BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Using spare tire to help launch?
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2013 at 06:32 AM

On a side note; we have no problem launching as we have slicks on the trailer bunks. Punch it in reverse, slam on the brakes and the boat is in the water. This means that at the worst, the rear tires up to the bottom of the rims will get wet and I have no problem with this (I know others do).
The retrive can be tough in a stiff northern breeze:
1. White caps on the bay meaning at least a 2 or 3 foot 'beach break'.
2. The wind hitting the back of the boat at a 45 degree.
3. The ramp so shallow that even backing out where all 4 tires are in the water and the tail pipe is gurgling you still can not drive the boat on the trailer; just the bow will rest on the back of the bunks.
By yourself impossible; with one buddy on the leeward side at the back to hold it while you jump into the water and 'run' to the front to get the strap to winch it up while the same mildly drunk buddy is slipping and falling down as the wind and waves push the boat over him onto the rocky beach. When this happened to SWMBO last trip she came up spitting sand and seaweed and told me in no uncertain terms that she was never coming to Baja again until I fixed this. And before anyone says anything, yes, I thought long and hard about that offer.........

The above photo shows the result about an hour after we lost it a few years ago; the wind and waves were maybe about twice what this photo shows.
beachbum1A
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2013 at 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
One of the issues it seems to me is that you need to launch and retrieve the boat stern first. This can cause waves to break over the stern and into the boat. You get around the need for a launch ramp but perhaps not, because ramps are built in protected areas. Most days start out flat as glass but there is a chop by noon and retrieving the boat at such times could be challenging with this setup me thinks.

I've seen a lot of boats beach launched with the stern perpendicular to the incoming swells, causing the waves to break directly over the transom.
If the boat/trailer are positioned at a 45 degree angle to the incoming swells, the waves break on the corner of the transom and the incoming swells are dissipated a bit. This seems to help too.

Just do it!
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2013 at 08:25 AM

If you have a smaller craft and if you have a balanced wheel system (that's a lot of ifs) then you can retrieve if stern first, with nose facing into the waves. With this method you push the boat until the wheels are out of the water and then rotate the boat to nose landward. If it's a mild incline you then pull boat to wherever, otherwise you get the rope. This is usually all easily done by one person (Asuncion) but not always (San Francisquito resort).

PS It might be hard to roll out a boat trailer over those rocks by hand.

[Edited on 8-27-2013 by Skipjack Joe]
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2013 at 11:09 PM

Thought it could be a one man operation with new system.

1. Add Barry's boat guides to trailer (sold at Cabelas)
2. Anchor boat in shallow water when you come in.
3. Roll trailer front first into water.
4. Crank boat onto trailer facing into seas
5. Get rope and clip to one of the holes on cross bar at back of trailer.
6. Truck pulls boat out backwards.

One smaller issue remains with that spare wheel. It only goes forward and backward. You will have to lift the trailer every time you need to adjust the direction. That could get old fast.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.