Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mexicali to S.F. to Coco's Corner to Hwy 1 at Chapala
Phil S
Super Nomad

Mood: After 34 years. Still in love w/ my wife

[*] posted on 11-14-2013 at 07:11 AM
Mexicali to S.F. to Coco's Corner to Hwy 1 at Chapala

Third time this way in over twenty years. Great road now to Gonzaga Bay. Overnight at Alfonsino's. Had dinner with delightful couple from Colorado headed to their home in Punta Chivato with a pickup load of "stuff". Nice folks. NOW FOR THE REST OF THE STORY on the road. We clocked about 36.0 miles from the Pemex station at G.B. to Hwy 1. Took us exactly one and one half hours for the trip. We are driving a late model Toyota Sienna. I wouldn't tow any kind of trailer over this road EVER until it's paved. And I am a very experienced 'tow traveler'. Besides a killer for the trailer, it would be dangerous. We met only a couple cars coming our way during that time. There are areas where you would slice tires if you were pulling anything heavy and going up some of those grades. (tow vehicles tires that is) We drove in the adjoining dirt roads when ever we could, and that was like a freeway compared to the main road. (that's using the term politely) Yes, we will return the same way, with some slower speeds in certain areas. Wendy recorded events/washouts, dangerous sections using the tripometer (?sp) starting at the Pemex station at Gonzaga Bay. It's long and lengthy. No signs of life at Coco's, but was about 6:30 a.m. Maybe too early for him yet.
At times we were at 5 mph. Other times, & mostly 25-40 mph. We never bottomed out (high centered with rocks) though there were some scary times as we slowed because there wasn't ANY alternate advantage. Much zig zagging necessary on this road. And my biggest surprise once on the pavement???? Not one single danged rattle anywhere. NOW this really surprised me. Toyota's are the greatest. Yes. We'll buy another one some day. Oh yes. One last thing. Most of you who know me by now know that I'm obsessed with Toyo Tires for taking a beating & keep on rolling the miles without incident. Yes, they are expensive. But in the greater aspect of safety & mileage & ability to take abuse, they are not expensive in the long haul. Viva la Baja!!!!! We did stop at The Parrotts Cracker. to find they were closed, preparing for a special event that evening. Visited with the owner. Really nice fellow. We'll try them for sure next time. We did stop at Cafe' Azul and had a great breakfast. Highly recommend, though they don't sell beer or hard stuff???? Oh well. That's what makes Baja so interesting to visit.

[Edited on 11-14-2013 by Phil S]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.