BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Trailer Axle Repair Info?
RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2013 at 09:27 AM
Trailer Axle Repair Info?

Okay, I have the opportunity to buy a 6x10 single axle cargo trailer in very good condition.

The trailer has a 3,500 lb torsion bar axle. Not leaf springs.

I have broken and replaced a leaf spring or two on Baja trailers over the years and usually carry spare springs/parts.

Question?? What do you do about the torsion bar axle if something goes wrong?

Is the suspension bar part field replaceable, do you carry an entire spare axle, (ugh), or do the torsion bar axles not fail as easily as the leaf springs? (Or just not buy this trailer.....)

Oh, and the outer axle tube is welded to the trailer frame.

Thx
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 2-1-2013 at 09:38 AM

Do you plan on taking this trailer off-pavement a lot? If so, anything that "bends" like torsion-bars would build up heat on washboard, it seems to me, and break. But I have no experience with "torsion bars" so not a good source of advice. I have broken several leaf-springs on Baja dirt roads, and have given up on trailers off-road, including boat trailers, but that is just my personal experience.

On pavement, I am thinking that "torsion bars" would be just fine.

Barry
onemoreplease

[*] posted on 2-1-2013 at 09:40 AM

we have never had one fail...yet. I have the same setup, but towing 3 catarafts, and a half ton in beer weekly. on washboard roads.
I also, would like to know what to do if it fails...
RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2013 at 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.

Barry

I'm planning on using it on Mex 1 the vast majority of the time.

However, both times that I had a leaf spring break, it was on Mex 1. One trailer had NEVER been off road other than to pull off the pavement to park!
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2013 at 02:17 PM

Carry some chain and bolts. Depending on the design you can usually pull, jack or pry it to chain it to get you to a welder for repairs.
liknbaja127
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2013 at 08:19 PM

We have a axel, with hubs, bolted to the bottom of trailer, spare springs
and bolts. parts are hard to find, when you need them!!
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 2-1-2013 at 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Carry some chain and bolts. Depending on the design you can usually pull, jack or pry it to chain it to get you to a welder for repairs.

Seems like I remember doing something like this once....

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
Retireded
Nomad

Mood: Wishin' I was Fishin', Oh, I am!

[*] posted on 2-1-2013 at 10:07 PM

I've never dealt with torsion bars on a trailer, but on my old chrysler wagon the torsion bar front suspension was about bulletproof. I drove it down many a washboard over many years with never a failure. I did smooth out the washboard in those years by driving fast enough that we hardly felt it. Cone to think of it, we usually were hauling some beer too.
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 2-1-2013 at 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Do you plan on taking this trailer off-pavement a lot? If so, anything that "bends" like torsion-bars would build up heat on washboard, it seems to me, and break. But I have no experience with "torsion bars" so not a good source of advice. I have broken several leaf-springs on Baja dirt roads, and have given up on trailers off-road, including boat trailers, but that is just my personal experience.

Barry

I have a 95 Suburban 4x4 with torsion bars on front and it has over 200 thousand miles on it a lot of them pulling a loaded toy hauler all over Baja.I never have given a thought that the torsion bars would Break.:?::?::?::?:
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 2-2-2013 at 07:05 AM

if it's a "homemade" unit i'd pass but if it's a commercial made unit it'll have a sticker on it rating the trailer

remember even if you think its rated to 3500# your weakest link are the tires

small rims and you cant get tires for heavier weights

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.