Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: AWD Astro Van
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2012 at 12:54 PM

Chuckie Davids a sensitive kinda guy. He expects people to follow his lead.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 4-15-2012 at 03:34 PM

Me too.....

comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 4-15-2012 at 05:56 PM

Can't give a lot of info right now on the road, if you can get a 99 or newer. Have lots of info but later.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2012 at 01:48 AM

OK thanks, I will buy a Van,and start this project when I go back North in July..I'll bring it back here in November, and here it will stay. initial mods will be a body and chassis lift, build some skid plates, swap in a locker, bigger (not monster) tires. I'l kit the interior for camping, and redo whatever mechanicals need redone. Based on the 2 we had at the ranch, should do what I want it to do...

CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2012 at 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
I have had a couple of these around the ranch. They do really well in Mud and Snow.Whatcha think about one with taller tires and skid plates for a Moderate get around Baja rig? I have a Dodge Diesel 4 Wd, but am not terrrible ineterested in tearing it up here...

Chuck

There are a bunch of Baja know it all's on here and they are legends in their own mind. However, the reality is pretty simple. You are looking for "moderate" rig. You will be able to get around the roads and probably off road, should there be a wash out or you want to hit the beach. Debating about AWD v 4x4 is neither here nor there. It all boils down to how much weight you have in your van and how much air in the tires. Sounds like a fun project.
I recently bought a 88 bronco that I use to load up all of my beach chairs and umbrellas, ice chests, boom box, fishing gear, food etc.
It is a blast to have the comfort of a comfy riding auto to hand at the beach.

PS If you ever spend any time in San Felipe you will see all types of trucks some 2x4 some 4x4 doing just fine driving down the beach selling some great drinks!!
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2012 at 11:32 AM

Thats about what I want to use it for..Living in Baja pretty much full time now,after 30+ years of 3/4 time, I have found lots of places I like to go and stay for a few days...Example La Purisima to intercept the NORRA race, Beaches at Abreojos, etc. We have a nice home in Mulege, but once in a while, I remember what drew me to Baja in the first place...I had a couple of Astros, rigged as hunting Vehicles, and in snow and mud they were way satisfactory...Project will be done with my stepson, which will make it more fun...Thanks...

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 4-16-2012 at 01:22 PM

Have fun with it .... sounds like you have it down pretty good ... I bought a 86 Bronco when down a year back, for the same use as CortezBlue ... now it is just sitting out front .. have disconnected the battery .. but, It fires up, when needed...

And I think of the 33 gallon fuel tank as a reserve, for the back up generator in case the power goes out for a while ...

jack
Nomad

Mood: Eat Heavy

[*] posted on 4-17-2012 at 01:06 PM

I had an Astro AWD van that I took to the Baja for years. They have a very good 4 wheel drive system, the front and rear axles are always engaged, there's no waiting around for wheel slippage before the 4 wheel drive engages like most other AWD's. Another plus is that even with full time 4 wheel drive the van still got pretty good gas mileage. Ground clearance is not bad at 7 1/2" to the bottom of the rear differential. Power is also pretty good for a 4.3 L motor. I went places in deep sand where diesel pickups could not hope to go :D. I took the rear seats out of it when I went to the Baja and put in a queen size bed and a portapotty. All camping gear was stored under the bed. I pulled an enclosed trailer with my dirt bike and I could go pretty well any where I wanted. The only reason I got rid of it was that the wife wanted an RV and the towing capacity of the Astro is only 5000 lbs. The van was far more practical then the 4x4 3/4 ton extended cab PU that I have now, I liked the Astro's 4 wheel drive system far more then the part time system that I have now. I can't figure out why GM quit building them.

Mexico 2005 001 (Small).jpg - 37kB
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2012 at 03:08 PM

Thanks! We have already started parts aquisition in anticipation of the project starting....Havnt bought a Van yet :?: But have found and bought a set of S10 springs and ordered some hardware.. I'll be looking for a 95ish Cargo Van in July, hopefully in the Grand Junction Colorado area..Work will be done at my Stepsons place in Fruita...Should have kept the one I sold last year and used it as the project basis :no: Unless I cut them up for something else, I should still have the bunk and cabinets in the shop :saint: Conjecture has started on engine tweakage :?: These projects get out of control fast dont they....:o:o

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2012 at 03:30 PM

your call but 95's with their center port injection and that flippin EGR valve issue didnt make my 95 the best one ive had. I would look newer if possible. my 03 was a dream compared. and I loved the dutch doors but thats just me. ----JMHO---
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2012 at 03:47 PM

oh yeah, and the 17 inch 4 wheel disc brakes didnt hurt either
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2012 at 04:09 PM

Ok, That makes sense...Thanks for the input..easy to do since I havnt bought one yet...:biggrin:

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.