Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: GOT BAJA MUD? 33 inch Goodyear MTR w/Kevlar Mud Evaluation
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 7-18-2012 at 05:51 PM
GOT BAJA MUD? 33 inch Goodyear MTR w/Kevlar Mud Evaluation

Goodyear MTRw/Kevlar vs. Goodyear MT/R vs. Interco TrXus MT vs. BFGoodrich All-Terrain

GOT MUD?

I have run Interco TrXus MT tires for 9 years on my Rubicon. My friend Mike has run Goodyear MTRw/Kevlar for about 2 years on his LJ Rubicon, and we went on a run with two guys running BFGoodrich All-Terrain tires and Goodyear MT/Rs.

Since a picture is worth a thousand words, I will let the photos talk.:hide:

My Jeep after getting fished out of a mud hole.:wavey:

The guys with their winch controllers on the ready!:popcorn:

Closeup of the Interco TrXus MT - Packed in with mud/dirt.

Rubicon with BFGoodrich All-Terrain's takes the easy line through the mud hole.

Momentum through the more hairy section.

BFGoodrich - PACKED WITH MUD

The TJ Wrangler w/rear locker churning through the thick slop w/Goodyear MT/Rs!

Goodyear MT/R - PACKED WITH MUD

The LJ Rubicon w/front and rear lockers churning through the thick slip w/momentum w/Goodyear MTR w/Kevlar!

Tread lugs are clean, and no momentum was lost!

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2012 at 10:24 AM

I think it has more to do with the tread design than with the Kevlar. The MTR with Kevlar has a wider open area vs the reg. MTR design. I can tell you from experience the BFG TA KO is not good in the mud and not that great in the snow either. But they are my choice for Baja and the desert.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 7-19-2012 at 11:26 PM
3 Strikes Law

Strike 1:
On the route from Mike's Sky Rancho to the Observatory Road, I lost traction (with my 33" BFGoodrich AT-preKO tread) at the cliff rounding the boulder in the trail. My (Professionally-trained) trail spotter was scared for my life after she saw that! I was driving my Ford Ranger w/4.56 gearing, 4WD, and open differentials.

Me standing next to my Ford Ranger w/Pre-KO BFGoodrich All-Terrain tires - remaining two on rear axle.

Strike 2:
On the (DESERT) route to Mission Santa Maria, in my Rubicon (I might add), my All-Terrain tires lost complete traction traveling through the swamp area. It felt like I literally had no forward control! The ride on Hwy 1 was quiet and well-mannered, however.

Strike 3:
Traveling down Gold Crown Road into Joshua Tree NP, my BFGoodrich All-Terrain that I had been using as a trail spare literally split apart at the sidewall, completely shredding itself like confetti. It was aired down to 15 p.s.i. but that didn't seem to help nor hinder. I had to mount my 2-Ply sidewalled Interco TrXus MT with the cut sidewall - that amazingly performed better, and did not split apart like the BFGoodrich 3-Ply tire!

I'm glad that you can run the All-Terrain T/A and not have problems. I really liked the well-mannered ride. The performance off-road left so much to be desired.

[Edited on 7-20-2012 by Ken Cooke]

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2012 at 12:21 PM

I've been on most of the trails in Baja and many in Death Valley over the past 35 years and I've had a total of three flats off road. Two on a BFG TA KO sharp rock thru the tread and one on a Pep Boys tire, not BFG, also thru the tread. I've never had a side wall puncture. I'll go knock on wood now for the future. All three flats were on tires with less tread than I usually run, I was trying to get some extra milage out of them and paid the price.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 7-20-2012 at 12:29 PM

Under the right conditions the moisture/soil content can clog(Is clog a good word) most any type of tire tread configerations. Ever heard of "Owl chit"?:biggrin:

[Edited on 7/20/2012 by Cypress]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.