Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: My Baja support team!
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 11-29-2013 at 02:44 PM
My Baja support team!

After returning from my latest Baja run, I found quite a few problems with the old Jeep Rubicon. When breaking down, Tijuana is a great place to be - repair work is affordable and so is lodging.

My mechanic Luis does great work at an unbeatable price. U2U me if visiting Tijuana and in need of a reliable, hard-working Baja mechanic.

Luis installing my Currie Motor Mount Lift - February 2013

Luis helping me align my winch cable - November 2013

John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2013 at 02:56 PM
Always nice to know of a good mechanic

Other stuff, like Toyotas? How would someone find him.....?

John M
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-29-2013 at 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by John M

John M

John, repairs after every run are the reason you and I no longer own Jeeps ...!:light:

Thanks for your posts Ken, you know I have full sympathy for what you have to do... and at least you get to go to Baja, in any vehicle! :cool:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2013 at 03:45 PM

That jeep doesn't look like it has ever been off of the asphalt

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
- Albert Einstein

Follow Cortez Blue
www.cortezblue.com

We put the FUNK in disFUNKtion
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2013 at 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Originally posted by John M

John M

John, repairs after every run are the reason you and I no longer own Jeeps ...!:light:

Thanks for your posts Ken, you know I have full sympathy for what you have to do... and at least you get to go to Baja, in any vehicle! :cool:

David - If you could follow my Jeep, you could say what you say.lol But, you would have to drive your 4 doors through Mano Canyon and make it up the stairsteps and ball-bearing rock hills to say that. Jeeps are some of the most rugged vehicles you can buy on the market today. Their reliability is well-known.

[Edited on 11-30-2013 by Ken Cooke]

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2013 at 04:35 PM

Ken, there is nothing quite like a Jeep... I agree with you. My Tacoma gets me to Mission Santa Maria, and that is my benchmark for as tough a road as there is. That road did snag my rear bumper, dropping off a rock ledge... and a Jeep's shorter wheelbase and steep angle of approach/ departure make it pretty amazing and well designed (dating back to the concept vehicle created by American Bantam, in 1940).

The issues I express (my opinion from experience owning Jeep, Toyota, Plymouth, Subaru, VW, Mitsubishi and Mazda vehicles) have to do with quality of construction and quality of materials... In both cases, (many) American brands are sadly lacking, especially when compared to equivalently priced Japanese brands... In the case of my Tacoma, it is Mexican made, too! Viva Toyota de Baja California (located along Hwy. 2 between Tijuana and Tecate).

Viva Jeep, Viva Toyota, Viva Baja!!!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2013 at 06:37 PM
Non OEM components needing attention and TLC

My winch cable problem had more to do with running washboard roads as the nut/bolt that fell out prevented the full extension of the winch cable. Luis was able to help me tighten the cable down with appropriate-sized hardware and the painstakingly slow job of winding in the winch cable.

Packing up the winch cable in lower Mano Canyon

The front end problems I am experiencing have to do with aftermarket steering geometry and running 35" tires - a challenge when running a 4WD vehicle on long distance runs like this one. The problem will eventually be solved with the installation of longer, adjustable front control arms. I am going through lower Polyurethane track bar bushings at the rate of about 1 per month, now.

The problematic track bar bushing (right) creates a wobbling sensation after every long 4WD run.

The fuses need to be checked to see why the Extreme Viair double compressor system won't compress air.

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-30-2013 at 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by CortezBlue
That jeep doesn't look like it has ever been off of the asphalt

Well, anyone who reads Nomads for any length of time knows that's not the case. I guess it just cleans up nicely.

I have a stock Jeep and I wouldnt dare take it the places Ken goes. Just too much risk for a vehicle that is, largely, our primary vehicle.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2013 at 05:14 PM
Taking a Jeep or Toyota up a nasty trail...

One of the features that Ken and I appreciate about our vehicles is traction control system that greatly enhance a vehicle's ability to climb or cross uneven or steep terrain, deep mud, etc. Baja is a land with many places that can be visited easier in 4WD, with less damage to the road. Slow, crawling does the least amount of damage to road and vehicle. 2WDs need momentum to surge up or through difficult place, and their spinning tires cause damage to roads.

4WD is usually enough traction off the highway, as it doubles the traction of 2WD vehicles.

However, if one tire on either axle gets off the ground or in a slippery surface, it will spin and the other tire on that axle does nothing... this is typical open differentials at work (Open differentials permit easy steering on solid ground). The comedy film 'My Cousin Vinny' is great at explaining this. Limited slip differentials are better than open in off road conditions. 'Locker differentials' have been the ultimate way to get through.

A locking differential connects both tires together, so if one goes in the air, all the power is not lost to it and you can keep driving. The Jeep Rubicon has selectable front and rear locking differentials, and when employed, the Rubicon is nearly unstoppable. To negotiate tight trails, like the road to Mission Santa María, the differentials need to be unlocked.

Toyotas with the Off Road package have a selectable locking rear differential, and that has really helped get one's vehicle to nearly everywhere. The rear is where weight transfers when climbing, so that is the most advantageous one to lock, and has the least issue with steering.

A few years ago, Toyota introduced the A-TRAC system in the Off Road TRD models. A-TRAC senses wheel spin and uses the brakes to automatically match wheel rotation across the axle... so both receive near equal power to keep the vehicle moving... and this works on the front and rear axles. The really neat part of A-TRAC is that your differentials remain open, so there are no steering issues or need to turn A-TRAC off all the time you are in low range 4WD.

In the following video, first see a Jeep CJ-7, with open differentials have a tough time... then see a Toyota 4Runner (also open differentials) have a go, then try again with the A-TRAC button pushed. A Jeep Rubicon follows it, and with lockers it is easy.

The spotter is shouting directions ('driver'/'passenger'/'straight') to help wheel placement in the blind zone as one climbs.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2013 at 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

In the following video, first see a Jeep CJ-7, with open differentials have a tough time... then see a Toyota 4Runner (also open differentials) have a go, then try again with the A-TRAC button pushed. A Jeep Rubicon follows it, and with lockers it is easy.

The driver of the CJ-7 could lower his tire pressure from 30+ psi down to about 10-12 psi and handle most of that trail without lockers.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2013 at 12:05 AM

Agree!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.