Printable Version  
Author: Subject: New 'Baja' Tacoma commercial
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-2-2012 at 09:51 AM
New 'Baja' Tacoma commercial

For what-ever reason, they didn't film it in Baja!!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 5-2-2012 at 11:35 AM

Interesting that Joe Gibbs is in the commercial.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2012 at 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
Interesting that Joe Gibbs is in the commercial.

Do you know that he is a NASCAR team owner running Toyotas? I believe the most successful one running Toys too.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 5-2-2012 at 05:29 PM

Yes...Not doing very well this year..Rumor has it, switching to Chevrolets next season....

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 5-2-2012 at 06:26 PM

I don't know about driving a truck that's actually named "Baja" in Baja----sorta like Groucho Marx's axiom of not being a member of a club that would have him as a member.... :biggrin:
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2012 at 03:12 PM

Kinda like all the folks whose nickname is "BAJA" Fred, George, Jack, Tom, willie, Charlie, Sue etc etc etc...Makes ya wonder...

David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 5-3-2012 at 04:42 PM

I agree it is a poor commercial.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 5-3-2012 at 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
Kinda like all the folks whose nickname is "BAJA" Fred, George, Jack, Tom, willie, Charlie, Sue etc etc etc...Makes ya wonder...

Since the "Taco" in my name comes from my Tacoma....I guess I'm in double trouble :lol:

However, I sure wish they'd come out with a true off-road ready little truck: Small (like the old days); solid axle; twin t-case; manual hubs and trans; turbo diesel; lockers; big tires; heavy duty skid plates; heavy duty bumpers; no A-TRAC, no electronic beeping, no 'hill decent assist'. :light:

Sorry just day dreaming. I know most of those will never happen :P

Truth generally lies in the coordination of antagonistic opinions
-Herbert Spencer
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 5-3-2012 at 04:57 PM

A-trac and trac rocks big time. way way more capable than my 05 with only a rear locker.

chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2012 at 05:05 PM

I think we are way past simplicity and function. The "New" generation will insist on things that do for them,instead of doing it themselves. And the cost of all these features has driven prices so far up scale that the purchase of a new truck is a fashion statement..Mine cost more than yours..

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2012 at 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Taco de Baja
Quote:

Since the "Taco" in my name comes from my Tacoma....I guess I'm in double trouble :lol:

However, I sure wish they'd come out with a true off-road ready little truck: Small (like the old days); solid axle; twin t-case; manual hubs and trans; turbo diesel; lockers; big tires; heavy duty skid plates; heavy duty bumpers; no A-TRAC, no electronic beeping, no 'hill decent assist'. :light:

I'm pretty happy with our 2009 Tacoma despite it all...though there was one annoying beep I kept getting driving up the sandy washes----whenever the truck would slide sideways, which happens a lot going up those deep sand spots, the truck would beep....I guess its a sensor for driving on ice/snow to let you know if you're sliding.......
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 5-3-2012 at 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron
Quote:
Quote:

I'm pretty happy with our 2009 Tacoma despite it all...though there was one annoying beep I kept getting driving up the sandy washes----whenever the truck would slide sideways, which happens a lot going up those deep sand spots, the truck would beep....I guess its a sensor for driving on ice/snow to let you know if you're sliding.......

The beep-beep-beep is the VSC alerting you it is 'working' at correcting the slide-out. In a sand wash, I also got that when I first took my '10 Tacoma south of San Felipe... YOU CAN TURN IT OFF... Stop driving, press and hold the VSC button (car with skid tracks) for 3-5 seconds. A VSC OFF light will come on. Now, you have no VSC or traction control until you press the button again, or re-start the truck. However, if the system detects you are in danger of rolling, it will re-activate to save your truck.

You also can disable the beeper if you don't get used to it!

VSC= Vehicle Stability Control (from Bosch), the greatest safety item on cars since the seat belt, it has been said.

TRAC is limited slip (in H4), and A-TRAC (in L4) is like super-limited or non-slip... basically is 'automatic lockers' on the front and rear... available only on Off Road TRD 4WD Tacos (2009+)... Some special order Tacos had it earlier. The 4Runners, FJ Cruisers, Land Cruisers and Lexus SUVs had it before the Tacoma and Tundra Off Road TRDs got it.

Of course the rear locker is still there... but is rarley needed now that we have A-TRAC!:light:

[Edited on 5-4-2012 by David K]

CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2012 at 10:42 PM

Wee Todd Did
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2012 at 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The beep-beep-beep is the VSC alerting you it is 'working' at correcting the slide-out. In a sand wash, I also got that when I first took my '10 Tacoma south of San Felipe... YOU CAN TURN IT OFF... Stop driving, press and hold the VSC button (car with skid tracks) for 3-5 seconds. A VSC OFF light will come on. Now, you have no VSC or traction control until you press the button again, or re-start the truck. However, if the system detects you are in danger of rolling, it will re-activate to save your truck.

VSC= Vehicle Stability Control (from Bosch), the greatest safety item on cars since the seat belt, it has been said.

TRAC is limited slip (in H4), and A-TRAC (in L4) is like super-limited or non-slip... basically is 'automatic lockers' on the front and rear... available only on Off Road TRD 4WD Tacos (2009+)... Some special order Tacos had it earlier. The 4Runners, FJ Cruisers, Land Cruisers and Lexus SUVs had it before the Tacoma and Tundra Off Road TRDs got it.

Of course the rear locker is still there... but is rarley needed now that we have A-TRAC!:light:

Cool---good to know David----thanks!!!!:light::light::light:
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 5-4-2012 at 09:04 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Cool---good to know David----thanks!!!!:light::light::light:

You should see some of my posts on Tacoma World on the traction controls, Steve! It is sad that Toyota makes such great trucks, but is so bad at information on how to use the technology they have.

Between three buttons (VSC, A-TRAC, Rear Locker) and the 4WD dial, you have 9 choices of drive modes in an Off Road 4WD Tacoma (2009+)...

VSC is Vehicle Stability Control (keeps vehicle going where intended)

TRAC in H2 is a limited slip system that regulates engine output.

AUTO LSD in H2 is a limited slip system that doesn't regulate engine output.

TRAC in H4 is a limited slip system that doesn't regulate engine output.

A-TRAC in L4 is a system that equalizes torque across the front and rear axles to keep the truck moving over severe off road surfaces or lack of surface (with only one tire of four on solid ground, A-TRAC can move the vehicle). Some slipping occurs to allow steering and adjust to the surface traction needs.

REAR LOCKING DIFFERENTIAL is available to equalize the torque across the rear axle with no slipping of the rear tires. Steering can be affected, so Toyota recommends use for emergency (stuck) situations.

UP TO NINE DRIVE MODES

1) Normal street driving: H2 TRAC ON and VSC is on.

2) Slippery conditions, to get moving from a stuck: H2 AUTO LSD ON (VSC is off under 30 mph). Press VSC button once while moving or stopped.

3) Spinning tires prefered: H2 VSC OFF/ TRAC OFF. Press and hold down VSC button 3+ seconds, while stopped.

4) Loose dirt, sand, snow: H4 TRAC ON and VSC is on.

5) Spinning tires prefered, off pavement: H4 VSC OFF/ TRAC OFF. Press and hold down VSC button 3+ seconds, while stopped.

6) Spinning tires prefered with low gearing torque: L4 (with A-TRAC off)

7) Steep grades, large rocks, deep mud, severe traction conditions: L4 with A-TRAC ON. Press A-TRAC button once.

8) Spinning tires in front only: L4 with REAR DIFFERENTIAL LOCKED.

9) L4 REAR LOCKED and A-TRAC ON. A-TRAC comes on automatically when speed drops to under 3 mph to provide front traction to get you going, again.

ALL Tacomas have 1-3. ALL 4WD Tacomas have 1-6. ONLY 4WD OFF ROAD TRD Tacomas have 1-9.

This chart is very handy to see how to use the VSC button (Toyota calls it a switch):

ENJOY!

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 5-4-2012 at 09:23 AM

just thought I'd mention this...Juan is selling his sweet little Toyota as he needs a bigger truck for pulling our boat trailer on holidays so he's looking for a Tacoma...something around the $10,ooo range...will pay cash or part in trade for a lot in Asuncion if anyone knows of someone selling a Tacomo....he is also considering a Nissan 6 cylinder 4X4 if one come up...any ideas on which would be a better truck for him?

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.