Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Short trip to Rosarito- July21, 2012
jureal
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2012 at 10:03 AM
Short trip to Rosarito- July21, 2012

My wife needed to drop off an artwork to donate to Make a Wish so we needed to go to San Diego anyways. Friends have a place in Rosarito that they invited us to use so off we went with the teen daughters in tow.

Had a nice visit there but it just isn't my kind of town. Breakfast was at the in-grounds restaurant by the sea in the Quinta Del Mar complex. Nice place but not unlike what we have here in CA. Late breakfast so we skipped lunch and made the short drive to Popotla. Was way too crowded to stop so we made the turn around and headed out. No wonder everyone parks outside and walk.... lol
We went to Puerto Nuevo to just shop and sightsee.... way too early to eat yet so we made our way back towards Rosarito. We did stop at Mercado del Mar and had the tour of the Tequilla room. Bought a couple bottles and headed back to Rosarito. Parked the car in the QDM complex and walked south a bit and ate Mariscos at a small restaurant just past the Smart and Final. That cuberta of DosXX was a killer and that was it for the evening.

Sunday, after breakfast and a nap, we decided to head back home. Well, after a stop at Popotla to shop for a cement turtle, we decided to take the Corredor 2000 and cross at Tecate. Seems like about an hours drive to Tecate from Popotla.... maybe more... but a long drive. I took the toll Tecate road but maybe I should have taken to free road??? Got into Tecate about 2:30 so it's time for some lunch. They have a nice little park there in town so we parked and looked around. This place is more like the parks that most Mexican towns seems to have and there was a restaurant with outdoor seating there so this is where we ate. This is the kind of place that was missing in Rosarito.... a kind of place that reminds me of Old Mexico.... that and a Malecon.... I missed .
Anyways, we found our way to the border.... It was 3:30 pm when we arrived and finally crossed at 5:30.... a whopping 2 hours in line. Well, it must be an extra 30 mins to Tecate and then another 30 mins from Tecate to SD. So, let's say three hours total. So what was the wait at Otay???? Did I save any time? Oh yeah, plus the gas and plus the 91 pesos toll :?: So should I be :bounce: or :(
bigjohn
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2012 at 05:40 PM

You got to get out of Torrance for the weekend, so you should be :bounce:
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 7-24-2012 at 08:23 AM

This is the kind of border crossing report we need more off.

10 minute wait at Tecate...my butt!

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 7-24-2012 at 08:32 AM
It has been a very long time since that border was easy

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo

"Back in the day" maybe
but every time I cross there these days it is minimum hour and generally a lot more.
Two gates is not enough

And, has anyone else noticed???
Seems like when the line appears to be short, like just up the hill a bit, that they take a lot longer per car, to make it still a lengthy wait.

Maybe just my personal lack of patience
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 7-24-2012 at 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by thebajarunner
Quote:
Originally posted by Udo

"Back in the day" maybe
but every time I cross there these days it is minimum hour and generally a lot more.
Two gates is not enough

And, has anyone else noticed???
Seems like when the line appears to be short, like just up the hill a bit, that they take a lot longer per car, to make it still a lengthy wait.

Maybe just my personal lack of patience

I thought it was just Me, Yes they do slow down the Process,I have in the past been asked by the person in the booth how long I waited in line.:mad::mad:
jureal
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2012 at 10:01 AM
Some photos

This is the front of Mercado del Mar in Popotla

This is a couple of photos of the inside of the Tequilla room. Did not count but more tequilla in one place than I have ever seen.

Mariscos Jacalito where we had lunch

Lunch the next day in Tecate in the Jardin

And lastly, the two hour wait at the Tecate border

The lines start with three lanes but the lane on the left is only for the ready lanes and many cars had to merge back to the center lane. The lane at the right side is where you should be as it was generally faster and not bothered with the traffic merging out of the ready lane. You can see the line of cars all the way to the bottom of the hill. At the bottom, there is a stop sign and you will be directed by the military guard when to make the right turn into the border inspection gates. Like I said, this is a two hour wait from the top of the hill.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2012 at 10:13 AM

I think this ready lane is a sunday only pilot program to help speed things up. doesnt sound like its working too well?:no:
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2012 at 11:21 AM

good report. stay far away from Tecate to cross border but go there for a good relaxing lunch !

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
brewer
Nomad

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 7-24-2012 at 06:38 PM

On our way back earlier this month the regular route to the boarder line was closed, after the round about and where the boarder/garita sign is. We had to back track through the neighborhood towards the hill and then take that lane down, the lane where the 3rd row is in your pix, to the bottom. Wait was almost three hours. It was Sat. about 5pm. My friends tranny blew in line and I had to tow him with a strap up and down through the gates. They just wanted us out of their hair, so no secondary this time. But still a 3 hour wait. I too was wondering about Otay.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.