Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Jeep Buildup Week for the //BAJA GRANDE JEEP
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

thumbup.gif posted on 3-9-2013 at 09:03 AM
Jeep Buildup Week for the //BAJA GRANDE JEEP

After buying enough Jeep parts to make the trip weigh out in my favor, I booked a trip to Tijuana and carried everything to this 'suburb' south of San Ysidro, just across the International border.

Tijuana

My first stop was at the home of my longtime 4x4 Tijuana connection, friend and Nomad - CG.

CG is in the business of rescuing and reviving abandoned Tijuana stray animals, and he showed me his latest pet rescue who is being rehabilitated. This little guy is humble, sincere, and simply in need of love.

After some salutations, we decided it was in order to walk the streets of Tijuana in search of some fresh foods and vegetables. The Tijuana Thursday street market in Soler is the place to get the pick of the local vegetable crops and catch of the day.

Lunch/or Breakfast was INCREDIBLE! These were the best Chicken Tacos I have ever feasted on!!

Old friends were also feasting on the good foods. HELLO!

We walked some more, and I saw this poster for a local music showcase in town. This really takes me back to my youth in the early eighties.

After lunch, it was time to get down to business. Our driving began with a stop at Perry McNeil's race shop where I spotted some one-of-a-kind Tijuana classics!:bounce:

This new Raptor-themed fiberglass kit for Ford Rangers really caught my eye.

[Edited on 3-9-2013 by Ken Cooke]

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2013 at 09:15 AM

Back at the Casa, we watched some novelas while Jeep #1 was having its water pump changed.

Now, onto the good stuff! Luis began work on my Jeep, digging into the engine bay before moving onto suspension work. Good man!:bounce:

New Motor mounts were installed.:bounce:

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 3-9-2013 at 09:18 AM

That first TJ classic car is a 1934 Ford coupe and it looks like someone has put a late model V8 in it.

Bob Durrell
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2013 at 09:21 AM

While my Jeep was being given the 17 hr. buildup treatment, we stopped by Renes to see how Tom's Jeep was progressing before installation of his 39" IROK tires later in the day.

Lots and lots of reinforcements along the axle housing.

"Baja Ready" rear coilovers:bounce:

Tom got the call, so CG and Tom headed off to Chula Vista to 4 Wheel Parts and had these beauties installed!:bounce:

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2013 at 09:27 AM

Luis was still hard at work, so we went out for dinner and entertainment.:yes:

The best Italian on Calle Revoluccion. Best give this place a call for a good meal in Tijuana. The line was out the door on the Friday night that we visited.

Dinner was incredible!

After dinner, we had to walk off our dinner.:tumble:

Live entertainment is what Tijuana is known for.:!:

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2013 at 09:31 AM

We saw a highly-recommended entertainment revue featuring some of Tijuana's most talented female impersonators who sang and danced across the stage like the stars they impersonated.

Paulina Rubio

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2013 at 09:38 AM

The //Baja Grande Jeep is now built up and ready for fun! Tom K. gave the Jeep a look over, and is happy to see it 'wheeling with him out on the trail with plenty of clearance and more capability.

The Jeep received its Baja Alignment and I was off for the borderline.

To be continued...

J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 3-9-2013 at 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
That first TJ classic car is a 1934 Ford coupe and it looks like someone has put a late model V8 in it.

Thats a nice on for shure.After looking at the picture closely the back side windows look larger than a coupe, I think it may be a Victoria. if it is it would worth Mucho Bucks. I had a 31Victoria.
J.P.
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2013 at 10:27 AM
Jeep

Ken I wasnt trying to Hijack your thread .Your Jeep is beginning to look more like a full time Rock Crawler, Nice picture report.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2013 at 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by J.P.
Ken I wasnt trying to Hijack your thread .Your Jeep is beginning to look more like a full time Rock Crawler, Nice picture report.

About 3 months after buying my Jeep in 2003, I reconfigured it to do this (in Baja).

To this (at 2013 Tierra del Sol)

Slowly, it's coming along...

J.P.
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2013 at 12:32 PM

That looks like fun. we purchased a really clean 91 4.0 a while back.since we have had it we had it compleately repainted and replaced the interior. We live in the Ensenada area and would like to do some trail riding but nothing as radical as some of the stuff you do. our interest lay in primarily beach crusing. If I were really seirous about the rough stuff I have a 95 suburban4x4 with 4:10 gears and Blistens all the way around that would do better than my Jeep.:lol::lol:
CG
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2013 at 06:51 PM

Hey Ken!

Always a pleasure to host you guys!

Thanks for posting pics of our latest rescue dog...We are actively looking for a good home for him. He needed surgery on his eye and we just got him back from that and he's getting healthier everyday!

One quick correction...Animal rescue isn't a business for me, if it was, I'd be the worlds worst businessman as I have spent $1,000's of my own money on fixing these little guys up and finding a home for 'em. It's more a labor of love for me, I'm just a guy trying to make a difference. The only help I solicit is hoping someone can open their hearts and home to a happy animal!

The main issue these days, is I have too many dogs and cats here and no real room to house the sick ones with the healthy ones. My wife was kind enough to let me make a little space out of her front garden to keep this one while he's getting better...

Anyway back to the topic! Your Jeep is looking good! Almost a sexy as mine! I'm glad all the mods are working out for you...

Happy Wheeling!

Chris

[Edited on 3-10-2013 by CG]

[Edited on 3-10-2013 by CG]

When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle. Edmund Burke
Curt63
Super Nomad

Mood: Fish tacos and Tecate

[*] posted on 3-9-2013 at 07:15 PM

Lookin good Ken. Tom's rig is legit. I was at TDS too. Good Times

No worries
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2013 at 09:32 AM
Our Baja Jeeps made it to Tierra del Sol!

Tom and Angelica

The lineup

Los Tres Baja Locos

La Colombiana!

Rollovers!

Tom's Jeep looked like a million pesos!

...next up. Baja Pole Line Road '13:!:

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 3-10-2013 at 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by J.P.
Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert

I had a'34 full fendered roadster and the body was just as good as that in the picture. Also had lots of other Ts, As and B models at different times: 23 Highboy, 27 sedan, 28 coupe, 29 roadster, 30 coupe, 31 victoria, 32 coupe, the 34 roadster.

Thats a nice on for shure.After looking at the picture closely the back side windows look larger than a coupe, I think it may be a Victoria. if it is it would worth Mucho Bucks. I had a 31Victoria.

Bob Durrell

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.