BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: love the smell of bean oil in the morning?
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-24-2013 at 12:03 PM
love the smell of bean oil in the morning?

the perfect last minute gift for that racer in your life. made with real blendzall racing castor 2-stroke oil. talk about opening a floodgate of memories!!!
get em at flyingtigermoto.com

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 12-24-2013 at 12:44 PM
OMG. My mom used to give me a teaspoon once a week

Vegetable oils, due to their good lubricity and biodegradability are attractive alternatives to petroleum-derived lubricants, but oxidative stability and low temperature performance limit their widespread use.[31] Castor oil has better low temperature viscosity properties and high temperature lubrication than most vegetable oils, making it useful as a lubricant in jet, diesel, and race car engines.[32] The viscosity of castor oil at 10°C is 2,420 centipoise.[33] However, castor oil tends to form gums in a short time, and its use is therefore restricted to engines that are regularly rebuilt, such as race engines. Biodegradability results in decreased persistence in the environment (relative to petroleum-based lubricants[34]) in case of an accidental release. The lubricants company Castrol took its name from castor oil.

Bob Durrell
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 12-24-2013 at 05:13 PM

Love that smell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-24-2013 at 05:32 PM

Castrol R @ 16:1... man , I burned a lot of that stuff over the years.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-24-2013 at 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by msteve1014
these candles will put you right back to Indian Dunes!:yes:

[Edited on 12-25-2013 by willardguy]
neilm81301
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-24-2013 at 09:20 PM
Yeah, or Bay Mare!

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
Quote:
Originally posted by msteve1014
these candles will put you right back to Indian Dunes!:yes:

[Edited on 12-25-2013 by willardguy]
baja2013

[*] posted on 12-25-2013 at 08:38 PM
blendzall bean oil

Didnt know anyone here would know Bay Mare ..my first race was there in 1967....how about Prado Park, Perris , Ascot, Elsinore, Acton, got many more in this memory....but ....might be boring ...for most ...thanks for the memory....Factory OSSA Rider..#6
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-25-2013 at 09:25 PM

raced for andy at mid valley?
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 12-25-2013 at 09:40 PM

Crewed for Carl Byers as a novice at Ascot when he was dicing with Kenny Roberts and Gary Scott every week. Montessa, Bultaco, and us out of Lucky Yamaha in Lemon Grove. I seem to have gone from white pants to white hair.:lol:

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
baja2013

[*] posted on 12-25-2013 at 10:15 PM
Vagabundo

Wow ........small world ..Raced for Hockies of torrance.........Ossa gave me a 250 ...for Ascot ..I knew Carl and he was in my Ascot race days ..I won my first Ascot TT ..Carl was in that race along with Kenny Roberts and Gary Scott...still have my Leathers and still can get in them! .....Ascot 117R....ps what happened to Ray Vanderpooll , heard he Died?....u2 me sometime seems we have some history.....Dirt Racer
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 12-25-2013 at 11:18 PM

The only other person I can think of from that time was Wayne Hosaka that I worked with at Suzuki Lemon Grove. If I remember right he was paralyzed in his first pro race at Ascot. He passed away in '11 I think.

I wan't much of a flat track guy, I rode AFM roadracers for Jim Cavin at San Diego Suzuki, and mixed in a season working with the dragster team, and went to Bonneville with Jim and rode the #72 APSC 250 Suzuki to a 117.252 against a 107.xxx record in '69. My only claim to fame.

Castrol and open expansion chambers.

I hang with Michael Zanger and Dennis McFall in my neighborhood, maybe you recognize their names from FT down there in those days. BSA and Triumph guys.

I hope your bells are jingling nicely.

[Edited on 12-26-2013 by vgabndo]

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-26-2013 at 01:13 AM

Until five years ago I was still high point on Speedway Bikes here in the Northwest. And you know what those Jawas burn. Anyone want to go make left turns?

I did a bunch of dyno tests back in the late 60's with a water cooled Bultaco T.S.S. We found that the bean oil gave us almost total relief from piston seizure but the power dropped off after perhaps a half an hour of running. It turned out to be the rings gumming up. So we started running mineral oils.

The new mineral oils I burn in my ultra light plane are wonderful but I miss the smell. I get the Jawa out in a field whenever it snows and alarm the neighbors. My wife thinks that owning a slipper that only fits my left foot is a little weird. Especially when it is made out of steel.

Mike
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 12-26-2013 at 02:25 AM

Mahle?

baja2013

[*] posted on 12-26-2013 at 12:25 PM
Mike

Thats cool ....I have my steel slipper also....made by Ken Maely ....its on the wall !....
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 12-27-2013 at 07:13 AM

Me too, maybe I spelled it wrong? Raced Triumphs out of Cancillas in San Jose and kept at it one way or another for 50 years.....Bean oil..ah yes.....Bultacos, CZ's, Ossa..bring em back....

baja2013

[*] posted on 12-27-2013 at 11:29 AM
Chuckie........

So you must know Don Castro?

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.