Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: La Paz to Tecate Trip Report
Angelos
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-13-2013 at 10:28 AM
La Paz to Tecate Trip Report

Roads are better than ever - no detours at all. A few washouts left over from last summer's rains near Puerto Escondido but well marked in advance so there is time to slow down.

The military checkpoint north of Loreto was the most thorough we had every experienced. We are pulling a 5th wheel and they treated us like a cargo truck. We had to back into a stall and empty the contents of one of our garages. We also had to open both slideouts so they could examine all the cupboards. They looked under the bed and made us empty the contents and even took out the holder (something we've only done once when we had to repair some gears).

The most interesting part of the inspection was when they wanted to open the holding tanks. Honestly, I didn't care if they did except that they might be pretty mad when we drove off and they were left with raw sewage on the ground. We explained what each tank held and when I explained the one with the "caca de el bano" they all laughed. I had to tell them several times that by opening a particular valve - that caca would come out on the "tierra" and would be "muy sucia". Of course we wouldn't have like having them empty our fresh water tank very much - but they finally decided to leave the tanks alone - although those tanks would certainly be great places to smuggle drugs if one was so inclined. In all cases, the Mexican inspectors were polite and professional - but very, very thorough. This particular inspection took between 45 minutes and an hour - so it is good to know to add that amount of time to one's itinerary - at least north of Loreto.

Twice along the route at inspection stations we were asked for our "documentacion" which we assumed to be our FM2s or proof of being in the country legally. Once, we were specifically asked to prove we had current, valid papers to be in that part of the country. The inspectors had a notebook and wrote down our names from our FM2s.

We crossed at Tecate and found the US border officials polite, efficient, and quick. We were given the same document as last year concerning what we could bring across. Strange - as it is dated 2009 - yet in previous years things like dog food were confiscated. Not this time - and our dog food wasn't even in its original bag. We just told them it was "Pedigree" and they said fine and let us keep it.

We always enjoy the drive and interacting with the local Mexicans along the way. I'll sure miss the tacos asada, arrechera, and pescado plancha during the summer.

[Edited on 6-13-2013 by Angelos]

The Angelos - Ken, Charlene, Cody & Jake
www.svcrossroads.com
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-13-2013 at 10:40 AM

Thanks for the report. I think if I had been detained for almost hour for an inspection I would have let them open the valve. Then again they may have made me clean it up.
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-13-2013 at 11:31 AM

Thanks for the update. I have always declared dog food when returning to the US, as we must use a special vet food for our elderly dog. After examination we were always on our way. Two years ago they changed their policy and are not interested when I mention it at the kiosk. But, have turkey ham in the cooler and it is taken away. Yes, I know, it is OK, but who argues.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-13-2013 at 04:55 PM

Basically, they closed the checkpoints North of Cabo on both routes, and the agricultural checkpoint just North of La Paz, has reverted to just that. So, The checkpoint North of Loreto is the first one will encounter when headed North fron Cabo. I'm guessing they have a mandate to be extra thorough.

It was the most thorough inspection we encountered in Baja, on our trip in April.

Stopped just short of body cavity searches. :lol:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.