Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Coopers or BFGs?
bonanza bucko
Senior Nomad

Mood: Airport Bum

[*] posted on 7-22-2012 at 07:08 AM

Nobody here said anything about three ply side walls which is the main reason I run BFG TAs. Now that THAT ROAD south of Puertecitos has been paved there is less need for the 3 ply side walls but I still feel better having them for running around the "roads" near Gonzaga Bay. I am not aware...maybe you are....of other brands that have such side walls.

I am on my 6th set of TAs, first on a Toyota Tundra 4X4 and now on an F150 Crew Cab 4X4. I normally get 35,000 miles on a set....sometimes I get new ones when the old ones get stiff and noisy. I think the TAs would easily go 45K on my trucks.

I don't see much need to experiment with other tires since experimenting involves finding out too late on some back Baja road that I really should have just kept the TAs.

BTW...I discovered that a "road pressure" balance job lasts pretty much the life of the tire whereas the Discount Tire dynamic balance I had been getting didn't. Do you have any experience with this?

BB:-)
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2012 at 12:07 PM
BFG wear issue

2006 Tacoma - original tires replaced at 23,000 with BFG 265/75/16 KOs - they gave great service, no flats, and I got 63,000 miles from them. So I replace them, 86,000 on the odometer. Now, second set of BFG T/A KO are about worn out and only 35,000 miles, they might go to 40,000. I was peeed - went back to Discount Tire and they shrugged their collective shoulders and the huge mileage difference, "Oh well" they said, "too bad." Over $900 for a new set of four, with no consideration for the poor tire life of my second set.

I talked to BFG customer service and got a nice email assuring me that BFG had not changed the compound or anything to explain the horrid mileage. But, they did tell me to have Discount Tire call them when I'm there to buy my third set and they would "help" me out. Didn't explain to me what the help might be....$50 off, maybe $75 less ?????

Now, after many years of praising and owning BFGs on two Jeeps plus this Tacoma I'm just not sure.

Looking at General Grabbers - they won't get good mileage but my wife likes the red lettered sidewall, the color nearly matches our "Toy."

John M

[Edited on 7-22-2012 by John M]
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2012 at 01:17 PM

John, I wonder if the milage thing has to do with the ply rating on the BFGs. I've been running 10 ply rating on my GMC with good milage 50,000+. But when I needed new tires on my 07 Tacoma at work I got the 8 ply rating and they didn't last that long maybe 30,000. I had new BFGs put on my 04 Tacoma in Jan and they are 8 ply rated. When I asked the difference they said the 10 ply was for hauling heavy loads, but I'm wondering if the rubber compound is different. I'll see how my Tacoma holds up.
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2012 at 01:42 PM
Tire rating

I had a similar thought TW so I checked both the first set invoice and the sidewall on the current set, both Load Range E -

Maybe there is another rated sidewall?

John
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2012 at 01:54 PM

I just looked at my Tacoma and GMC and they both say Load Range E too.
Maybe I should have another talk with the Big Brand tire guy.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 7-22-2012 at 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
But when I needed new tires on my 07 Tacoma at work I got the 8 ply rating and they didn't last that long maybe 30,000.

I would say that you were jipped on two fronts.

Traction - The BFGoodrich AT KO has marginal traction at best. They can't be trusted when you need traction the most.

Value - Only 30,000 miles and they went bald? What good is that?? My Interco TrXus MTs have about 35,000 miles with another 5,000 miles to go. Plus, I have a mud-terrain tire offering smooth, quiet ride on the street.

...and you're going to buy another set??? I don't get it.

John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2012 at 02:19 PM
tire mileage

I would agree Ken, except that I now have 35,000 and think I can expect another 5,000 with a dependable amount of tread remaining; but that is nothing like the first set on my Tacoma. Again, the first BFG T/A KOs got me 63,000 and I was really happy about that.

As for traction, for the style of off-highway driving we do I have not had "traction" issues.

What is the cost of the tires you like, and I wonder if they make 'em in 265/75/16

John
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2012 at 02:29 PM

I am reviewing information on the following tires:

Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ (a mild Mud-Terrain Tire)
Goodyear MTR w/Kevlar (a mild Mud-Terrain tire)
Interco TrXus MT (a split Mud-Terrain/All-Terrain tire)

Mileage is an important consideration, as is a smooth, quiet ride with plenty of off-road traction for the desert and occasional snow runs. I have a friend who will only run the Baja MTZ tire, and has told me for several years about the benefits of this tire. At the Off Road Expo, I walked up to the Mickey Thompson booth and spoke with the reps about the MTZ, etc. It continues to get high marks from consumers, and of the three tires mentioned above, might be my next pick.

But, I have run BFGs enough in the past that I know they make a tire with a vulnerable sidewall that has failed on the Pole Line Road, in Joshua Tree, and nearly helped me slide off the shelf road behind Mike's Sky Rancho. No bueno.

Interco TrXus MT:
http://www.intercotire.com/tires.php?id=11&g=1

Goodyear MTR w/Kevlar:
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/wheels-tires/104633-bi...

David A.
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2012 at 05:37 AM

I have Mickey Thompson Baja tires on my 05 Dodge diesel 4X4 and they have been flawless. 40,000 miles and still plenty of tread. The BFG's lasted 34,000 (35's) and they were done. The BFG's were D rated and the Mickey Thompsons are E rated.

[Edited on 7-25-2012 by David A.]
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2012 at 01:30 PM
Mickey Thompson

I see where they advertise "some sizes" with 3 ply sidewalls.

Which MT tire do you have?

John M
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 7-25-2012 at 01:46 PM

All this tire BS is tiresome. Tires? You get what you pay for and you pay for what you get. If you run thru a rock pile and get a hole punched in your side wall, you're gonna blame it on the tire? Maybe you should be running a track vehicle?:lol:
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2012 at 03:14 PM
Cypress - why oh why?

Cypress, with the thread title obvious that this was to be a tire thread "Coopers or BFG" I have to wonder why you even took the time and effort to read through two pages of posts, and even more effort to reply?

My two cents worth was to the effect that I did pay a good price for my tires and didn't feel I got my money's worth - a valid discussion of "you get what you pay for."

John M
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2012 at 04:51 PM
siping at discount tire

Im curious how many of you have your new tires siped. I swear my first set of bfg ko's ( siped at discount tire) way outlasted my second set (non siped) on the same vehicle. the story was reduced heat and better traction. now these were mostly dry highway miles so I cant really speak of the traction issue but my next set (of whatever) will go thru the siper. anyone?
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2012 at 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by John M
I see where they advertise "some sizes" with 3 ply sidewalls.

Which MT tire do you have?

John M

I now have the Interco TrXus MT. I went to a 4WD Club meeting at Riverside Brew n' Chew yesterday, and talked with a guy that runs the BFG MT/KM2s. These tires run small and narrow for their size, but are lighter than comparable mud terrain tires. My Interco TrXus MT tires run true to size, but are lighter, 2-ply tires with thick plies that are cut and puncture resistant (made in Louisiana). In 9 years, I had 1 tire lose air, but not go flat - a sharp stick puncture on the beach in Gonzaga Bay caused the problem. The tire held air, and needed a plug (at America's Tire) when I returned NOB. That was in 2008. I still run the tire.

Jeep Rubicon LJ (yellow), Rubicon TJ (silver - mine), Rubicon LJ (tan - Mikes), and Rubicon JK!

[Edited on 7-26-2012 by Ken Cooke]

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2012 at 01:16 AM

OMG, another tire thread!

:yes::tumble::spingrin::smug:;D:bounce:

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.