BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Great Baja ride report on Bay Area Riders Forum (BARF)
bent-rim
Nomad

Mood: Living la vida mota

[*] posted on 1-20-2014 at 04:34 PM
Great Baja ride report on Bay Area Riders Forum (BARF)

There's a great ride report on Bay Area Riders Forum. It's titled "Solo trip to Baja by bike...plane ride back...NSFW due to animal carnage!" I'll try to post a link, but I usually fail.
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?=448...
Posting is in the general section.

[Edited on 1-21-2014 by bent-rim]

[Edited on 1-22-2014 by BajaNomad]
dravnx
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2014 at 03:29 PM
Motorcycle Trip Report

I very rarely post except when I 'm looking for information or advice prior to a trip but I found this and thought fellow Nomads would find it entertaining. Follow this link to a motorcycle trip report. The rider did a lot of wrong things and lots of right things but came out better then when he started. What a great attitude.
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44...
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2014 at 04:14 PM

What a great story!

"The future ain't what it used to be"
bajadock
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2014 at 04:42 PM

That is one heckuva adventure. But, did I read a 17 hour day on the bike? Wowzers, that is a death wish in Baja.

Glad he made it ok and that his attitude overcame his aptitude.

vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 1-21-2014 at 05:11 PM

I read that story when it was posted earlier. I guess he straightened-out you guys that thought San Felipe was a nice place!

Slowing his overloaded KLR ALL the way down to 40 MPH for a herd of goats, when he had acknowledged that he didn't ride well enough to keep from getting his dual sport hopelessly stuck countless times on a dirt road, certainly seems not slow enough.

And, what don't I understand about permanently mounted jumper cables catching fire? Odd.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
bent-rim
Nomad

Mood: Living la vida mota

[*] posted on 1-21-2014 at 09:22 PM

The latest speculation is that the jumper cables ignited gasoline spilling from the carb.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-21-2014 at 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bent-rim
There's a great ride report on Bay Area Riders Forum. It's titled "Solo trip to Baja by bike...plane ride back...NSFW due to animal carnage!" I'll try to post a link, but I usually fail.
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?=448...
Posting is in the general section.

[Edited on 1-21-2014 by bent-rim]

[Edited on 1-22-2014 by BajaNomad]

Was the story real or fictional comedy? How can someone be so incompetent?
dravnx
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2014 at 03:53 PM

Yes he did a lot of wrong things but what I took away from his story was his great attitude. That was the point of my posting.
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2014 at 08:01 PM

Thanks for posting the story. On second thought, the rider didn't know much about Baja, and his situation put him in the middle of a pretty "authentic" cultural experience. Few people with a LOT of Baja experience have watched their transportation go up in smoke and the evisceration of a warm animal, followed by its being served to them for dinner all in the same day. Two out of three sure, but...

Makes me wonder who owned the goats. The owner/herder didn't show up even for a plume of smoke? Or, was the rescuer also the goat herder?

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

Bill Kauth

bajadogs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2014 at 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vgabndo
Thanks for posting the story. On second thought, the rider didn't know much about Baja, and his situation put him in the middle of a pretty "authentic" cultural experience. Few people with a LOT of Baja experience have watched their transportation go up in smoke and the evisceration of a warm animal, followed by its being served to them for dinner all in the same day. Two out of three sure, but...

Makes me wonder who owned the goats. The owner/herder didn't show up even for a plume of smoke? Or, was the rescuer also the goat herder?

I wondered the same thing vgabndo. That's quite a loss for a simple goat herder. Since the rescuer lives less than 10 minutes away from the crash and burn site I'm sure he knew who the goat owner was and maybe did him a favor. I was also drawn to the story because I ride the same bike (KLR650). It was obviously the riders fault by not slowing way down when large animals are around. Not to beat a dead horse, or donkey, or goat but it sure seems to me there are so many more road hazards that would cause harm to the inattentive driver than a bicyclist. The link from that thread to another KLR650 rider who hit a donkey in mainland Mex is heart-wrenching -

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136505

Pages 1-3 are a joyous adventure. Pages 11-13 made me cry.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-22-2014 at 11:30 PM

The rider now knows to
Slow down
Share the road
With goats
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2014 at 08:59 AM

Wow. That was an interesting read. Fire, death, and Baja hospitality.

Waste oil should be properly disposed of in this day and age though.
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2014 at 10:15 AM

Wow, Bajadogs...I read Claytons's story, and knowing it wasn't going to end well, immediately came across these two clues. Expenses: $100.00 for "How to ride a motorcycle school". Clue # 2, " It was my longest motorcycle ride yet, at about 175 miles, "

Holy crap man, I know I too thought I was bullet-proof at that age, but just like the goat story, this disaster really smacks of ill-preparedness. And, his health insurance was from Mutual of Generosity of Strangers. If I were a woman, I'd probably be even more put-off by his attitude about "landing" women, and bragging about it! And then again maybe I'm just OLD.

Bill Kauth

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.