Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: First Look 2016 Tacoma 4X4 OFF ROAD TRD
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2015 at 08:05 PM

While most people move on as the industry has changed in the last 10 years, some will always be mired in sand....so to speak. Most informed people say "shop around" ....it is a rapidly changing world. I switched last year after doing so.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-13-2015 at 10:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
for the 2nd year in a row toyota lead the pack of recalled cars and trucks with a whopping 5.3 million recalls. how can that be?

When you sell the most, and are safety concerned for your customers, better to recall than let people die when you know there is a problem! Let's examine an American car brand and what they did (or didn't recall):

from Internet:
On February 7, 2014, General Motors (GM) recalled about 800,000 of its small cars due to faulty ignition switches, which could shut off the engine during driving and thereby prevent the airbags from inflating.[1] The company continued to recall more of its cars over the next several months. As of June 30, 2014, GM has issued 45 recalls in 2014, which have involved nearly 28 million cars worldwide and over 24.6 million in the United States. GM says it expects to charge $1.2 billion against its second quarter earnings as a result of its ongoing recalls, and the charge could get worse as lawsuits and investigations continue.[2]

The fault had been known to GM for at least a decade prior to the recall being declared.[3] Some have suggested that the company actually approved the switches in 2002 even though they knew they might not meet safety standards.[4]

The company is facing multiple investigations into why it did not attempt to fix these faulty ignitions sooner, including a federal criminal probe,[5] as well as a probe led by Anton Valukas, the latter of which produced a report which GM made public on June 5, 2014.[6] On March 31, 2014, GM's CEO, Mary Barra, met with the families of some of the people who had died in car crashes as a result of the faulty switches.[7] Barra testified at a House Subcommittee hearing on April 1; in her testimony, filed in advance of the hearing, she told the United States House Energy Subcommittee on Oversight and Investigations that "When we have answers, we will be fully transparent with you, with our regulators and with our customers."[7]

Because it will be brought up:
When people died from double floor mats in a (Lexus) loaner car, under the accelerator, it led to a huge recall after exhaustive tests that proved in the end there was no defect that cause unexpected acceleration despite the phony stories from people expecting a free ride. My truck was purchased soon after that incident in 2009... and they had recalled it to shorten the size of the accelerator pedal... I declined (I will never put two floor mats under it). My truck has been stellar so far in its 70,000+ miles with me.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2015 at 11:02 PM

how bout you give us a little more than "from internet" as a source david?

and rather than examine an american car brand, why don't we concern ourselves with toyota's? I thought you were saying anything else should be a new thread. didn't you?:?:

[Edited on 1-14-2015 by willardguy]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2015 at 11:15 PM

Since you asked, that was from Wikipedia when I typed in 'recall after deaths'... and it gave me that great GM feeling!

Here is from another forum (TacomaWorld) when someone was asked about their new Ford truck:

How is that Ford Working For you?

2014 Ford FX4 F-150 V-6 Ecoboost 4x4 ...

It's my daily work truck. Creature comforts are great at the FX4 trim level that's really the only big + is interior bang for buck. However and I have nothing to gain or lose by telling you this, again remember 70%+ of this trucks life thus far is in fact (off-road) I have approx 15,000 miles on it as of now. Asthetically outside I think it is a good looking truck truthfully.

1.) I have the 5.5 foot bed, the ride highway is great, off road it rides like a lumber wagon no joke. Looking into fox replacement suspension to give my chiropractor a break from visits.

2.) Best MPG I have seen and it is obviously well past break in is 17mpg tops.

3.) Dash molds are better now but first 10,000 I thought a parakeet was living in my dash, literally everything squeaks and I think most of the contacts have rubbed out by now.

4.) It's due to go in shop within next few weeks as the front end ball joints are almost shot already. That or there are other culprits as it has become very loose.

5.) I had the front plastic crap under-pan come off 5 times until I threw it away after it got balled up by turbo nearly intoxicating me from plastic bomb burn smell etc... Replaced with aftermarket skid plates that cost me a grand...

6.) The box seems to be seperating at the front weld joints on drivers side, now has seperated approx 5-6" back.

That's where it is at now, it has to last 75K miles but I don't see it happening not without some major money thrown at it based on what I have seen so far. For a city truck I think they would be great, as an off road truck I am truthfully not that impressed as it has shown great wear and durability issues already.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2015 at 11:21 PM

:O why would you type in "recall after deaths"? and WHY would you paste something from tacomaworld about fords????

didn't you say conversation about any other manufacturer be on ANOTHER thread?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2015 at 11:27 PM

Not everyone owns just one car, and I don't read Ford forums.
Can you guys stay on topic?
If you could, then I wouldn't need to entertain you with followups to the non-Tacoma replies, right?
Anyway, the Ford owner's experience is just one more reason Toyota (or other quality companies with quality minded workers) has little to fear.

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2015 at 11:28 PM

these are simple straight forward questions david, yes?
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2015 at 11:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Yes, that is beautiful... but not a Toyota nor a mid size truck... so it deserves its own thread.

we are staying on topic david, seems you are the one veering?
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2015 at 11:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
:O why would you type in "recall after deaths"? and WHY would you paste something from tacomaworld about fords????

didn't you say conversation about any other manufacturer be on ANOTHER thread?

david?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2015 at 11:37 PM

sorry, can't hear... beiber is cranked up too loud!

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 1-14-2015 at 06:51 AM

Well, as long as you're trashing GM and Ford---my 2009 Tacoma, before 60,000 miles, lost the AC, ABS brake system completely failed, radio stopped working, and the steering column made a death rattle noise during and for days after driving over washboard. Extended warranty covered all but they wouldn't fix the steering column even though a technical bulletin was issued covering it. Oh yah, and there was another annoying rattle in the cab that they wouldn't fix too. Then the coup de gras, while driving out to CA last summer the engine completely seized up (at 68,000 miles)---took Toyota two months before they said they would cover the repair (an oil tube broke and drained the oil out of the engine----no sensors went off until about 30 seconds before melt-down). Ahhh, legendary Toyota quality. Traded the Toyota in as soon as I got it back. My Chevy Silverado on the other hand went for 205,000 miles with very few problems---and that's a Baja truck AND work truck that was used daily to haul.

[Edited on 1-14-2015 by Mexitron]
aguachico
Senior Nomad

Mood: logic cannot get thru to the illogical

[*] posted on 1-14-2015 at 07:25 AM

Toyota's forward thinking has helped all truck makers over the past 10 years.

Remember when Toyota dropped that punny tundra design - SR5? That design seemed to become the new Tacoma design, then Toyota released a better $$$$ costlier 1/2 ton pickup. F'n Tundra comes in at $50-60K and now all the other truck makers can put out a costlier better truck and people are buying the damn things.

Dodge Rebel, Ford Raptor IMO owe a lot to Toyota for raising the $$$$ bar on the 1/2 ton pickup. Now people are buying mini trucks for $30-35k.

I also see many more Nissan Frontiers in Baja then Tacomas as Tacomas are more a gringolandia truck. Nissan both the Altima/Sentra and the Frontier are more affordable with the necessary features. Comfort, AC, auto-tranny.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2015 at 11:41 AM

A Tacoma with selectable lockers F/R should be quite a relief from any of the comparable full size offerings for price and physical size. For sure Toyota offers all the comfort items. Not sure the springs would be stiff enough for me?
Has the HP and economy improved significantly. No small turbo yet?
PW
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2015 at 12:05 PM

I shopped around last year and found the Tacoma trd's price comparable to Ram Bighorn and Ford xlt full size 4x4 trucks. Did not check GM.
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 1-14-2015 at 12:33 PM
tacoma

I Have lived in Ensenada for over 12 years. I see a lot of Tacoma's here but by comparison I see a whole lot more Lobos
Ensenada is a town of 500K plus I would think that would be a pretty good population comparison for the rest of Baja North.
Maybe the reason might be Tacoma is made here but made for Export as the majority of products made in the maquiladora factories.
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 1-29-2015 at 11:51 AM
American Iron

Bob Durrell
movinguy
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2015 at 03:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by J.P.  
I Have lived in Ensenada for over 12 years. I see a lot of Tacoma's here but by comparison I see a whole lot more Lobos
Ensenada is a town of 500K plus I would think that would be a pretty good population comparison for the rest of Baja North.
Maybe the reason might be Tacoma is made here but made for Export as the majority of products made in the maquiladora factories.

Toyota does not have a strong presence (dealer-wise) in Baja or northern Mexico. They have not made it a priority, but that may change soon.

Footnote: I work at the plant in Tecate :yes:
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.