Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Yes, again. Shocks
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-9-2012 at 11:26 PM
Yes, again. Shocks

On my 2005 Tacoma I upgraded the TRD stock yellow Bilsteins to the (silver & blue) 5100s and thought they were great.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 9-10-2012 at 04:23 AM

me too.

[Edited on 9-10-2012 by woody with a view]

dizzyspots
Senior Nomad

Mood: rather be on the beach at Gonzaga

[*] posted on 9-10-2012 at 06:00 AM

go to www.rockauto.com and search for struts/shocks

get a good brand name shock, but for your part-time Baja use..

IMHO stay away from the "ooh-ahhh" shocks that you see in the off road and hot rod books MOST will do nothing different than a good brand name aftermarket shock except LIGHTEN your wallet...
I have had TRD/Bilsteins on my FJ Cruiser and now on my Tundra and made 6 trips to Baj on the FJ (including x 2 on "that road")..the factory Bilsteins worked great...the one set of "ooh-ahh" shocks blew out after the first "old road" hill
(NOW imagine completing that trip from just south of Puertecitos to Gonzaga and back and then home from Yuma to Tucson with essentially NO front shocks yee haaa!
willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2012 at 07:03 AM

Ditto on the 5100`s, super shocks. I had Rancho adjustables before and they were useless on Baja roads.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 9-10-2012 at 08:57 AM

www.AJUSA.com is local to manila mesa, i mean mira mesa and will ship free if you can't pick them up. they also run in the baja 1000. ask for Chas.

dizzyspots
Senior Nomad

Mood: rather be on the beach at Gonzaga

[*] posted on 9-10-2012 at 05:39 PM

They weren"t Bilsteins......trying to forget..the top "washer" blew out...looked like they sourced it out of an old beer can ?Skyjacker??? just dont recall I say ooh-ahhh...because when we went to Ouray and climbed all those 12-13000 foot Rocky Mtn passes..we came back down to the hotel...vendors galore selling all manner of suspension goodies (my 07 FJ was bone stock except for the TRD Bilsteins)...the sales guy was trying to sell me $4k worth of suspension goodies until I asked him if he was the FJ that was behind me as we crested the 13,800 ft summit? and I need the $4000 suspension ...why exactly??...didnt I just take all the same trails that you did? :)
Baja Bucko
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2012 at 08:27 PM
2003 4WD Ranger.....

I suspect it is abt time I get new shocks on my Ranger.....I don't notice anything wrong but was told thru the years that shocks"die"...I only use my truck driving the 1000 miles to the border on highway then another 1200 or so in Baja-plenty of dirt roads etc but driven CAREFULLY. I do this 2-3 times a year-the rest of the time it sits except for a few days of ice and snow driving.

Is Bilstein a good sound brand? Hay, I know about mules, not trucks......

The truck now has 76,000 miles on it-65,000 are go to, in Baja, and back home north to work to make more money to go back to Baja. (It had 11,000 on it when I bought it) Man, I love my truck!!! :bounce:

My other 4WD is a Baja Mule!

La Mula Mil Survivor 2013-2014!
1000 miles by mule from the tip to Tecate!
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-10-2012 at 08:35 PM

Yes Teddi. The 5100 is one level up from factory Off Road equipped shocks. Reasonable price.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

landyacht318
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2012 at 09:15 PM

I like my KYB gas a justs a lot.

In '03 I had a shop install some on the front of my full size Van.

In '08 one of the shocks lower tabs sheared off. I found out later that the shock was the incorrect one. Too long, and the shock was bottoming out before the suspension would hit the bump stops.

Never lost any dampening despite hundreds of miles of Baja washboard and plenty of bottoming out.

Shocks were replaced for free by the shop and they later said KYB re imbursed them, even though it was a parts store mix up.
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2012 at 01:57 PM

The KYB Monomax shocks work great for me.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 9-11-2012 at 07:01 PM

Ditto's on RockAuto and the KYB .. .

landyacht318
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2012 at 09:00 PM

Amazon lists the KYB Gas a Justs for my Van for 2 cents cheaper for the fronts and 3+$ cheaper for the rears than Rock Auto, and they have free shipping.

I like R/A for acquiring the part numbers, and I do not trust Amazon's 'Make sure it fits' database when it says certain parts will not fit.
MikeYounghusband
Nomad

Mood: Always ready for more

[*] posted on 9-12-2012 at 01:13 PM

Aren't Bilstiens guarnteed for life?
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2012 at 01:36 PM

I blew out a KYB on my F250 while in Baja. Was replaced under warantee when I returned home.

I appreciated the warantee, but given my use it shouldn't have failed!

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2012 at 03:01 PM

Most shocks do have something like a lifetime warranty. Bilstein warranties the shock against defects for as long as you own the vehicle. I think race shocks are another matter, Whistler would know more about them. The thing is I doubt most people replace shocks under a warranty unless it only lasted a short time. Frankly I have never replaced a shock under warranty. Now my oldest brother would, he's just that way. I have never replaced a shock on my wifes car or cars. They never see the dirt and never wear out or at least not yet and her Acura is now 14 years old but only 85,000 miles.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.