Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Boat fuel ? for full timers
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2014 at 05:01 PM
Boat fuel ? for full timers

Russ' thread on downsizing boats/motors due to dwindling fish stocks and the cost in fuel to chase them really struck a chord with me as this is something I've been mulling over.

I'm in my early 60s, still working and only get to fish Baja 2 or 3 times each year for no more than 4 or 5 days per trip. I could care less what I spend in fuel, I am going to tear all over the place. If the bite is happening 35 miles away on the south end of the big island - we go.

I've made a casual observation that the longer a person has been retired, the less likely they will be on the point or reef that is 30-40 miles away in their 25' Stripper with twin 115s. The first 5 years they are slamming it pretty hard but slowly, slowly not so much, not so far. Some of this can be chalked up to fading fish-libido but I'm guessing resource management is a larger reason.

I inherited my dad's 15' Gregor and mostly out of sentiment I've kept it at $50/month storage fee for 15 years, only using it a few times each year but now I'm glad I have it. (SWMBO does the math each 6 months when the storage fee is due and points out the costs so y'all needn't).

For those of you who are in Baja for months at a time, do you find yourself fishing less and/or staying local? If so, is it because of fewer fish, growing fuel costs or both? If you really 'need' to be on the water 2 o r 3 times a week, how do you manage the costs?
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-29-2014 at 05:23 PM

I have simply begun to defray my fuel costs among the riders. I used to simply let them fish for free. Cant afford that anymore.

I enjoy the comraderie of fishing with other guys. I dont think I'd enjoy fishing solo in a 15 foot or under boat.

Plus, living in the SoC, it's nice to have a boat that you can overnight (or more) on 2-3 times a year. That was really important to me as I considered retirement. My boat is a 25 foot flybridge, so it's the bare minimum for the missus and me. But it has a galley, hot shower, head, dinette and you can get out of the elements. And it has a range of around 250 miles, so there isnt anywhere in the Sea I cant go.......that I want to go. Not really interested in anywhere north of BOLA as a cruising ground.

Cruising is fun............fishing along the way, of course.
Lengua
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2014 at 05:41 PM

When I've been in Baja for a month or more at a time I font feel the pressure of having to go fishing everyday or most of the time when I'm there for a week to ten days. I can see how full timers can be more selective and go fishing when the bite is on versus mediocre.

Full timers can rely on the current report and preserve there resources and pick there days when the fishing is hot. Others have to go when there vacation is scheduled , airfare paid and accommodations booked.

Getting friends to help offset fuel cost can help and as long as you all get along it can be fun.

Most full timers don't catch more than the freezer will hold or they can eat. Being in BCS full time allows you to get to know the locals , make friends and now and then one of them will call you and share the fish report with you or a few filets.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2014 at 06:50 AM

All good points. I do miss being able to walk around a bit and get out to a hot bite that would not be sane to try for in a tin boat.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 11-30-2014 at 07:10 AM

Santiago, I agree the shorter the Baja trip, the more the need to be on the water. When I'm in Baja for 6 months, I don't give a whit if the bite is on but if it's less than 50 degrees in the morning, these old creeky bones go back to bed.... just not fun any more.

I run a 14' Achilles inflatable, and will venture out about 10 miles, but I'm also watching at least 3 different weather sites now before I do, and I keep a very close eye on the horizon, especially the northern one. Even in small chop the bouncing is just too much on tired bones, however I'm totally satisfied with a Trigger or a few pound-plus Sand Bass for my b-fast or dinner.

"The time a person spends fishing should not be deducted from their life"..... anonymous. :coolup:

[Edited on 11-30-2014 by bajabuddha]

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

chippy
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 11-30-2014 at 07:16 AM

I think alot of it has to do with knowing the local waters. When I retired down here in "98" I fished alot for the first couple of years. Now after learning whats happening and when, I fish when the fish are here. Getting a 4 stroke helped ease the pain at the pump.
Genecag
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2014 at 09:34 AM

The last few years, I have wondered why my need to fish has diminished....I remember the days when we would hit the waters the very next day after arriving in LAP and everything revolved around fishing. On bad days, I always reminded the Wife, 'it's fishing honey and not catching fish', on some bad days.

Santiago's points are interesting, higher fuel costs, I am semi-retired, spend more time in Baja and all reduced my urge to fish.

Also in my family group, I have kinda become the grumpy one. I am the captain of our boat and insisting that the kids wear life preservers and not run, and be careful and stop and listen the the safety protocols have wore me out. It's no fun being the Cop on the waters....

I have been enjoying more to rent a panga next to the area the fish are biting. Also, looking forward to a month voyage around Cortez soon.

Make it a Great Day!!
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2014 at 01:01 PM

I have a 12 duroboat and a 20 foot Blackman. I fish in the small boat a lot because it is so easy to put in and take out alone. If I only want to stay out for an hour or two, no big deal. I pull it with the quad. The bigger boat takes some planning ahead, the truck, and help.
ligui
Senior Nomad

Mood: love Baja !

[*] posted on 12-1-2014 at 02:46 PM

What do you think about a 17 ft center console with a 70 hp . Gets the miles and still pretty good on gas . Just me and the wife . Range from as far out as 30 , mostly out to island diving, fishing , timeout . 10 miles
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2014 at 04:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ligui  
What do you think about a 17 ft center console with a 70 hp . Gets the miles and still pretty good on gas . Just me and the wife . Range from as far out as 30 , mostly out to island diving, fishing , timeout . 10 miles

Sounds good to me. I have been thinking that a 18 foot whaler, or something similar could replace both my boats for the way I fish these days.
freediverbrian
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2014 at 08:49 PM

I dream of the day when I retire and can pick just the best days to fish. Now I go out when the fishing is not good and the weather is not great,just because I only have a limited time.
Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2014 at 09:37 AM

Hola vecino. I find myself enjoying my little 12' gregor a lot nowadays. Mostly it's the simplicity of launching it whenever I want regardless of the tide at our ramp. And I burn less than 1 gallon a day. The cost of fuel is an issue for me on extended trips since I can go through 20 gallons a day with the Bayrunner and you do that every day for two weeks and that's a lot of gas. But even more it's the fact I have to drive into town, load all that gas in containers, and drive back without slopping it in my truck. Then offload the fuel into the boat. It's a lot of work. I look forward to putting a new four-stroke on my boat and halving that fuel burn. I want a 15' gregor with a 25 four stroke. That sounds ideal for putting around for the local bite. If I were retired down there I would definitely want to minimize my fuel use for the reasons I stated. Although it may be different if I could easily tow the boat to the Pemex. And, of course, it depends on the thickness of one's wallet. To make the fuel transport easier I've recently acquired two 15-gallon cans and one 50 gallon. So now my concern will be the huge fireball behind me if it all goes up in smoke!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.