Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Trip to Punta Chivato
mooose29
Nomad

Mood: All Smiles

[*] posted on 8-17-2012 at 04:29 PM
Trip to Punta Chivato

Just a quick recap of our trip last week to give everyone some updated info.

We left Encinitas at 6am on Wed Aug 8th, with 2 suburbans, 3 dogs, 4 adults, and 5 kids so needless to say the vehicles were full.

Stopped at SY and got our visa's stamped, we had pre paid at Discover Baja we were in and out in less then 10 minutes. For the first time in a long time had the car inspected at the border before we could leave the declare area. got on the toll rd and we were on our way.

Toll rd was easy with a few construction areas but nothing major. Traffic through Ensenada was a breeze, but the traffic from Ensenada to SQ was not, lots of trucks and slow moving traffic. Oh well take a deep breath and just go with the flow we are in Baja now. Still some construction and at one of the work sites we saw a Federale radaring cars as they speed through. This would be the first of 7 Federales we would see on the trip and all looked to be activily giving tickets. for the record we saw them pull over 3 Mexican plated cars all of whom were either speeding or passing over a solid line. I have never seen this much police activity but that is prpoably a good thing. Also never seen Mexican plated cars getting pulled over that much

Got to Mama's around lunch time, filled up with gas and had some great tacos de Jaiba. I know everyone has their own opinion but I have never had a bad meal there and have probably eaten there over 40 times. And yes I know it is not the cheepest but it is tradition that my family looks forward to everytime we go.

I always feel like once we make the left turn at El Rosario that is when we can relax a little bit and start enjoying the wide openess of Baja

Rd south of El Rosario was deserted very little traffic but I did see more American's then when we were down in May. Stopped at Santa Ines in Catavina to let the dogs run around a bit and it was a cool 103 :lol: so we did not stay long. some more construction by the military check point N of Jesus Maria but well graded and no problem.

got to GN and checked in to the Malarrimo, they said no dogs but lucky it was in the 60's so the dogs would be good in the car otherwise we would have gone somewhere else.

took the dogs for a walk through GN and it is always funny to see that even though they are on a leash almost every person we encountered moved away from the dogs, or maybe it was us :D First time I had walked through the entire town.

Had a very nice diner hit the hay and were on the rd by 6 am, drove a bit slower as it was raining for about the first 45 minutes or so. We arrived to the house a little after 10 with a stop for groceries and beer.

The week was hot but the wind kept it bearable most days. One day the wind stopped and that was not fun, super hot and humid. Temps avergaed in the mid 90's but one day did get into the 100's and upper 80's for low's at night and the humididity seemed to fluctuate throughout the week. Our combat for the heat at night are fans and when it is really hot we sleep with frozen water or gatorade bottles under our arm or neck.

We spent the week in the water, snorkeling, fishing, riding quads, playing games, eating great food, fixing broken things and having a very relaxing and enjoyable time. The kids, 3 boys all 12, and 2 girls, 15 and 10, would have daily airsoft wars that kept them entertained for hours. amazing an entire week with no TV or video games and I heard no complaints and every night they went to bed tired from playing so hard all day.

One of the adults got hit by a stingray but must have been a small one as the pain only lasted about 1 1/2 with hot water bath, some times we have seen the pain last 4+ hours. he got hit on his upper shin after he dove in and kneeled down on the sand. I had to cut off the top of an arrowhead water bottle to make a bucket big enough to have the hot water reach the pucture.

Bummer was the outboard on the zodiac would not run past idle. It idled fine but once you would give it gas it would just flood. In looking at it while it idled gas was leaking out of the carburator from it seemed like everywhere. I am thinking a seal has gone bad, or some bad gas has gunked it up and causing the gas to flow out. I did not take it apart, maybe I will find someone down there to work on it or do it in Nov when we are down.

Went into Mulege one day to see the Mission, it was closed, get some ice cream she was open Thank God or my daughter would have been super bummed, buy some more Tequila and groceries, and then we went to La Serinidad for lunch and margaritas. No Pig roast this time of year we were told as just not enough people and too hot. we had a very nice time the kids swam in the pool and the dogs were allowed to hang with us at our table. It is always ice to stop in there and have a drink and some food. Tried to go to the bar in Mulege that the Americans hang at but it was closed. Funny for lunch the kids ordered tacos de Pescado. The waiter came back a few minutes later and said they had no Pescado, or shrimp, or any kind of meat for that matter. We all just laughed and had quesadillas all around. this happens a lot in Baja this time of year, but we are used to it and very easy going so no big deal. They had plenty of ice to keep the drinks cold so we were good.

Left on Wed to come home, check points going north were a breeze easier then they have been in a long time, never made the kids get out of the car and the only checkpoint that really looked into the car was the one when we got on to blvd 2000.

Spent the night at Jardines which is our usual stop and we absolutley love the place and the restaraunt. We got there it was still light so we walked the kids and the dogs over to the camp ground next door and the spent about 30 minutes blowing off some energy on the playground.

The food was great as usual I had the Jaiba, my son had the milinesa nortenia which is his absolutle favorite, the bacon wrapped shrimp was ordered by many and lobster was had as well all in all a great way to spend the last night in Baja.

When we left Jardines in the morning my battery had decided to die. It was only 2 years old and when I got back to the states and returned it to Kragen/O'Riely they gave me a new one no questions asked, great customer service. When this happened Guillermo was outside and noticed and he came right over and said he would be right back with his battery box that his son gave him. Before I could even think about getting my jumpper cables out and jumpping the car he was back and we were hooked up and got the car started.

I did notice a lot of surfers heading south while we were heading north so I am thinking there must have been a swell coming.

We crossed the border at Otay using blvd 2000 to get there. We hit the border at 12:07 and were closer then I have ever been so I was thinking an hour or less, well at 2:06 we crossed a minute short of 2 hours. There were 4 lanes open, I think 6 ready lanes, and one Sentri lane. We need to get the passport cards with as much as we cross so we can use the ready lanes, that wait was probably 20 minutes.

All in all a great trip with great friends. I will try and upload some pictures tonight.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2012 at 05:43 PM

sounds like such a nice trip except for the stingray - ouch .....and thank goodness it was not one of the kids !

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
mooose29
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2012 at 05:49 PM

Yes we all said the same thing better one of the adults then the kids. My then 13 year old daughter got hit 2 years ago and it stunk.
Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2012 at 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mooose29
Just a quick recap of our trip last week to give everyone some updated info.

Bummer was the outboard on the zodiac would not run past idle. It idled fine but once you would give it gas it would just flood. In looking at it while it idled gas was leaking out of the carburator from it seemed like everywhere. I am thinking a seal has gone bad, or some bad gas has gunked it up and causing the gas to flow out. I did not take it apart, maybe I will find someone down there to work on it or do it in Nov when we are down.

Is the outboard running on Mexican or American gas?

If using gas with ethanol (don't know year of motor) and it has been sitting that stuff eats seals, fiberglass gas tanks,...
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2012 at 07:02 PM

motors need Stabilizer fuel additives when you leave them for any time
mooose29
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2012 at 07:07 PM

Everything we have gets stabilizer in it when we leave
Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2012 at 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mooose29
Everything we have gets stabilizer in it when we leave

Stabilizers do not fix all the bad things about ethanol additives and should not be counted on particularly with some gaskets, rubber hoses,...Stabilizers also do not correct "stale" fuel.

I posted awhile back about a fiberglass fuel tank that I opened that looked like swiss cheese after having ethanol additive fuel in it along with a "stabilizer".

So, my question was were you using an ethanol fuel??? If so that information will eliminate some diagnostics regarding repairs.
mooose29
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2012 at 11:14 PM

We only use Mexican gas, in our boats and bikes. Does Mexican gas have any ethanol in it?
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2012 at 11:31 PM

Neat trip and great attitude, guys.

You're making memories and planting seeds of adventure for those great kids of yours. Thanks.

About the stingray: gettin' whacked is no joy, that's for sure. You're right on the money with the hot water, but the affected area doesn't have to be immersed in the water. You can make hot packs with a couple of dishcloths or even a cotton t-shirt or two, have one soaking and ready to change out when the one covering the injury cools down. Keep at it 'till the pain goes away.

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
mooose29
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2012 at 03:14 PM

Great idea with the hot packs

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.