BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Dorado from beach in Todos....
Tod
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2015 at 08:49 AM

Terribly expensive. I have a handful purchased years ago. I have gone swimming several times over the years to retrieve them. Jensen's makes a similar one bit not sure hoe it casts. Super strike lures makes a larger model for same$. I think SP minnow has similar action. Maybe use standby Crocidile lure fished slow. I have fallen for that again.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-10-2015 at 08:51 AM

Great job with Photobucket baitcast! Thanks for trying and sharing the photos.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

hombre66
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2015 at 10:01 AM

Thanks Tod. When in doubt, whup out the Croc's. Tempting though, to purchase at least 1 Mag Darter. My gut tells me that this one really will hook more fish than fisherman. Gonna re tie and check for abrasion on a religious basis.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2015 at 10:10 AM

The chance of losing lures when fishing over a soft bottom is really quite small, especially if you're catching nothing but surf fish.

Here are some fish which have cut me off when fishing from shore, though: needlefish, ladyfish, sierra.
Tod
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2015 at 02:01 PM

I use 14lb test line so it happens if I get lazy and don't check for frayed line. Higher test would make it safer. Friends of mine use 25~30. I always use wire leader due to
Sierra, pargo, needlefish.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 1-11-2015 at 08:38 AM

Shoreline fishing is great fun. I fish a lot from a boat, but I often just run onto some beach to beachcomb and look for something fishy...like a rocky point, outcroppings, or underwater rockpiles. I like to experiment ... and this day I had some success with a shoreline outfit I use for pike and walleye Up North. I used a fast 5:1 baitcast reel, light action rod, 14 lb test line...and a 1 oz. white marabou jig. Seems like I could cast that heavy jig a mile! This beach was near Pta. Teresa about 15 mile south of Pt. Conception near Mulege. FUN TIMES! while you dig your toes in the sand.

This was Co-Pilot & me at Lake Sakakawea in western ND.

[Edited on 1-12-2015 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 1-11-2015 at 12:42 PM

Once upon a time by the Whistler!

Beach fishing was like this.

[Edited on 1-11-2015 by baitcast]

Anyone can catch fish in a boat but only \"El Pescador Grande\" can get them from the beach.

I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.
Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2015 at 05:09 PM

Very nice, well done!
hombre66
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2015 at 11:36 PM

Great pics and advice from all. Checked my Baja tackle box today, pre trip, for the first time in a couple of years. (Where'd all my crocs and candy bars go?) Expecting a little sticker shock at the Cabelas checkout line.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-12-2015 at 10:04 AM

Beach/ surf fishing was one of the big draws to Baja for my parents... When we discovered that the same corbina we caught in Del Mar/ San Diego also lived near San Felipe... Nuevo Mazatlan (Agua de Chale) became a destination fish camp... We would drive the Jeep just over a mile north on the beach from there to a big, sandy bay (we called it 'the lagoon' as it emptied at low tide) and fished on the point creating the bay. In a few years, the bay would become a vacation home campo with the name 'Bahia Santa Maria'.

1966-1968:

My mother with a typical double hookup of corbina. We brought mussel collected from the docks in Mission Bay for bait, and the corbina went crazy for it.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2015 at 08:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  
Quote: Originally posted by Tod  
Yes, fished really slowly. It can be retrieved a few inched below surface at a slow pace. Rabalo like them as well.

Last year, at The Wall I caught a bunch of halibut with the mag darter, same technique. I could see them follow it and then smack it. Waves were really small which helped as I waded out.

Interesting. Most fisherman think that corbina will only take bait from the bottom but I've caught them with Kastmasters in the past. That was many years ago and haven't duplicated that feat ever again. Halibut commonly take Krocs and kastmasters so I'm not surprised about that.

I met a fisherman a few years ago who told me that the yellowtail were crashing the surf so close that he ran in and kicked one up on the beach.

I had a similar experience with yellows crashing on the beach before as well...I was standing in the water in about 6"-8" of water and I had big yellows chasing bait right at my feet! I look back at that and it would have been fun to try to catch one by hand! Instead, I just did an underhand lob of a cast all of about 15' and hooked up instantly....almost spooled me!

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 1-28-2015 at 09:14 AM

Anyone ever try a cedar plug for surf fishing Dorado?

Bob Durrell
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 1-28-2015 at 10:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by durrelllrobert  

Interesting idea. For myself, I've never tried one...but I think the effort to give the plug enough action to entice a strike would wear me out quickly and I'd end up sitting on a chair and drinking cold Pacificos....which happens anyway.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2015 at 03:03 PM

I have one I shortened the leader on and use to throw it a few times almost every time out off the "Flat Rocks" at San Marcos Tierra. Never had a strike.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
churro
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2015 at 07:12 PM

WOW! Nice fish!!!
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 1-29-2015 at 09:31 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Pompano  
Quote: Originally posted by durrelllrobert  

Interesting idea. For myself, I've never tried one...but I think the effort to give the plug enough action to entice a strike would wear me out quickly and I'd end up sitting on a chair and drinking cold Pacificos....which happens anyway.
My friend Roger has caught several surf fishing with a cedar plug but no pictures. He cought this 50 pounder trolling with a cedar plug though.

Bob Durrell
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.