Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
Have not taken thetest, soWoody, that may getyou a passiing grade:lol:

Late Happy Hour, eh Ralph? :lol:

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2014 at 10:28 PM

The flash memories on these are failing. Something about not using a quality chip. The U.S. importer has stopped selling them. They wouldn't honor the warranty.

I'll stick with something i can get fixed.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2014 at 07:34 AM

Yes Dennis....late for me anyhow.....plus fat fingers.

Gulliver...I just bought 4, for friends. Did read though where the Manufacturer is having trouble keeping up with demand. Where did you read about the flash memeroies...mine has been operating fine now for 3 years.
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 2-25-2014 at 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gulliver
The flash memories on these are failing. Something about not using a quality chip. The U.S. importer has stopped selling them. They wouldn't honor the warranty.

Not one mention in two ham forums about ANY problems with these radios or the manufactures warranty. Their has been some b-tching about how difficult they are to program. Some people can find a problem with a free lunch.
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 2-25-2014 at 08:57 AM

I just googled "baofeng uv5r microchip problems" and was unable to find any links to failed chips. I strongly suspect a rumor started by a disgruntled "made in America" miscreant. There well may be one or even a number of bad radios out there but if it truly were a problem google would sus it out.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2014 at 10:15 AM

seems like most of the guys on the ham boards agree although they have their share of problems, for the price, how can you miss!
mcnut
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2014 at 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
Frequencies can be put in individually (frequency mode) or programmed in (channel mode) using something like "Chirp" or the software Baofeng provides.

Ham license is required if you "use " it. I guess just listening is OK. In Mexico it is 500 pesos a year, no test. In the US a test is required.

Somewhat correct as this radio can be programed to operate on many frequencies (see my post above), several ham bands included. A ham license is required to transmit on ham frequencies in the US, the test is not that hard.

The UV-5R is capable of operating on a wide range of frequencies (see my post above), all of which have their own licensing/equipment requirements. Being an FM radio the Baofang UV-5R can not do CB or aircraft both being AM.

Most hams got their start listening without a license before passing the test in order to earn transmit privileges. This type of radio has been both a huge boost and problem for hams. While it has brought new licensed users to what was a declining hobby, it has also brought users who remain unlicensed for the frequencies they are transmitting on and at times show little courtesy.

There has never been a requirement to be licensed to by the equipment, the pricing of this radio just opened the door to a large group of hobbyists.

Bruce

[Edited on 2-25-2014 by mcnut]
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 2-25-2014 at 09:50 PM
Radio license

How does one go about obtaining a "Ham" license in Mexico, and is it reciprocal in the states???

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2014 at 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
How does one go about obtaining a "Ham" license in Mexico, and is it reciprocal in the states???

Probably from SCT.....Secratariat of Communication and Transportation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secretariat_of_Communications_and_Transportation_(Mexico)

[Edited on 2-26-2014 by DENNIS]

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 2-26-2014 at 12:22 AM

They aren't to bad in an "emergency"

Hurricane Sandy disrupts wireless and Internet services

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57542500-94/hurricane-sandy...

Some lost it all .... HAM radio is a decent back for com ...

A listener only ... bought a couple of these and a "base station"

All good hear (sorry for the pun) .... Great reviews on Amazon, all most 5 stars, biggest complaint ... programing and/or instructions

Pretty good walk through for us really slow folks on this stuff

http://www.wp4aoh.blogspot.com/2013/01/uv-5re-photo-1-baofen...

[Edited on 2-26-2014 by wessongroup]

Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2014 at 08:29 AM

http://www.wouxun.us/Good-Bye-Wouxun/Good-Bye-Wouxun.html

Still a hell of a deal but I'd try to see if the seller has any kind of warranty program.

Mike
mcnut
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2014 at 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gulliver
http://www.wouxun.us/Good-Bye-Wouxun/Good-Bye-Wouxun.html

Still a hell of a deal but I'd try to see if the seller has any kind of warranty program.

Mike

Mike, I have to admit I don't get your reposting this again. The subject throughout this thread is the Baofeng radio, specifically the UV-5R. Wouxun is a different manufacturer, a little like calling into question the quality of a Toyota because of problems reported about a Nissan, not really fair do you think?

I tried to make this point in the other thread where you posted the same link, and if that wasn't enough another poster who owns a fleet (50 radios) of both as well as Motorolas (200radios) and reported few problems.

A number of different people import these radios (or you have the option to buy from overseas), both Baofeng and Wouxun so it's not surprising that 1 or 2 have dropped out.

Bruce

[Edited on 2-26-2014 by mcnut]

[Edited on 2-26-2014 by mcnut]
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 2-26-2014 at 02:09 PM

Nice link on the radio, wessongroup.

It pointed out that it is only four watts instead of the typical five watts of a marine radio.

Its certainly worth it as a more powerful FRS radio, although it's illegal to use on those frequencies.
Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2014 at 02:18 PM

Believe it or not, I thought they were the same company. Ignore me!
Mike
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.