BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Trip north Sept 4-5 (washed out in GN etc)
BajaAnthro
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2012 at 08:06 AM
Trip north Sept 4-5 (washed out in GN etc)

I just made the drive up from the cape yesterday. A couple of highlights:

1. I hit the edge of a pretty big rain storm up near Santa Rosalia. The roads were fine but some of the arroyos inland were starting to fill up. The lucky part was that the highway pretty much skirted the worst part of the rain.

2. In San Ignacio the road was flooded out but not too bad. Some of the local kids were there helping to guild people around the rocks. That was worth a 10 peso tip.

3. The worst part of the trip was north of Guerrero Negro where there's road construction. I got up early, headed north, only to be stopped by a long line of cars, vans, big rigs, etc. I walked down to check it out: the arroyo was completely flowing and blocked. There was one semi that was totally stuck in the mud--some folks said it got stuck the night before. After a few people checked the bottom, some folks from the other side made the crossing. A few people got stuck in the mud and silt, but the 4x4s pretty much made it no problem. Finally a Toyota tried from the south side, and made it up the bank easily. So me and another guy said "let's go for it" and we crossed as well. I wonder how long people had to wait for the road to get cleared. With all of the mud etc there's no way that the big rigs and regular cars were going to get across for a while. Anyone passed through here since yesterday morning???

4. The rest of the trip was fine, with the usual amount of crazy drivers making insane passes, but otherwise no problems.

5. I took the Tecate route for the first time, and it was a mellow, welcome change from the madness of Tijuana. It added a little extra time, but I think it was worth it. You end up in the US on the 94, about 40 miles from San Diego. Not bad!

[Edited on 9-6-2012 by BajaAnthro]
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2012 at 08:09 AM

Good report. Thanks

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-6-2012 at 08:29 AM

Good report... Just curious, where was the big stuck arroyo?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaAnthro
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2012 at 08:47 AM

Hey David,

It was about 30 min or so north of Guerrero Negro, where they are still working on the road.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2012 at 09:10 AM

Thanks... in late July, the roadwork was all done... maybe they began a new section?

30 min = ~30 miles or a bit more on that straight road... I wonder if it was:

Near the town/ gas station of Villa Jesus Maria?

Near the military checkpoint at the El Tomatal road?

Near Nuevo Rosarito town?

Or?

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2012 at 09:19 AM

Just a reminder:

Check your driveline and bearings, ALL of the bearings, after driving through water.

I had about the same scenario during the February storms that took out the four bridges in northern Baja four or five years ago.

Came up from the Cape area. Hit some rain near San Ignacio. Then several running arroyos around Guerrero Negro. Then the road blocked at the big arroyos 30-40 miles north of Guerrero Negro.

I checked the differential cases and the front wheel bearings of the F350 and found no evidence of water. Whew!

Then, I promptly forgot about the smaller wheels/bearings on the utility trailer that also went through the arroyos behind the high riding F350. Oops!

Sure enough. Next trip down, ( about 1,500 miles and six months later), lost a wheel bearing right outside Guerrero Negro. What is it about that place??

Found the grease inside the trailer hub "churned", contaminated with water, and rust on the spindle. The good news. We were on the road again in about two hours as I had spare parts and hadn't damaged the hub or the spindle.
BajaAnthro
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2012 at 09:26 AM

Hey David,

I should have taken a GPS point!

I am pretty sure it was just past the checkpoint at Tomatal. If you look on google maps there is a little s-curve in the hills just north of that checkpoint and you can see where a drainage/arroyo goes right across the road. That looks like the place to me.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2012 at 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaAnthro
Hey David,

I should have taken a GPS point!

I am pretty sure it was just past the checkpoint at Tomatal. If you look on google maps there is a little s-curve in the hills just north of that checkpoint and you can see where a drainage/arroyo goes right across the road. That looks like the place to me.

Thanks! That little gorge does funnel the mountain runoff and there should be a bridge built across it! In the Baja Almanac, it is Arroyo San Javier.

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2012 at 04:24 PM
Gawd!

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Thanks... in late July, the roadwork was all done... maybe they began a new section?

30 min = ~30 miles or a bit more on that straight road... I wonder if it was:

Near the town/ gas station of Villa Jesus Maria?

Near the military checkpoint at the El Tomatal road?

Near Nuevo Rosarito town?

Or?

Can't believe that there is still construction happening in that area. Fundamentally, it has been going on for like two years. But, it is really just about repaving. They're not taking down hills, or re-routing.

Just seems to me to be the poster boy for those who denigrate Mexico.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.