Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Fly guys: Good deal on a back-up to your back-up
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2014 at 08:53 AM
Fly guys: Good deal on a back-up to your back-up

Nice Fenwick 5 wt for $50 here.
I have a bunch of 2-peice rods but it seems I always go with 4-peice rods now. Just easier to lug around.
I have some fiberglass Fenwicks from my dad that must be 60 years old - I use them for noodling small streams.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2014 at 11:46 AM

Santiago,

Have you noticed a difference in the action between the 2 piece and the 4 piece? I have a 4 piece and Alex has a 2 piece. I'm continually finding myself scheming to borrow his rod. In fact, I used his in Alaska while he was up on those glaciers.

Igor
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2014 at 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Santiago,

Have you noticed a difference in the action between the 2 piece and the 4 piece? I have a 4 piece and Alex has a 2 piece. I'm continually finding myself scheming to borrow his rod. In fact, I used his in Alaska while he was up on those glaciers.

Igor

Yes, but just a little. I am not a very good caster so my judgement on stuff like this is suspect at best. I would like to try a one-peice sometime if they make such a thing in the lighter wieghts. I know the heavy salt water rods are often one peice.
I remember an article written by Gene Kira after BajaHaHa died where he was going to have a salt-water spinning rod made from a 15-weight one peice. Never saw a report on how it turned out but was intrigued by the concept.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2014 at 04:10 PM

Perhaps it's the rod manufacturer then. The 2 piece is Temple Fork and the 4 piece is Elkhorn.

As you probably know we have casting ponds here in Golden Gate Park. The difference becomes apparent when you try to hit those targets.
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2014 at 04:23 PM

I have a 3 piece 10 wt Elkhorn that I could not put the fly in the water if I was up to my armpits. When no one is looking, I actually troll with it.
DJL
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2014 at 05:02 PM

In my humble opinion ....

Most mid-to-high end Flyrods cast great , depending on the users skill level . the 4-piece rods are currently in favor , but I much prefer the old 3-piece rods because of lifting ability .

That little Fenwick 5 wt. looks sweet (Especially at that price !) . I've yet to meet a Fenwick that I didn't like , though ... I still own 5 of them .

D.~
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2014 at 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Santiago

I have a 3 piece 10 wt Elkhorn that I could not put the fly in the water if I was up to my armpits. When no one is looking, I actually troll with it.

Me too. :lol::lol::lol:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.