Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: LaPaz Conference: Creating a Baja Ecology Network
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2013 at 10:58 AM
LaPaz Conference: Creating a Baja Ecology Network

A couple weeks ago, my neighbor Linda and I were invited to go to La Paz for an all expenses paid 3 day conference to create a Baja network of people concerned with preserving Mexico. It was very enlightening and I would like to share a bit with you:

Here is the whole group, Linda is the woman to the farthest left and I am the gordita sitting down, on the right. We are all wearing the t-shirts we were given:

The guy sitting next to me was the only other gringo (although I am Mexican now) and he lives in a community of 100 houses north of San Jose del Cabo. He is very concerned about turtles on their beach as well as the plans that 2 huge hotel groups have to build mega-structures (one is Bartolo and I can't remember the other). He has lived in the area for years:

The woman in the black was one of the organizers from WildCoast or CostaSalvage, the group that sponsored our get together. In this photo, she is talking to my neighbor, Linda.

Inthefar back, you can see a blue plastic bin. There were 3 of these and they are huge compost containers that can be easily turned. I really liked that idea and am considering having some big ones put in La Bocana for groups of neighbors to share.

Our first day was getting to know each other since we were quite a big group. the 2nd day, they had people give presentations. We had folks come from many gvt agencies who explained what their particular departments were responsible for.

The local representative for BCS came, Mr. Jesus Verdugo AKA Guero. He has been given the position of state Environmental Representative and he joked: "They punished me by giving me this position." "There is no money and no initiative to really do anything." It was brutally honest on his part, but he knew we were not going to be placated with platitudes.

Guero and I are very good friends since he is originally from La bocana. We have collaborated on a lot of projects. He and his wife have always been concerned with the environment and Baja.

One of the people that came to the conference was a guy from Oaxaca. He explained to us that he is part of a group of individuals who live near Huatulco. They are Indian and independent from Mexico and by that I mean they are not governed by the Mexican Laws at all.

One of the things his village does differently: if they all agree that there should be a community center (for example), every person in the village comes out on every Sunday to build together. It is considered normal. No one discusses the possiblilty of not coming, it is as integral a part of their culture as eating and drinking. I wish I could remember the name of this system but I don't have my notes with me right now.ir

The community has agreed NOT to build more than absolutely necessary. They want to keep their area intact, no hotels (individual families rent rooms) and only one restaurant. They are completely in tune with not polluting and with eating locally produced food.

The Oaxacan brought some fried grasshoppers and these are pics of Guero and one of the other presenters eating them:

There was another gentleman there who also came from Oaxaca, and he works for SEMARNAT gvt. agency. Well, about 10 years ago he decided to protect a small area on a beach where turtles laid eggs. What started with 100 or so turtles is now around 200,000 turtles ! The whole area is protected and the video of all the turtles is beyond words beautiful. It is on youtube, I can try to find it.

We stayed at a place called EPI Ecology Project International. These are dorm-like residences with access to a kitchen and wifi too. I asked, and the cost per person in 128 pesos a night. Probably about 7 blocks from the malecon, it is a cheap enough alternative to a hotel. I can't find the pics, I think I deleted them. OOOOOPS

We brainstormed on individual dreams. Jaime's wife (Asuncion) loves animals and we talked about creating posters that would promote better treatment of dogs. And getting the vets to head over to Asuncion to fix dogs and cats.

We also talked about getting together in different towns around BCS to do group cleanups. I love that idea ! Bahia Asuncion and Lopez Mateos are on my list !

So, there you have it!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2013 at 12:01 PM

Nice report Blanca. Lack of money is not a good thing, but there is a lot going on and that is a good thing.

Anyone on facebook can see the two Costasalvaje Bahia Asuncion pages and see what they are working on. There is so much to be done, and there are some really very dedicated people involved in Bahia Asuncion and in many other places around Baja.

Facebook Page for Costasalvaje, Bahia Asuncion

Bahia Asuncion Costasalvaje Group page

While change keeps one going and it was time enjoy some new adventures, we sure miss our friends down there and can't wait to visit.

[Edited on 11-10-2013 by DianaT]
jbcoug
Senior Nomad

Mood: Needing Baja!

[*] posted on 11-10-2013 at 02:57 PM

Blanca, thanks for the report. It sounds very encouraging. It is unfortunate that there is no money, but the most important resource is people. Keep up the good work and the number of people will grow.

John

\"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person.\" Andy Rooney

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.