Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Living in Playas de TJ
fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 3-21-2014 at 11:43 AM

Felicidades a los dos and thanks for the good report.

A well informed Baja California traveler is a smart Baja California traveler!
phoenix2121
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2014 at 01:24 PM

Looks like quite the life. Can't wait to make the trip in May.

I'd love to meet you and your novia once we get down. Assuming you don't mind hanging out with an 11-year-old and his dad, who might be 20 years older, but still questions whether he's in charge. :biggrin:

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn\'t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
SlyOnce
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2014 at 07:52 AM

Phoenix, we would love to meet you, and any other nomads who are passing through Playas. I am trying to make our patio a place where exotic people have interesting conversations and fantastic meals.
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 5-12-2014 at 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
I forgot to mention in my earlier post...

I had no idea Playas had a malecón. Really a nice one.

When they were building the new bull ring there was a paved road where the Malecon is now and every Sunday they had drag races there. A bunch of us used to drive down from SD to race and when you paid your entry fee they always gave you a free shot of tequila. Kinda made the drags more "interesting".:tumble:

Bob Durrell
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2014 at 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
Quote:
Originally posted by Udo

When they were building the new bull ring there was a paved road where the Malecon is now and every Sunday they had drag races there. A bunch of us used to drive down from SD to race and when you paid your entry fee they always gave you a free shot of tequila. Kinda made the drags more "interesting".:tumble:
hey bob here's a drag race down memory lane!

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 5-12-2014 at 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
Quote:
Originally posted by Udo

hey bob here's a drag race down memory lane!

Yep, dats da place. Can still taste the tequila. Where you a contestant there? I was driving my 57 ford with the 312 / 2 4brl police interceptor engine.

Bob Durrell
churro
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2014 at 07:23 PM

Thanks for the post... Looks like you have a happy life and great future ahead of you
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 5-12-2014 at 08:59 PM

Good to hear great things are happening for you and your significant other in TJ. Its a great city with lots of nice people.

SlyOnce
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2014 at 07:47 AM

Playas to Rosarito has the best of everything - good climate, peaceful neighborhoods (knock on wood), relative cheap living on the beach, decent police, local government that actually fixes potholes, good food, there are everything from local stores to Walmart, Home Depot, great culture and local art and entertainment. Homemade tamales to Carls Jr. People are friendly. There is always something going on in Playas - last weekend was an art festival with live music - we loved the flamenco dance/guitar group.

My novia has her US BCC (Border Crossing Card) now and so we can cross to San Diego anytime. She also got her I-94 Permit (US tourist visa) and so we can travel anywhere in the US.

By the way, I met her on online dating, and I found a jewel. We are having our 1 year anniversary this month. She's college educated, bilingual, works for the Baja government, and we are compatible on every level. We both have things to give freely that the other needs.

In my opinion, gringos are returning to northern Baja, the great narco war scare and fear of MX seems to be diminishing.
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2014 at 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SlyOnce

In my opinion, gringos are returning to northern Baja, the great narco war scare and fear of MX seems to be diminishing.

I'm the only one in my group of friends that never changed
my Baja travel over the last few yrs. Some aquaintances, folks who spend $,
long time Baja border travellers, recently made their first trip
to Rosarito in 5 yrs. The fear factor is one that appears to
have lessened considerably. I was curious as to the # of
US citizens with Passports, there are a few numbers, CNN
has as of of 2011, 30% of the 308 mil. in the US have passports. Most US gringos believe, without a doubt, one needs a Passport to travel to Baja, we all know that is not enforced,
but average Gringo Tourist doesn't know that. Some other
factors, the percieved Police extorcion, the need for separate Mex
Auto Ins, and the 3-4 hr. wait on a weekend to get back,
those are hurdles that keep the number of casual tourists away

[Edited on 5-13-2014 by sancho]
SlyOnce
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2014 at 07:36 AM

Update - weekend vignette

Saturday was the 1 year anniversary of our first date.

Friday night coming home from work I stopped and bought one of those 10 x 10 foot canopies like you would take to the beach. We set it up on the patio covering our barbeque area, garden, and part of the lawn. We moved tables and chairs to the lawn where we could sit and read with a cool drink, and watch the sea.

Saturday we were up late, we went to the beach and had breakfast at a new place. We used to love Senior Waffle (now sadly closed) and we love Casa del Mole, but we tried a new place. I had strawberry pancakes and bacon with coffee for 75 pesos. My novia had a big MX platter.

We went to the market and I bought her a new book, then we returned to the apartment and enjoyed the shady patio. In the late afternoon we drove to CECUT (cultural center in TJ) where they were having a book fair, and there was live music and food stalls, too. We enjoyed that, then we watched a contemporary dance performance in the theater. It was quite sophisticated. Later, we walked to Plaza Rio mall and had dinner at Sanborn's - in the exact same table as our first date 1 year ago.

On Sunday we were up late. We had a nice breakfast on the patio. We did some more reading. We had planned to cross to San Diego but it was getting late and we were so comfortable. So we went to Walmart and bought fish and shrimp and came home and made a feast of fish and shrimp tacos, beans, home made salsa, and tortillas. We had coffee and cheese cake on the patio to watch the sunset.

It was getting cold so we went in and watched a movie.

Only 3 more years to retirement and this will be our life every day!

Oh and she is finally starting to realize that when I retire, she does, too.
Garcam

[*] posted on 6-9-2014 at 11:50 AM

Hello Sly,
I'll be there in a few days and will look you guys up!

Looking forward to being there!

Regards,
Gary
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2014 at 10:44 AM

Walking across at TJ, anyone know an alternative way to
get to Playas TJ, besides just a reg Taxi? I've heard of
route/collective taxis, am familiar with the TJ City busess.
Thinking of going down for a Sat. lunch
thanks for your time
gracias Sly

[Edited on 6-11-2014 by sancho]
SlyOnce
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 02:44 PM

Sancho, there are ruta (collectivo) taxis, I will ask my novia what corner they are on. Of course, you catch them in Centro. They are yellow and say Playas on the windshield. Cost $MX 12 pesos one way.
sargentodiaz
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2014 at 11:40 AM

I rented an apartment once there and it was definitely a great place to be.

Very good police presence and no crime.

Father Serra\'s Legacy @ http://msgdaleday.blogspot.com a History of California and the Franciscan missions.
rayfornario
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2014 at 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by sancho
Quote:
Originally posted by SlyOnce

I'm the only one in my group of friends that never changed
my Baja travel over the last few yrs. Some aquaintances, folks who spend $,
long time Baja border travellers, recently made their first trip
to Rosarito in 5 yrs. The fear factor is one that appears to
have lessened considerably. I was curious as to the # of
US citizens with Passports, there are a few numbers, CNN
has as of of 2011, 30% of the 308 mil. in the US have passports. Most US gringos believe, without a doubt, one needs a Passport to travel to Baja, we all know that is not enforced,
but average Gringo Tourist doesn't know that. Some other
factors, the percieved Police extorcion, the need for separate Mex
Auto Ins, and the 3-4 hr. wait on a weekend to get back,
those are hurdles that keep the number of casual tourists away

[Edited on 5-13-2014 by sancho]
rayfornario
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2014 at 10:57 AM

My reply did not post...Despite what US insurance companies say, always have Mexican Auto Insurance. I have an 80 year old friend who,after an accident spent 2 days in jail because he never bothered to get insurance. :bounce:

Even a bad day in Baja is better then a good day somewhere else!
bajacalifornian
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2014 at 11:48 AM

I enjoy watching the old cars cruise the malecon from my son's balcony. Sundays.

American by birth, Mexican by choice.

Signature addendum: Danish physicist — Niels Bohr — who said, “The opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth.
Jeff Petersen
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.