Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Fun in the Sun, Lost and Found
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2013 at 06:25 PM
Fun in the Sun, Lost and Found

27-2013

Fun in the Sun:

Friday October 18 I enjoyed an excellent dinner with three old friends at The Godfather restaurant in San Diego. The wine was flowing and the conversations were even better. At last the time had come to leave. I headed to my hotel for the night.

Saturday morning I was up early sipping coffee and packing for the travel that awaits me. On the road heading for Tacate. Delays due to road work on hwy 94 put me thru the border around 9am. I take the toll road to Mexicali and hwy 5 south. I arrive in Gonzaga Bay in the afternoon and spot John in the first palapa along with his wife Barbara and friend Bob. Brian was in the second with his wife and two kids and Russ in the third with his wife and son. Greetings were exchanged, I had not met Russ before.

The weather was great with warm days and cool nights. That evening we sat around a camp fire telling stories and taking pictures of a rising full moon over the water. A beautiful sight for sure. Soon it was time for bed. I have a new cot, one of those wide ones, 39 inches. There is something about sleeping under the stars on a clear cool night. I wake up late almost 7am.

Sunday morning and the kids wanted to play in the water. Brian had brought a couple of rubber canoes. Even the adults had fun with them. Later we went on an exploring trek around the area to find what should not be found and see what should not be seen, in other words have fun and enjoy the sights. However the kids missed the water so we made our way back to the Palapas. I tried fishing, since the fish were jumping out of the water, but instead of catching anything they just nibbled my bait off. As the sun was going down we again sat around another camp fire. The kids and a few adults were eating s’mores with the fixins provided by Brian’s wife. Brian meanwhile cooked up some beef which he sliced and shared with everyone, delicious. Another rising moon over the water provided another picture taking opportunity. Life just doesn’t get much better that this.

Monday morning and it’s time to visit Coco down the road. I plan to head over to the coast after Cocos and the rest of the group are coming back to Gonzaga. First I try my fishing luck again with the same results, just nibbles; maybe the Pacific side will be better.

At Cocos we give him human food, cat food, bottled water and medicine supplies. Brian, John and Russ start the modifications to his parallel walking bars. There were others there that helped too. I mainly provided moral support and entertained other guest with small talk about the weather. They did a great job and Coco was truly touched. It had been a long time since he had walked on two legs.

[URL=http://s1112.photobucket.com/user/tmw5/media/SAM_1770.jpg.html]
[/URL]

Lost and Found:

Soon it was time for us to leave. I went out to hwy 1 and asked the tire man about the road out to the coast. He said the rains had really messed it up, rough going for sure. I also noticed a barbwire fence had been put up along the hwy blocking access to the road. There was however a road behind the fence starting at the tire mans place that accessed the road to the pacific. I decide to move on up the hwy to Catavina and take the dirt road at KM168 to the coast. There is a coastal road going north from the San Jose area to Puerto Canoas. I had never been on it and thus wanted to check it out.

At Catavina I purchased 5 gallons of gas from the roadside vendor for $25. Out I go toward the coast and I noticed that the SCORE ribbons and arrows were up for the Baja 1000. At the coast I get a GPS reading and turn north. The road is well graded for about 3 miles. The grader is on the side on top of a hill with the left rear wheel off. I go another mile or so to a Y. On Google Earth the two roads meet again further north. A little way further and there is a downhill with rain ruts. I decide to get out and check it first. I go down and around the hill and all looks OK but it is starting to get dark. There has not been anyone on the road for a long time so I decide to camp here. I pull over to a nice level spot beside the road. I raise the camper shell lid and I’m shocked to say the least. Where is my bag? It has my passport, cell phone, money, spare truck keys as well as my clothes etc. Oh my god, I had left it on the side of the hwy just north of Chapala/ Cocos turnoff. Coming out from Cocos some of the stuff in the back got bounced around and was blocking my inside rear view mirror so I pulled over and unloaded several bags and stuff and rearranged it all. When I pulled my bag out I put it next to the right rear tire. When I reloaded everything I did not notice it as nothing was behind the truck. I wanting to get out to the coast before dark and was too hasty and took off leaving the bag. Maybe I’m just getting old and forgetful. It was a dumb mistake.

Quickly I turn around and head back. On hwy 1 after Catavina I turn my left front driving light to the left to get a better view of the side of the road hoping to see my bag. No such luck. At Chapala I turn around and aim the right driving light. Again nothing. I spend the night north of Catavina sleeping in the truck in the drivers seat. Tuesday morning I stop at the police station but no one is there. I go to the Mission Catavina hotel and ask if anyone brought a lost bag in. No was the reply from the desk clerk.
I move north to San Quintin and stop at a bank ATM for cash. I get to Tecate at 3:30pm and cross at 4pm. I give the border agent my driver’s license no problem. I ask him about coming back for the 1000 race and would it be a problem not having my passport. He asked how many times I go down and I said about 6 times per year. He said it would not be a problem, that people who cross frequently like several times a month need a passport.

At the market on the U.S. side I call my wife and she says my bag was found and it’s in El Rosario and call my cell phone for details. I call and a lady named Nieves answers. She tells me a local man found my bag and brought her the cell phone to call me or my family or friend since she speaks English. She works at her mother’s market called Villieza located on the right side of the hwy going out of town to the south. This is great news and I told her I would be there tomorrow (Wednesday) morning. I call my wife then immediately start driving south. With all the road construction and check points I make it to San Quintin at 9:30pm and check into the Villa de San Quintin where I’ve stayed many times.

Wednesday morning I have a relaxed breakfast, easy to say now, at the hotel restaurant. Then on to El Rosario. The market was easy to find. Inside was Nieves and her mother and a family friend. We chatted for a bit then she takes me to the man with my bag. He was early 20s I think with a wife and daughter and either his mother or his wife’s mother, I don’t remember which. Everything is there, nothing is missing. I offer a reward and they do not want it, they want nothing, they were just doing the right thing. But I will not take no for an answer and I press them. Finally the mother takes the money. Nieves also refused money but the older lady indicated to her to take it and she did. I again thanked them and I took Nieves back to the market.

I’m soon on my way home. I stop in Ensenada for a bite to eat then move on for Tecate. As I approach the abandoned military checkpoint at KM33 south of Tecate I notice a man moving around. At first I thought it was a soldier that was keeping an eye on things until the rest came back. I had some beer and lunch meat in the cooler and thought I’d give it to him otherwise I would have to get rid of it before crossing the border. I turn around and stop. He was not a soldier but a man that lived near buy. He was out of work and was looking for anything he could sell. He had a wife and 3 daughters. His English was very good. He said he had been a truck driver in the U.S. I asked if he would like some ham and turkey etc. and he said yes. I then thought the heck with it and gave him all my can goods. He had a plastic crate and was going home. I offered him a ride and soon we were at his home, his 3 daughters were at the door, ages 4, 6 and 8. I had some fruit cups in the cooler and sodas I gave him as well as a couple of beers. Then I pulled out my high quality $3.50 bottle of white wine with the screw off cap and told him he and his wife could toast with a glass of wine over a candle light dinner. To that he gave a hearty laugh and many thanks.

I was at the border turn off in Tecate at 5:30pm. I make the left turn, then another. No cars. At the top of the hill I could not see any cars. As I approached the gates my first thought was maybe it was closed. Then I see the Mexican military men waving me to proceed. I turn at the gate and still not one car in front of me. I get the border agent and show her my passport and tell her I can’t believe it there was no one ahead of me. She says well it’s your lucky day. I think to myself how right you are, it is my lucky day and I love it. After a minute or two I’m on my way home.

Another fun and interesting trip to Baja.

[Edited on 10-28-2013 by TW]
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2013 at 06:36 PM

Karma. :cool:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

bajadock
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2013 at 06:43 PM

Nice trip report, TW, thanks.

captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 10-27-2013 at 06:51 PM
nice ,nice

that's a part of Baja,,my folks live on the east cape punta gordo and never need to lock the place..glad you got your bag back !! As somebody that firmly belives (knows) that karma works,, It just doesn't work fast enough for the bad folks for me,,, but works !!
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2013 at 07:11 PM

Good Baja Karma for sure! I went through Tecate yesterday and only waited 15 minutes.... Love that crossing!

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2013 at 07:23 PM

WTG, loved it, thanks for the report!!
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2013 at 07:30 PM

Life is good, isn't it. Next time you have a negative thought, remember this experience.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2013 at 08:03 PM

it all works out in the end....good for you.

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2013 at 09:15 AM

Couldn't have happened to a better guy. So stoked to hear you got the bag back. Realizing you left it somewhere must've been gave a sinking feeling in the stomach. Glad it turned out OK. You'll have to check out that road to Canoas some other time!

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-28-2013 at 09:47 AM

Glad to hear it was found and saved for you Tom!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

rdrrm8e
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2013 at 10:53 AM

Damn allergies...sniffle....sniffle
XRPhlang
Nomad

Mood: Taco me.

[*] posted on 10-28-2013 at 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by elgatoloco

Ditto. I'm sure your account is still way in the black.

[Edited on 10-28-2013 by XRPhlang]
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2013 at 12:33 PM

Really glad that a bit of your good will came back your way. :yes::yes:
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 10-28-2013 at 12:37 PM

Good stuff TW!

spikemd
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2013 at 02:03 PM

Glad to hear everything worked out. Quite an adventure.

I am heading to Gonzaga Bay on Sunday for the first time and was wondering which campground with the palapas you stayed at? I will be visiting a family friend near Punta Buffeo and heading down to Gonzaga as well. Thanks.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2013 at 02:25 PM

Looks like Rancho Grande... the next set of palapas is a just over a mile south of Rancho Grande, at Campo Beluga.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2013 at 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by XRPhlang
Quote:
Originally posted by elgatoloco

Ditto. I'm sure your account is still way in the black.

Hi Phil, really miss seeing your posts! Been busy?

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2013 at 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by spikemd
Glad to hear everything worked out. Quite an adventure.

I am heading to Gonzaga Bay on Sunday for the first time and was wondering which campground with the palapas you stayed at? I will be visiting a family friend near Punta Buffeo and heading down to Gonzaga as well. Thanks.

Yes it was Rancho Grande. You pay at the store across from the PEMEX station and take the road on the south side of the airstrip out to the beach. I think the palapas with the covered sides like we had are $20 and the open ones are $10. They are numbered and you might want to go out there and check first because some of the out houses have broken doors. If you stay there you probably want a palapa across from a good out house.
Sublimity
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2013 at 08:09 PM

It was great seeing you TW.

Fun and Interesting...you always manage to squeeze both in huh?! Glad everything worked out and I got to agree with everyone else, karma at its best.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.