BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Take 2 untested bikes, 2 pilots, one with dirt bike experience, a GPS, a map of Baja.....
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 3-14-2014 at 05:06 PM
Take 2 untested bikes, 2 pilots, one with dirt bike experience, a GPS, a map of Baja.....

This is a five part series featuring two airline pilots on one-way dirt bikes and their failure to get them both past San Ignacio. A very interesting way to spend a windy afternoon cooped-up in Baja.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZOG_G2CYjc&list=UUYSjRr2...

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 3-15-2014 at 10:15 AM

Ah, yes.....a first newbie Baja ride....poorly prepared, steep learning curve, and lotsa stories.....:biggrin::cool:

Don't believe everything you think....
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-15-2014 at 11:23 AM

Thanks for that link Perry... Just watched Episode 1... Hungry for fish tacos now!

The only historical correction is that the new paved road to Gonzaga, from Puertecitos was begun 7 years ago (not 2).

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 3-15-2014 at 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
Ah, yes.....a first newbie Baja ride....poorly prepared, steep learning curve, and lotsa stories.....:biggrin::cool:

Despite all that I think they had a good time and their unplanned stay in San Ignacio gave them a lot more insight into Mexico than if it had not happened. Incredible luck that they were able to get parts there. As soon as "running out of oil" was mentioned I had a mental image of damaged cams and followers.

Too bad they passed up Francisquito since I agree with you that it is one of Baja's gems. While I have not stayed at Rancho Piedra Blanca we stopped there last year and really liked it.

I think one of the biggest problems for most dual sport types is simply carrying too much stuff. That KTM that took 3 guys to lift it back up is an example. While my KLR is no lightweight I have reduced what I carry to a minimum. Its a little difficult for me since I ride from home so carry a few tools and tire repair stuff with me. I no longer carry camping gear but just a sleeping bag for emergency use. I use soft saddlebags and have found that I can get by with far fewer clothes than I thought I could in the past. I see the large BMW's with huge metal luggage boxes and a hundred #'s of gear strapped on and see a recipe for disaster.

I'm now considering following your model and getting a lighter bike and a small pickup to haul it. I'm 70 now and want to keep riding in Baja and lighter bikes are looking a lot more attractive. I have been watching for a good DR350es but they are hard to find. I suspect a DR400s would work well for me, also there are Honda 400's around but kick starting is hard for me because of a little knee damage.

I look forward to crossing paths with you in Baja one of these years.
KasloKid
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2014 at 11:07 PM

Surely reminds me of my first Baja trip, struggling with the sand and being completely exhausted from paddling with my feet. It didn't help that I was grossly overloaded with crap. I think I was prepared for any and all disasters!! I was on a KLR 650.

Nowadays, I have a set of Giant Loop MoJavi Saddlebags for the heavy stuff (tools, spare tube and a few spare parts) and a backpack for my clothes, hydration pack, food for two meals and toiletries. A compact sized sleeping bag and a 6 x 8 tarp is strapped on behind the saddlebags. Oh yeah, I bought a ktm 530......... 250 lbs dry compared to 430 lbs dry. Sure a lot easier to get speed up to float through the sand!!! I'm getting awfully close to 65, and the ktm is a lot easier to pick up than the klr.

[Edited on 3-16-2014 by KasloKid]
Floatflyer
Nomad

Mood: Wet & Cold

[*] posted on 3-16-2014 at 06:44 AM

I generally do not read any of the off road posts but for some reason watched the first episode. I thought that Sam did a very good job of portraying his trip and his narrative was entertaining. I next watched episode #2 and will probably watch the rest of them.

One thing that hasn't changed is my lack of desire to experience this. It makes backpacking look like a Sandals Resort vacation!!! What ever floats your boat.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2014 at 08:49 AM

Diggin this. Just watched episode 1. So many problems in the first 8 minutes.

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 3-16-2014 at 12:15 PM

I just finished watching all 5 video episodes.

A good story, for sure:saint:

The blessing in disguise was the layover in San Ignacio.

Too many riders "rip to the tip" and really miss Baja in doing so.

My first ride was on a BMW R80G/S in '94....then on a R1100 GS a few times on that route (and further south)....and after those Big Pig rides, decided to get a dirt bike in 2000....cuz the big bikes are just the wrong tool for the job...:O

The Calamuje on an 1100 with hard bags is a masochist's dream ride.

Kurt....go for the Suzi 400....you deserve the magic button :saint:

These guys have a story that is really about the kindness and resourcefulness of Baja locals....the heart of Baja, for sure.

A good video log of a street riders first foray into Baja....they will be back....:cool:

Don't believe everything you think....
Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 3-17-2014 at 03:43 PM

Quote:

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism." Bill Kauth

I'm a fortunate son.....I was introduced to Baja by a Mil team and a retired aerospace engineer whose advice was to "stay paranoid" for my recent ride.

The Rip to the Tip is just one aspect of missing the good stuff. I really have an issue with the run back to the stables. If there's even just one day left to spend on the beaches or with some locals, I say.......Stay the course......I just might pass this way again......or maybe not....

My 2 week ride report is in slow progress and I'll get some portion up here eventually, meanwhile, the neurosurgeon thinks I'll be his again......so, again, thanks for that quoted attitude....b-tches......

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2014 at 03:57 PM

JMHO, but I vote for WFO. if you want to sightsee come back another time in a car with an icechest and some fishin poles in the back!:lol:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.