Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Pez Vela?
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 8-13-2013 at 08:15 AM
Pez Vela?

Is this a generic term used for all billfish? A friend gave me some smoked Pez Vela, which he swore was broadbill...Since it was caught locally, I am skeptical....

vandy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2013 at 08:57 AM

Sailfish.
I have had (and made) incredible-tasting smoked fish of many species.
All I require is that the fish/meat was properly handled.
My favorite for freaking people out: smoked carp with all the small bones dissolved.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2013 at 09:43 AM

Smoked carp is as good as a any smoked fish of any kind....The question tho , COULD this have been a broadbill, as the guy who caught it claimed..

Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2013 at 07:45 AM

NO, Pez Vela is specifically a sailfish, Marlin Azul, Negro, Rayado, .

I have never seen a broadbill this far north, but it is not impossible. The generic term for billfish is Picudo.

Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2013 at 08:15 AM
Question for current Baja fishermen:

What's the legality on taking this class of fish?

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2013 at 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mulegena
1 billfish per boat per day

In Memory of E-57
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2013 at 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alan
Quote:
Originally posted by Mulegena
1 billfish per boat per day

One billfish per person per day.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2013 at 05:16 PM

Bill is correcto.....We dont keep none any

bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2013 at 06:07 PM

Chuckie.....Good for you. Me too. Although, if I did happen to run into a rare swordfish in the SOC and get it to the boat I might have to modify my general policy and bring it home with me.
bajacalifornian
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2013 at 06:29 PM

Hey Bill . . . glad to see you here. Miss Loreto. Not the heat.

I say sail is fine, but smoked . . . only.

American by birth, Mexican by choice.

Signature addendum: Danish physicist — Niels Bohr — who said, “The opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth.
Jeff Petersen
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2013 at 06:41 PM

Jeff.....I saw from your posts here that you are taking a break from Loreto in the summertime. I didn't realize just how hot it is until I took a trip north a couple of weeks ago for some Suzuki parts. The cool breezes in So. Cal. sure felt good. I'm going to splash tomorrow in the SOC and if all is well soon thereafter tow across the hill to Lopez for the fall season. The hoos should be arriving on the banks soon, and it should be a bit cooler on that side.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2013 at 07:10 PM

not claiming to be a smoked fish expert, though have smoked and ate my share, doesn't the color and taste give it up?:?:
mulegejim
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2013 at 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
NO, Pez Vela is specifically a sailfish, Marlin Azul, Negro, Rayado, .

I have never seen a broadbill this far north, but it is not impossible. The generic term for billfish is Picudo.

Pescador is right on... Pez Vela translates as fish sail or as we would say sail fish. I think most sportsmen now practice catch and release with billfish unless they are injured and wouldn't survive anyway. Jim
bajacalifornian
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2013 at 08:17 PM

Hey Mr. willardguy. How's it goin'?

Completely spoiled by Lopez table fish, just sayin' sail is palatable smoked.
Many, mucho mejor.

American by birth, Mexican by choice.

Signature addendum: Danish physicist — Niels Bohr — who said, “The opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth.
Jeff Petersen
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2013 at 09:23 PM

Caught a Pez Vela, Sail Fish in Acapulco in 1995. Had it stuffed and it hangs in my office. I am most proud of that fish and that catch. After having caught it, I will never kill one again. That fish is the most beautiful thing that I have ever seen in my life. When it was in the water and just before it was brought on board, the colors were unbelievably amazing. They weren't subtractive pigment like colors where you need an external light source to see them like a photograph or painted picture where you need light to see it. But, they were additive colors that supply their own light source such as colors emanating from a television or computer monitor where you can turn off all the lights in the room and still the see the colors vividly.

The beautiful metallic like radiant colors off of each and every brilliantly shimmering scale on that fish, covering every imaginable color of the spectrum were mesmerizing and immediately awe inspiring. I knew that I had made a mistake by keeping and landing that fish as within 45 seconds of boating that magnificent animal, it died and the colors vanished just as suddenly. I knew that I was singularly responsible for extinguishing a life force that was more creative and beautiful than anything that I was capable of creating myself.

I won't ever do that again. Not making a judgment of others who want that trophy fish to adorn their walls, I am just speaking for myself after the experience. I look at the fish everyday and marvel at its beauty and magnificence and that way I enjoy it over and over again.

I don't know if the fish is plentiful or endangered. If it is not endangered and you want one for your wall, make sure that you take a really good look at it in the water before it dies. That image will be burned into your brain and you will be filled with awe and admiration and an almost religious euphoria witnessing a unique spectacle of magnificent beauty.
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2013 at 05:22 AM

Billfish, and dorado too, do light up when excited, and quickly fade to dull and drab as life ebbs. I don't have a fish on my wall, but if conditions allow try to get a photo(s) at the boat before release. The one below was taken last month outside Catalana after an intense fifteen minute encounter. The release was with a de-hooker and the pez vela was never touched by human hands. I imagine that it had forgotten the inconvenience within five minutes and was off looking for something more nutritious than my lure turned out to be.
And, the photo is now the background on my desktop.
Help yourself, if you want.

[Edited on 8-15-2013 by bill erhardt]
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2013 at 07:51 AM

Beautiful photo, Bill.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2013 at 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
not claiming to be a smoked fish expert, though have smoked and ate my share, doesn't the color and taste give it up?:?:

Actually the loin or back of sailfish smokes up very well and is quite tasty. Not as good grilled or fried, but a lot of locals think it is great. The area from the center line down is ok but I consider it very greasy and fatty. It smokes out ok, but is pretty oily.

Striped Marlin is not the best of the Marlin to eat, but is certainly better than sailfish. Blue Marlin is very good and is prepared in all the normal ways. Black Marlin is absolutely delicious and is the best of the three.

Of course, swordfish is a class of its own, but it is so rare in our waters as to be almost imaginary.

That being said, I have switched over to circle hooks on everything now and it has been years since I had a billfish to the boat that was not ready to release. I really hate it when the poor thing gets drug up on the boat, injuring internal organs, removing slime which keeps them from getting infections, and then the boat guy throws it overboard and has the audacity to call it a "release". Like Bill Erhardt says, take a great pic, bring them alongside, and then release them IN THE WATER. The new ARC dehooker allows for a good release.

mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 8-16-2013 at 07:50 PM

thx pesca, GREAT advise!...keep the fish in the water!..in my opinion, NONE of the billfish have a flavor or texture where i would want to kill one for culinary purposes...they just aren't worth the sacrifice....kill a dorado and put it one the grill; lots more reward!

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.