Author: Subject: Tecate Atrocity
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2013 at 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by David K
If you got to the road along the fence you were more like 1hr or less. It is when the line begins on Hwy.2 is when you are 2-5 hours. Ask me how I know lol. Glad you are across and home.

Edit: Is that a new section?

It is the fence road in the foto. In reverse from the gate, it just goes straight back......not turning out to HWY-2.

Your right Dennis. this looks like traffick was rerouted so it was coming in before the normal route coming up the hill from hwy2/the circle.
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 4-28-2013 at 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo
This was my view:

Once you are over the hill a9as shown in your picture) it is only about 30 more minutes to the border crossing gates.

Bob Durrell
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2013 at 07:37 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by BornFisher
I hope you went to the "Border Wait" app. and reported your time for Otay. If not, another atrocity was committed!!!

Funny you mention that. In a frantic frenzy to obtain intel, I turned my phone off and on repeatedly in hopes of picking up my AT&T USA carrier so I wouldn't be charged an outrageous rate to access the border wait app.

I ended up turning my data roaming on for a split second to check the wait times at Otay. I briefly checked Tecate to see what is said. 5 minutes!!! Something was wrong.

Anyway, I did iReport Otay once I crossed, after checking Facebook though. =)

[Edited on 4-29-2013 by Ateo]

Good man Ateo! Anyone who reports helps us all.
Now if you cross at Tecate, you can pick up the ATT signal only after you cross. Go to the 94, turn west and pull over where a camper van is parked in a paved private drive ( about 1/2 mile). You can see the cell tower on the mountain there and get ATT. A few weeks ago there was road construction in this section and I couldn`t stop. I went to Honey Springs Rd which is just after the border check, and tried to do a report. Too far away the app. said, so you need to be VERY close to the border to report. And I totally understand that.
And BTW that time someone goofed and reported a 4 hour wait. It was really close to 4 minutes, point being people make mistakes. App is still awesome though.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2013 at 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
Your right Dennis. this looks like traffick was rerouted so it was coming in before the normal route coming up the hill from hwy2/the circle.

Not exactly, Ralph. You come off #2 at the same place as always, drive the three hundred yards to the corner, then turn right and you drive up to the end of the line, make a U-Turn and join the line.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2013 at 09:07 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Not exactly, Ralph. You come off #2 at the same place as always, drive the three hundred yards to the corner, then turn right and you drive up to the end of the line, make a U-Turn and join the line.

Never had to do that...what do they do with you if you have a trailer?
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2013 at 09:13 PM

Quote:
Quote:

WHAT DENNIS SAID. We had to hang that right after doing the 300 hundred yards to the entry left turn, then go another 150 cars or maybe 6 city blocks. Did the U-turn even though their was a cop (at this point I was ready for a confrontation), then sat in line.

I never knew the border line went back that far. I have been way closer and had a 2.5 hour wait, so I bailed, and boy did I make the right decision.

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2013 at 09:15 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The road where you do the U-turn was about 4 lanes wide. You could turn, back up and get in line with a trailer. In fact the guy behind did just that, after getting pulled over by the cop that I mentioned in the above post. =)

reneske
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2013 at 10:22 PM

Quote:
Our border crossings are atrocious and an abomination. Came back in a jolly mood and picked Tecate as our crossing of choice around 11AM this morning.

The line looked like a 5 hour wait. We threw around the idea of driving back to TJ, but decided to get in line. It didn't move once in 5 minutes. Turned on the Mexican radio station and heard 100 cars in Otay so we took off in a flash.

Ready Lane Otay was 45 minutes. Back across with our sanity intact -- barely.

Crossed back North at Tecate on Tuesday before noon. Waited in line less than 30 minutes. Never cross on a weekend.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2013 at 06:31 AM

Quote:

Have to look into this as I think the fence road we're talking about comes to an end and returns to #2 not too far from where Ateo took the foto.
It's a residential section of the street where the line has been redirected. I feel bad for the residents who were living a quiet life before this.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.