BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: rod tubes for car roof racks?
tyguypb
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2014 at 10:08 AM
rod tubes for car roof racks?

Has anyone made rod tubes for their roof racks to more easily store rods? i've seen some around and was looking to create such a thing for my subaru to make the long baja road trips a little more comfy for my passengers.

Has anyone made/used these before? are they easy to safely secure? are they safe enough for some of those more delicate inshore rods? Can they be locked so you can keep rods in the tubes without worrying about the possibility of theft?

They seem like a nifty and convenient little contraption.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 2-4-2014 at 10:17 AM
PVC pipe

go to any good hardware store and get 4 inc PVC and cut to the lenth you need and buy two end caps...easy smeasy
chavycha
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2014 at 10:27 AM

PVC perforated drain pipe, either 3" or 4", depending on how high your rod guides are.

Not secure, but functional. You could probably clobber together some sort of locking mechanism. Though anyone with a hacksaw can get through it since after all, it's just plain PVC.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 2-4-2014 at 10:49 AM
HUH??

Why would you use perf pipe ???:?: shc 40 pvc works great
jimgrms
Senior Nomad

Mood: its always good

[*] posted on 2-4-2014 at 11:04 AM

With pvc you can get a cap for one end and a threader coupling and plug and cobble a way to lock it, they also sell rod tubes that will work and can be locked , the problem is your rod length
jimgrms
Senior Nomad

Mood: its always good

[*] posted on 2-4-2014 at 11:13 AM

E bay conduit carrier kit
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 2-4-2014 at 11:34 AM

Same here, been using these since forever. Any Lowes or Home Depot will have the right PVC pipe and ends. For a roof top carrier, there are lots of types available that you can customize.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 2-4-2014 at 11:50 AM

Had a friend come downlast year with PVC tubes on his roof rack...Worked perfectly except when we opened them in Mulege they were empty! Imagine!

chavycha
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2014 at 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
Why would you use perf pipe ???:?: shc 40 pvc works great

Ventilated so your stuff doesn't mold! Plus you can grab it and easily tie it on your kayak, to your boat, wherever.
chavycha
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2014 at 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
Had a friend come downlast year with PVC tubes on his roof rack...Worked perfectly except when we opened them in Mulege they were empty! Imagine!

Yeah. I always carry mine inside the car for that reason. It might be a little bulky and in the way, but sure beats the alternative.
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 2-4-2014 at 12:40 PM

I use 6" pcv. One end glued tight the other is a slip with a hasp on both sides with a cable lock through the hasps and locked with a padlock. The tube is attached to the rack with Pipe clamps. The clamps have a sleeve of climbing webbing around them so they don't mar the rack. All the roads have a fabric covers. I usually wrap the road in a towel to keep them tight in the tube. I have not lost anything yet and the rods come into the room at night if I overnight at a hotel.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-4-2014 at 12:49 PM

if you have a ski rack, they hold rods well, and most ski racks have locks

i prefer 3 or 4 piece rods that are short enough to slip in tube and carry inside car
sd
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2014 at 06:42 PM

Do not leave on top of car when you leave car. If you are staying at motels take them inside (along with other things). Customs is enforcing the 4 rod maximum per person when flying.
Locks on racks do not work if someone wants your stuff.

Have fun!
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2014 at 06:49 PM

Customs is enforcing the 4 rod maximum per person when flying

now what the heck is up with that?
:?:
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2014 at 06:55 PM

I made something like this for out Rover. Worked great.....but ALWAYS take your rods into the motel room!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=244873

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
sd
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2014 at 07:10 PM

Willardguy - I had 6 rods. Customs showed me the standard form that says 4 rods maximum, and verbally said 4 reels maximum per person. First time I was ever was questioned (lots of trips). Took me in a private room, asked me the value. I stated $50 each. Then he added $50 each for value for 2 addition reels. So $200 value over allowed and I was charged $60 US if I remember correctly. Now I try to leave my rods in Baja with friends. Others have had the same issue.

I made sure he understood they were for pleasure fishing, not for resale. He still charged me, and provided a receipt.
tyguypb
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2014 at 08:01 PM

Tons of info and food for thought. Thanks for all the responses! yea will always take rods in at night with me or lock them in car while camping. but thanks again for all the info!!!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.