BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Gonzaga Bay with the Whole Family.
Sublimity
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2013 at 07:12 PM
Gonzaga Bay with the Whole Family.

After reading so many trip reports and “lurking” around this board for some time now, I have decided to share my own! It is rather long but I hope you enjoy it. I will try to post up some pictures later.

This trip would be my wife (Nichole) and daughter’s (Ashley) first time on the peninsula and only the third time for my son (Bradley) and I. The itinerary was rather simple; Gonzaga Bay for three nights, then head North to Pete’s Camp for the last night. With the exception of one project further South at Coco’s Corner, the overall goal was to do nothing but enjoy the Baja feeling.

It’s Friday, we are all packed up, the wife is convinced that she forgot to pack something but unsure what (we all know the feeling)! The kids get off of the school bus; we load into the FJ and begin our trek South. We had decided to stay the night in El Centro, meet up with Russ, Molly, and Gavin then cross the border first thing in the morning. We stayed at the Clarion Inn; I would not recommend this hotel. It appeared that their conference room doubles as a nightclub on the weekends with after-hours partying in the parking lot…not much sleep was had.

7 a.m. we were all gassed up, hopped onto HWY 8, exited onto the 111 North to meet up with John M, Barbara, and Bob. Got back on the road at 8:15, stopped to get some pesos then continued on. We crossed Calixico West, I mistakenly made an immediate right just beyond the border but a u-turn, left, and then right turn I was back with the crew. Cruising through Mexicali was a breeze and we were all well on our way.

Several road construction detours were encountered along the 5. Kilometer 72, 73, 74, and 77 all had short bypasses off onto the shoulder. The largest project was at Kilometer 106-112 (approx). Major construction was taking place through this stretch and though it was a dirt detour, I have experienced paved roadways in my hometown that were in much worse condition!

We stopped at Pete’s Camp for lunch and a cold beverage, cruised through the melecon to acquire some quick shopping items, then continued Southbound. Traffic was virtually non-existence. The only caution requiring attention was the infamous dips which are still alive and well. A couple of us made a pit stop at Cowpatty’s. Got some beverages, enjoyed the weather and then hopped back on the highway to catch up with the rest of the group. The new highway was great, however through some of the sections there were large boulders on the road. The pavement ends at the end of the last completed bridge…I apologize, as by this time I was in my Baja “mindset” and failed to record the kilometer! My best estimate would be that the checkpoint is no more than 1 mile from this point.

We all agreed upon camping at Rancho Grande and I was surprised to see that palapas 1-7 (I think?) now had walls installed. As everyone was setting up camp we were gladly interrupted by a white Toyota truck pulling in; it was, well whom else, TW! Always pleasant company to have whether it be South or North of the border! We continued on cooking dinner and then gathered around the campfire to exchange stories. TW shared with me the only two things he requires of his trips to Baja… (1. That it be interesting and (2. That it be fun. I loved that these were his only requirements and being that I have read almost all of his trip reports on this board, I am certain that I am not the only one that agrees he stays true to this!

We were woken in the morning by sunrise. Those who knew the beauty of the occurrence took it in silently; meanwhile those who had never experienced could not believe the splendor image-taking place before them. We had all purchased some inflatable kayaks for this trip; the bay was glass so the air pump came out, kayaks were inflated, and fun was had paddling around. The kids were having a blast finding shells, corralling crabs, and catching fish with nothing more than their hats. Everyone was in the Baja frame of mind!

A couple of us headed over to Alfonsinas for lunch. The food was excellent as was the hospitality. We conversed with others at the restaurant and stopped at one of the residents along the beach. I forgot their names, but great people and they even shared with us some fish they caught earlier and had smoked with apple wood…yum!

Yet another moonlight night reflecting on the water hanging out around the campfire. We had a busy day ahead of us, so we all retired a bit earlier then normal.

The next morning we all geared up and headed for Coco’s to install handrail extensions and deliver some miscellaneous commodities. The road to Coco’s was not in that bad of shape, however most of the side trails proved to be the better option. I came upon a yellow Jeep and Ford truck along the way. They were stopped and after affirming everything was okay I asked if they were headed to Coco’s, to which they answered no. Once at Coco’s, we immediately got to work. Everyone chipped in, including the guy’s from the Jeep and Ford truck…yes, of course they stopped and they provided great assistance, both with translations and labor! The group was from Rosarito and all but one had never been to nor heard of Coco’s Corner.

The extensions were installed; Coco prepared to don his prosthetics and walk to extended handrail. I will keep this short as John M did a full report on this event. The only thing I will add is that the emotions felt by everyone there was not only humanitarian in nature, but perhaps more importantly the Baja Feeling! Coco was his self; laughter and good times were had by all present. At this point, we parted ways with TW, as he was continuing south and we took our time traversing the trails back to camp.

Once back at camp, dinner was being prepared and Russ realized that he had forgot to give some antibiotics to Coco, so a trip was planned for the morning. We had another perfect moonlight night and everyone turned it in; Ashley made the decision to sleep in the hammock strung across the palapa…put a smile on my face!

As the sun began peeking across the Sea of Cortez, Russ, Bradley and I are ready to head over to Coco’s. We got there and Russ handed him the antibiotics and gave his compadre a pair of sweatpants provided by Bob. Coco stated that his left knee was sore from the day before. I asked if he was all ready for the 1000; he responded that the rope lighting strung up the two poles had came loose and required someone to go to the top in order to re-attach. The only ladder available was not nearly tall enough, so without fear of OSHA, Russ and I decided that if we pulled the truck over and stood the ladder in the bed, we would have a better chance. The decision of who was going to scale the ladder was easy, Russ is an electrician and clearly this was an electrical issue! Just placing the ladder against the poles was unnerving; as all the strung-out aluminum cans began to sing. During this time, Coco took Bradley over to one of his other quads and both of them went out for a ride while we handled the task at hand. Really? How many 10 year-olds can say that they rode quads, in the Baja Desert, with a legend? Priceless! Russ completed one set of lights and we move onto the other pole. A he was on the highest step of the ladder, on his tiptoes’ trying to fish the lights through an eyebolt, we heard what sounded like a Volkswagen Bug coming around the corner. No, it was nothing close to this…not even a vehicle, it was a swarm of bees headed straight for Russ at the top of the pole. Holding that ladder, watching Russ franticly come down as the pole moved a good 18 inches up top and the sound of those cans is an experience both of us will never forget. After Bradley and Coco were done riding we said our goodbyes and headed back to Gonzaga.

Once we got to the market and made the right towards camp we seen a sight that made all of us say, “Only in Baja”! There was a plane pulled up to the fuel dispenser at the Pemex pumping gas and two other planes waiting their turn; quite a sight indeed. Back at camp we began the dreaded packing up and parting with my beloved Gonzaga Bay.

All packed up we begin heading North. The checkpoint was pleasant as was the rest of the drive, frequently pulling off the road for pictures. We once again patronized the Melecon in San Felipe; this time for a “big” blanket for Ashley (my daughter) and a hammock for Bradley so that he too can sleep in it on our last night in Baja. We head to Pete’s Camp, eat lunch, part ways with Russ, Molly, and Gavin as they needed to get back for obligations. The kids picked the perfect palapa for which we would camp under that night. I strung both hammocks out across from each other under the palapa…kids were really excited about this! The tide was out, Bradley and Ashley seized the opportunity to find some great seashells. About this time an Ultralight landed in between the rows of palapas and we were greeted by a guy named Choy (spelling??). Choy said 40 dollars for a ride. I said, “I don’t know” to which he quickly responded, “Come on, in Choy you trust”! I asked Nichole, who was lying in her chair reading a book, if she wanted to go. At first the answer was no, then it quickly turned to yes. She got in and they soon took flight. From the distance, I see Ashley running up from the beach asking if that was mommy and if it was then she was going next. Well, once Nichole landed Ashley hopped on and went for a ride that gave her not only the biggest smile I have ever seen on her face, but also a memory that will not soon be forgotten. Next up was Bob. He to had a little kid smile on him and even proclaimed that he can now check this off his “bucket-list”!

The night in San Felipe was a bit cooler than the previous three at Gonzaga, but still pleasant. We woke up, I cooked some eggs, bacon, leftover tri-tip from the night before, and fresh cinnamon rolls in the waffle iron. Breakfast was good; we loaded up, met John M, Barbara, and Bob up at the restaurant, topped off the tanks at Pemex and made our way to the border. We breezed right through the inspection at the 3. The construction activity was more present then it was on Saturday but no real delays. We crossed at Mexicali West; the line was not long and 45 minutes later we were back on U.S. soil.

Just prior to crossing the border, both of our phones got service and the messages were just blowing up. Yep, all the youth football “drama” we had left behind 5 days prior was still present and at an all time high. The wife and I look at each other and say…let’s turn around and go back! It was also during this time that Barbara received the message from TW’s wife saying that someone had found his bag with his passport, money, and clothes. Barbara confirmed everything was handled; we parted ways and drove the Old Hwy 111 East of the Salton Sea (I personally like this route!).

I will have to admit that I was unsure how my wife would take to the whole Baja experience. However, my “worries and uncertainties” would prove to be nothing. She loved everything about it, can’t wait to go back, and continues to engage me in conversation about the simplicity of life there and how great it would be to retire early in Baja. Oh…and Ashley also really enjoyed her trip (not really all that surprising to everyone who knows her!). Bradley, well he is truly at home in Baja!

The company really made this trip and I am truly fortunate to travel south with individuals that have been exploring Baja longer than I have been alive! Muchos Gracias to John M, Barbara, Bob (Ed Bravo), and TW. Though it means getting old, I look forward to passing the knowledge these individuals entrust me with to the next generation of Baja explores!
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 10-28-2013 at 07:32 PM

good times!

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2013 at 07:47 PM

nice

acadist
Super Nomad

Mood: Waiting for the Sun

[*] posted on 10-28-2013 at 08:53 PM

;)

Dave
I moved to CO and they made me buy a little rod to make it feel like a real fish
dizzyspots
Senior Nomad

Mood: rather be on the beach at Gonzaga

[*] posted on 10-28-2013 at 10:06 PM

thanks for sharing...headed down to GB Wed on to Coco's with more parts for the handrails and other goodies...courtesy of John M
Keri
Super Nomad

Mood: muy contento

[*] posted on 10-29-2013 at 07:40 AM

great story, Hope you have many more to share with us,k:yes:

http://www.pyramidresort.com
011521-646-119-9445
jbcoug
Senior Nomad

Mood: Needing Baja!

[*] posted on 10-29-2013 at 07:48 AM

What great family time!

\"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person.\" Andy Rooney
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-29-2013 at 08:35 AM

What a great trip and report 'Sublimity' (Brian?)!! Welcome to Nomad... Looking forward to photos. Planes at the Pemex pump? Great stuff indeed!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2013 at 11:01 AM

Great report, thanks. I've also heard that planes pull up to refill at the PEMEX station but never seen one. I hope you have a picture of Russ on the ladder but then again you may have been too busy holding it to take one. Wonder what made the bees come for Russ, the sound of the cans?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2013 at 11:20 AM

Speaking of Africanized bees near Coco's... July 2012, plugging a leak in the tire just north of Las Arrastras (about 5 miles north of Coco's)... they were aggressive there... fastest tire repair ever!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Sublimity
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2013 at 04:34 PM

Going to try and post a photo...be patient!

[img][/img]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2013 at 04:56 PM

Great with photo... you can paste the IMG tag without also using the Nomad button (why you see [img] and the other tag at the end of the photo. You can post several photos in one Nomad post... I do double space between the photo IMG links... Nice looking family!

Sublimity
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2013 at 05:02 PM

All loaded up...Heading South.
[img][/img]

One of the several detours along the 5.
[img][/img]

Lunch at Pete's Camp!
[img][/img]

The end of pavement on the 5.
[img][/img]

Lunch at Alfonsinas.
[img][/img]

I am thinking we should get him one of those hats that holds two beers and has a straw!!
[img][/img]

Nichole and Barbara having a drink during a pit stop.
[img][/img]

Bradley and Coco riding quads.
[img][/img]

Got this shot as Russ was fixing the lights...just prior to the swarm of bees.
[img][/img]

OSHA Approved...Right?!
[img][/img]

In Choy we trust!
[img][/img]

What a great family vacation.
[img][/img]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2013 at 05:31 PM

Awesome!

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2013 at 05:37 PM

Great
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2013 at 12:04 AM

Wonderful pics!!!! I had a swarm of bees come at me hiking alone near Guadalupe Bay...I HEARD them before seeing them...thought it was an aircraft of some sort...very scary...never have run so fast before or since :o
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2013 at 05:14 PM
Photos

Look at those smiles! Yep a good time indeed.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.