Mexican GPS map software at home and will forward that brand info later....

Don't believe everything you think....
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 3-30-2012 at 04:11 PM

I have used this for a few years.....Garmin GPS map 76...

Never had a problem so far... but hey, it's Baja y'know.... :rolleyes:

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
choyero
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2012 at 04:17 PM

Is the GPSMAP76 and the 76csx the same thing? I like the looks of that GPSMAP76. Is the topo map pretty clear for them?

How about color screen, is it needed or necessary?

Thanks for all the info thus far.

choyero
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2012 at 04:22 PM

motoged and rts551,

what mounts are you running for the gps o the bikes/quads. Did you hardwire it in? if so did you use the garmin cig lighter accessory for this and just run it to the battery?

I've done some reading about using GPS on dirtbikes(advrider.com) and it seems that hardwiring it in is the way to go, as the batteries jiggle around and the unit shuts off occasionly, hardwired in the units never shut down supposively.

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2012 at 04:38 PM

I use the accessory plug (cig lighter) on my quad and a RAM mount. or sometimes put it in the drink holder of my front bag(don't worry, I have two drink holders). In the truck and boat, accessory plug and drink holder. On the race quad, batteries and his camel pack back pack.
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2012 at 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by choyero
motoged and rts551,

what mounts are you running for the gps o the bikes/quads. Did you hardwire it in? if so did you use the garmin cig lighter accessory for this and just run it to the battery?

I've done some reading about using GPS on dirtbikes(advrider.com) and it seems that hardwiring it in is the way to go, as the batteries jiggle around and the unit shuts off occasionly, hardwired in the units never shut down supposively.

I use the Garmin 60 Csx with RAM mount for the unit. I have the Garmin in a Tourtech mount attached to the Ram ball mount on handlebar....and I hardwire it to battery with inline fuse with batteries in Garmin for when needed:

Tourtech mount: (the plastic ram cradle/case is inadequate unless you use an elastic band):

[img]http://www.touratech-usa.com/media/HLewny/01-065-0077-01-lg.jpg?size=prodfull[/img]

Ram Handlebar Ball base mount:

Ram socket arm:

Base for attaching Ram to Tourtech cradle:

GPS MEXICO MAP:

My favourite :
Cartographia Mapa E32-2009:

http://www.cartografiagps.com/mape32/what_is_mape32.htm

[Edited on 3-31-2012 by motoged]

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2012 at 05:59 PM

The CSX models allow you to use a memory card to store maps etc. A must for routes etc
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2012 at 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by choyero
Is the GPSMAP76 and the 76csx the same thing? I like the looks of that GPSMAP76. Is the topo map pretty clear for them?
How about color screen, is it needed or necessary?
Thanks for all the info thus far.

I believe the 60 and 76 C models are older versions with less sensitive satellite reception than the Csx models....hence, the C series is less expensive than the Csx series.

My buddies are big on the Montana Garmins but I don't know anything about them.

I don't care if the screen is color or not, but some units have larger screens.

I don't get awestruck by added googaws as much as I want a simple yet functional unit...

The 76 series is the marine model as it floats or is more waterproof....same guts inside the 60 and 76.

Cyanide41
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2012 at 06:44 AM

I use a Garmin 60CSX and the Mapa E32 mentioned by motoged. I have never had problems with the batteries coming loose. I can't hard wire mine because the bike has no battery.
jack
Nomad

Mood: Eat Heavy

[*] posted on 3-31-2012 at 02:07 PM

I had a 76 CSx and liked it a lot (then it got stolen (on the Baja)). I replaced it with a Garmin Oregon 450 which I like even more, mostly because of the larger screen size. Now Garmin has come out with the Montana that has an even bigger screen, I wish I had it now. All three of these units will auto route and are in your price range.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2012 at 02:40 PM

Auto routing is Map dependent. Even if the GPS will autoroute, many maps do not take advantage of the capablity
choyero
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2012 at 05:27 PM

Bought a like new garmin 60cx, had all the manuals..etc. think I stole it for it for $135. Picked up a spare 4gb micro sd, ram mt, hardwire kit, and usb connections. I have it all mounted up on the bike and it is great. Next step is to get the topo map software.

From what I had seen earlier, I wanted to go with the E32 topos. However they are now $105.
http://www.cartografiagps.com/mape32/shop.htm

Are they worth it, are there any other topos to consider. I don't care about autorouting, just want to see the lay of the land in relation to my position for exploration play.

[Edited on 5-19-2012 by choyero]

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2012 at 05:41 PM

I saw this write up and ordered a cheap pad that says it's GPS compatible. But will it get a signal out in the boonies?
http://www.prcforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=49029&highlight=...

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-18-2012 at 05:42 PM

If it is getting GPS signals... they come from 'above'!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.