Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: A Journey To The Whale Taxi
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2013 at 11:58 AM

Looking at all the fabulous photos gives me a chill. It also reminds me that, like many other things, the experience of being in the immediate presence of the whales is one that is only really conveyed by actually being there. I have shown nearly everyone I know photos of whale trips we have taken to both Scammons and San Ignacio over the years and they all ooh and ahh but unless you have actually done it you don't really know the felling IMHO. It was the same way when I came home from my first trip to the Grand Canyon decades ago and developed the 400+ photos I took and tried to convey the grandeur and beauty to others but felt that although the photos come close its still not the same. I framed two photos and the others ended up in an album never to be seen again. Like trying to explain the lure of riding across the face of a moving wall of water on a plank of foam covered in fiberglass, dude. :cool:

I hope everyone who ever thought about heading to see the whales gets a chance to do it.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2013 at 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by elgatoloco
Looking at all the fabulous photos gives me a chill. It also reminds me that, like many other things, the experience of being in the immediate presence of the whales is one that is only really conveyed by actually being there. I have shown nearly everyone I know photos of whale trips we have taken to both Scammons and San Ignacio over the years and they all ooh and ahh but unless you have actually done it you don't really know the felling IMHO. It was the same way when I came home from my first trip to the Grand Canyon decades ago and developed the 400+ photos I took and tried to convey the grandeur and beauty to others but felt that although the photos come close its still not the same. I framed two photos and the others ended up in an album never to be seen again. Like trying to explain the lure of riding across the face of a moving wall of water on a plank of foam covered in fiberglass, dude. :cool:

I hope everyone who ever thought about heading to see the whales gets a chance to do it.

Or like sitting around a campfire in the desert with an amigo, drinking good beer, and watching falling stars burn up as they enter the atmosphere:tumble:

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2013 at 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by elgatoloco

Dude, you are sooooo right. Thanks for pointing out the most important thing to take away from these whale pictures -- GO SEE THEM -- don't just read and view pictures of them!!! Go now, you will not be here forever!!!

One must experience these creatures to truly understand the stoke. Thanks for pointing that out. We need more direct interactions in life. By doing so we gain perspective and a better understanding of what it is to be alive, and our place in the universe.

Hate "those" people? Get to know "those" people and watch that hate deteriorate.

There are studies being conducted about Facebook that show the more social we become with friends and strangers, even over the internet, leads to less conflict. Those people on the other side of the earth are now on our computer screens, and we see them as people, like us, with kids and wives and dreams.

As Twain put it, “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

So whales fit in to this.........get to see them, touch them, and have a better understanding of them, and you probably won't go whaling anytime soon.

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2013 at 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy

Or like sitting around a campfire in the desert with an amigo, drinking good beer, and watching falling stars burn up as they enter the atmosphere:tumble:

That was a close to a meteorite as I have ever witnessed. I was waiting for the shock wave to knock us off our feet, the stumble back to the camper did not count. I am glad you were there to validate it for me. :cool: Good times!

MAGA

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2013 at 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo

Dude, you are sooooo right. Thanks for pointing out the most important thing to take away from these whale pictures -- GO SEE THEM -- don't just read and view pictures of them!!! Go now, you will not be here forever!!!

One must experience these creatures to truly understand the stoke. Thanks for pointing that out. We need more direct interactions in life. By doing so we gain perspective and a better understanding of what it is to be alive, and our place in the universe.

Hate "those" people? Get to know "those" people and watch that hate deteriorate.

There are studies being conducted about Facebook that show the more social we become with friends and strangers, even over the internet, leads to less conflict. Those people on the other side of the earth are now on our computer screens, and we see them as people, like us, with kids and wives and dreams.

As Twain put it, “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

So whales fit in to this.........get to see them, touch them, and have a better understanding of them, and you probably won't go whaling anytime soon.

I second that emotion. We love to travel and experience new and different things, even if it's the next county. We are headed south in the AM to do the whale thing again for the first time. :biggrin:

MAGA

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 3-12-2013 at 08:53 AM

why dont you stop in at Ojo de Liebre to join us for the last whale hurrah there on march 17-19!!! Probably camp the last couple nights at the lagoon...woo hooo

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
BajaLucy
Junior Nomad

Mood: {BajaTime}

[*] posted on 3-12-2013 at 12:53 PM

It's nice to read-hear a true man's emotion or thoughs about life and surrounding Universe
:yes:

In a world where You can Be Anything Be Yourself
KASHEYDOG
Senior Nomad

Mood: SO MANY TACOS, SO LITTLE TIME... Gotta Go, See ya there....:bounce:

[*] posted on 3-13-2013 at 08:52 AM
CO-PILOT FOR WHALE TRIP NEEDED - WANNA GO??

Hey Aeto !! Thanks for posting such a wonderful experience...:yes:.. Great presentation too, BTW.

You've inspired me to go down this weekend for Shari's last tours of the season. If there's anybody in the Rosarito Beach area that would like to ride down with me I would love the company. I'm going by myself so far. I'm planning to leave on Friday and stay in San Quintin that night. I've made reservations with Shari for Saturday, Sunday, Monday and returning Tuesday. If there's someone who wants to go you can call me @ 619 488 3800 or u2u me or e-mail @ kasheydog@aol.com.

Don\'t mess with the old dog...... Age and skill will always overcome youth and treachery! Brilliance only comes with age and experience..... :smug: .... :P .... :smug:
Are you getting the most out of life OR is life getting the most out of you ?? :?:

Twenty years from now you\'ll be more disappointed by the things you didn\'t do then the things you did.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2013 at 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by KASHEYDOG
Hey Aeto !! Thanks for posting such a wonderful experience...:yes:.. Great presentation too, BTW.

You've inspired me to go down this weekend for Shari's last tours of the season. If there's anybody in the Rosarito Beach area that would like to ride down with me I would love the company. I'm going by myself so far. I'm planning to leave on Friday and stay in San Quintin that night. I've made reservations with Shari for Saturday, Sunday, Monday and returning Tuesday. If there's someone who wants to go you can call me @ 619 488 3800 or u2u me or e-mail @ kasheydog@aol.com.

This makes me very happy to hear that my post inspired you to head south for the whales. With the photobucket fiasco it took me about three hours to make that post. I was questioning why the hell I would spend so much time posting for mostly strangers. :)

Thanks for making it worthwhile! Stoked to hear you're heading south.

shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2013 at 03:36 PM

Ateo & Lucy....I neglected to thank you for the wonderful birthday surprise bag...we had so much fun opening each item and were completely thrilled with the contents...it really made my birthday even more special as we had lots of folks to share the booty. Here is Iflyfish & his twin and Izaak and I sampling the wares...the blueberry bombs were insanely delicious...as was everything...mil gracias amigos! You can come to my birthday any year...hahaha

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-13-2013 at 03:54 PM

Just so wonderful! Shari, I posted you video over on Tacoma World in their Travel forum... It is really great, as are the photos above... Jon, thank you for sizing the photos for all of us on normal size monitors to enjoy!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2013 at 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
Ateo & Lucy....I neglected to thank you for the wonderful birthday surprise bag...we had so much fun opening each item and were completely thrilled with the contents...it really made my birthday even more special as we had lots of folks to share the booty. Here is Iflyfish & his twin and Izaak and I sampling the wares...the blueberry bombs were insanely delicious...as was everything...mil gracias amigos! You can come to my birthday any year...hahaha

Glad you liked it!!!! Lucy did the shopping!!! Maybe next year we will come down and stay for the birthday bash. I have to admit Udo gave me some ideas for your gifts. I didn't get them all - have to save ideas for next time.

shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2013 at 07:29 PM

Aha...I should have known Udo may have been behind that treasure bag...he certainly does know what we like...gracias

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.