Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Rip To Cabo - Days 1-4
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 10-15-2012 at 03:02 PM
Rip To Cabo - Days 1-4

Last week I headed south with Cameron Steele and the Desert Assassins crew for the first ever "Rip To Cabo" motorcycle ride from Ensenada to Cabo San Lucas. The eight day ride would take them on a 1500 mile journey down Baja, along stretches of the Pacific coastline, then through the desert and out to the Sea of Cortez. Days 1-4 were along the Pacific coast and included overnight stops in Eréndira, El Rosario and Punta San Carlos. They had multiple camera guys and a helicopter to capture all of the action, which is going to be used to create a one hour special on CBS Sports. I brought down some cameras as well...and should have a video edited together in the next few weeks.

Day 1: The crew crossed the border in Tijuana at 10:30 and everyone stopped to get their tourist cards. We stopped at Las Brisas in Ensenada for tacos, then headed south to Uruapan where the riders geared up and got on their motorcycles. I drove the north road from Santo Tomas to Eréndira and it was in pretty good shape the whole way. The riders caught up with us just north of Punta Cabras and had fun popping wheelies down the beach and riding in the sand dunes. We had an impressive steak dinner at Coyote Cal's followed by beers around the fire.

Tacos at Las Brisas

Sidekicker chowing down

Unloading bikes near Uruapan

The trusty steed of 11 Time

Refueling after the first day of riding

Sunset at Coyote Cal's in Eréndira

Day 2: The riders were up early and took off down the coast, and I headed out to the highway to make my way south. Just before Colonet, I headed west out to the sand dunes at San Antonio del Mar to catch the riders as they passed. The 4Runner hit the 100,000 mile mark on the dirt road out to the coast, which seemed fitting, as it hit 50,000 miles many years before on a trip to Erendira. The riders spent some time jumping the dunes and then headed south to the lunch stop at the Pirate Cove in Camalú. After lunch, I headed south again on the highway to a stretch of beach south of San Quintin to meet up with the riders and get some more video. After that, I headed south on the highway to Baja Cactus in El Rosario where were would be stopping for the night. Shortly after I arrived, the helicopter landed in the parking lot of Baja Cactus, which was pretty impressive considering how small that space is. That night the crew cooked up tri-tip on the grill and everyone enjoyed the feast.

I slept next to the helicopter

The 4Runner hits 100,000 miles near Colonet

The turnoff to Punta San Jacinto

Day 3: The crew was up early to grab breakfast down the street at Mama Espinosa's. Today would be a fairly short day of riding from El Rosario to Punta San Carlos. Because of the terrain and limited access along the coast, I had to take the main road in to Punta San Carlos and did not get to follow the riders. I was pretty exited about this day though, since I had never been to Punta San Carlos. When I arrived, windsurfers and kite surfers were ripping in the surf out on the main point, and the waves looked pretty fun. We met Kevin from Solo Sports who runs the camp there and he gave us a tour of their facility. It is a very cool setup and it is truly a mecca for windsurfing and kitesurfing enthusiasts who come from all over the world to take advantage of the windy coastline. Knowing that the motorcycles would still be a few hours out, I decided to go for a surf. Kevin had told me the water was warm, but I was shocked at how nice it actually was. I surfed for two hours in trunks at a spot they call the "Chili Bowl" that is south of the main point. The tide was a little too high, but there were some fun head-high waves, and I had it all to myself. The riders arrived at around 1 PM and quickly took advantage of the sunshine and opportunity to relax for the rest of the afternoon enjoying the house drink known as a "Baja Fog". That night the crew was treated to a great tamale buffet dinner at Solo Sports and some good conversation with the other guests staying there. Most of the crew headed to bed early as the ride the following day was a long one: Punta San Carlos to Bahia de Los Angeles.

Tim Morton's jersey at Mama Espinosa's

Helicopter parking is allowed at Baja Cactus

The turnoff for Punta San Carlos

Kevin (center) and a guest at the Solo Sports bar

Day 4: I was up at 6:30 and the riders were making their final preparations for a long day on their bikes. Unfortunately, I was going to be heading back home to San Diego today. All of the support vehicles made their way back out to the highway and headed south and I headed back up the highway towards El Rosario. I made good time and stopped for a surf south of Rosarito around 4 PM. The waves were really good and no crowds! The SENTRI lane had about a 20 minute wait, and I was home on my couch watching football by 6:30. It was a great trip!

Cameron and Sunny mugging for the camera

Cameron, Kevin from Solo Sports and Sunny

Lobster stoked on getting day 4 started

About to depart Punta San Carlos

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2012 at 03:35 PM

trip of a lifetime! everyone stop and pay homage to the man?

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 10-15-2012 at 03:43 PM

Haven't these guys done a "Rip to the Tip" event before??? A rather well-supported play ride....

There goes the neighborhood :biggrin:

Just in time to beat the pre-runners.:light:

Don't believe everything you think....
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2012 at 03:48 PM

Yeah....Rip To The Tip was the series that aired on Fuel TV. This will air on CBS Sports, so therefore a new name for the 2012 ride. That helicopter footage sure does look good!

We didn't go by the OX memorial on this trip....maybe next year!

bajadock
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2012 at 04:16 PM

Geoff, thanks for a Nomad trip report. It is becoming a rare species. You are also providing a tease for my upcoming 2012 Baja adventure. CHEERS!

Tri tip? GEEZO, I'm hungry.

[Edited on 10-16-2012 by bajadock]

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-15-2012 at 05:57 PM

Did they go up to the mesa southbound from Solosports, as that is otherwise on a dead end road?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Curt63
Super Nomad

Mood: Fish tacos and Tecate

[*] posted on 10-15-2012 at 07:47 PM

Great report. Ive really enjoyed watching all the Rip to tips.

No worries
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2012 at 09:25 AM

Thanks guys!

DK...I think they went inland, as their next stopping point was Bay of LA. I was talking to Kevin from Solo Sports about the route south and he said it is nearly impassable. Apparently there is a foot trail, but I think it is too steep even for dirt bikes. He said the only possible option is to plan ahead for an extreme low tide and ride down the beach.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2012 at 09:58 AM

Great stuff, thanks.
Curt63
Super Nomad

Mood: Fish tacos and Tecate

[*] posted on 10-16-2012 at 11:20 AM

Is Johnny Campbell and JCR still involved?

No worries
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2012 at 11:26 AM

Johnny was down for the first couple days, but had to leave early for a rally race in Morocco.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-16-2012 at 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGeoff
Johnny was down for the first couple days, but had to leave early for a rally race in Morocco.

Rough life! Go Johnny Go...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2012 at 05:11 PM

johnny headed to morocco with his four other 2013 dakar teammates to shake down this this CRF450 RALLY BIKE. take a look!:o

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2012 at 08:04 AM

Thanks. A fun read and epic trip.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.