Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Disneyland To Cabo 3
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2013 at 04:20 PM
Disneyland To Cabo 3

Just wanted to back up a few miles, inasmuch as I forgot to include it in my last post.

The State line checkpoint at Guerrero Negro- I may have read it on this forum; don't exactly recall, but when we arrived and were questioned about fruits and vegetables, and then asked for the "donation" of two bucks to have the vehicle sprayed, I declined, citing allergy issues. We were waived on through. So yes, the bug spray thing is totally optional.

OK. We had a great breakfast at Los Equipales in Mulege. It was a Sunday morning and we could hear the church bells ringing. From what I gather, Scotty rarely opens El Candil for breakfast on Sundays anymore. No great loss, as we thoroughly enjoyed our time at Los Equipales.

Back on the highway headed South. Totally enjoyed our drive through the Conception area. Who would not?

We were approaching Loreto when my two female companions became adamant they they needed a potty break. There is a Pemex on the main highway, but I figured why chance crappy (pun intended) restrooms. So, I swung off into Loreto headed for Salvatierra and the Hacienda Suites hotel.

Inside tip: They have immaculate restrooms just behind their pool bar.

Then went a block or so to the Pemex to fill for the rest of the trip.

I've mentioned it before on this forum, but no problem with stating it again. The Hotel Santa Fe just across the street from Hacienda Suites has tricked-out, Time share type rooms and have signs on the way into town with their low rates.

Personally, I would rather spend my money at a local family run business than pay the Villa Group to stay for the night.

In my opinion, the best thing that happened is that the Santa Fe has a convenience store where one can buy munchies and libations.

So, I recommend staying at Hacienda Suites, eating at Domingo's next door and buying your munchies and libations at Santa Fe.

Gassed up, headed South. I was really surprised, especially given the work Fonatur has done with the hard scape along the main highway in front of Loreto, and also given the Villa folks want to get people to stay at their new Villas del Palmar at Ensenada Blanca that the stretch of highway from Loreto South to there was the absolute worst pavement in all of BCS that we encountered.

Nothing eventful onward through Constitucion. Behaved very carefully at the intersections, and escaped unscathed.

Arrived in La Paz around 3pm. It became a coin toss whether to spend the night there or keep driving on to Cabo. The now completed upgrade of the highway from La Paz to Cabo renders it a trip of less than two hours.

After due deliberation with my companions, we decided to spend the night in La Paz. We went to the El Moro Suites out on the malecon. Been there a number of times. Their rooms range from spartan, to fully tricked out with full kitchens. ( They are a time share operation).

Amazingly got both rooms we had stayed in twice before. For about $80 you get a cooked breakfast included. Nice little restaurant on the East end of the property.

We then hiked about 6-8 blocks to the Tailhunter. For those who are unfamiliar, with this place, it is fundamentally a sports bar on three levels, with great views of La Paz bay. The owner, Jonathan Roldan, who operates fishing boats is a native of Kauai. Their menu is quite eclectic, including many Mexican dishes, fresh fish and Hawaiian dishes. Jonathon's wife Jilly oversees the action. They have a number of big screen TVs for those wishing to watch the current sporting events

I had some really great grilled fish tacos, but the big attraction is that they serve Negro Modelo on draught.

On to Cabo in my next post.

[Edited on 6-2-2013 by Bajahowodd]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-2-2013 at 06:15 PM

Great!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2013 at 06:27 AM

Really good reporting.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.