BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: First time crossing with SENTRI: or, dazed and confused in Tijuana
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 1-27-2015 at 08:35 PM
First time crossing with SENTRI: or, dazed and confused in Tijuana

Last night I crossed at the downtown Tijuana SENTRI lane using my card for the first time since it was issued last summer. Technically it was renewed, but it has been several years between expiration and requesting a new card.

I had spent five days SOB, and was driving my truck w/a tall shell full of camping equipment, food etc. I had cleared out all fruits and vegetables, finished the open bottle of wine the night before, and was prepared to report "nothing to declare" with confidence.

(Except for the dog food? I had some extra left over-was that allowed?)

As it turned out the most difficult part of the crossing was finding the SENTRI lanes. And avoiding the windshield washer crews. They were determined to clean the bugs off the front of my truck and I had to take a evasive action a few times. They would not take my wagging finger as no for an answer!

I knew it would be a challenge to find the border approach. I had last used SENTRI lanes several years ago so I had a rough idea of where they were, but evening rush-hour in downtown Tijuana was insane. Add to that I was driving a truck with a camper shell so my visibility and maneuverability was not ideal. And it was dark. And I realized after the first wrong turn I had no idea where to go.

It's times like this I really appreciate the Tijuana roundabouts. They're not for the faint of heart but they actually work really well once you get the hang of them. If you miss a turn just stay in the circle, wait for the lights to change, and try again.

I did this a few times and got pretty good at it. And I kept seeing the SENTRI sign like a white rabbit disappearing down a hole when I got close to it. I would see the sign and try to go in that direction and then hit a traffic circle. Then I would lose my direction in the circle and have to go around and try again... Infuriating!

A couple of times I got stuck in traffic going down the wrong boulevard and turned off to some obscure side street to get back on track. It was times like that when Tijuana reminded me more of a European city than an American or even many Mexican cities. There are countless small shops and hole in the wall businesses. Boutiques, cafes and restaurants that I would love to go back and explore.

Finally I saw a hotel I recognized that helped me get oriented again, but not before one more wrong turn that nearly put me on the via rapida into Otay Mesa area. I ducked down another small street and saw another Sentri sign and suddenly the blue lights of the international border appeared ahead.

For once I chose a lane that was actually moving, up until the final entry point to the guard stations. Then they suddenly opened two more stations and I was faced with a choice: left or right? I chose left and all the cars in the right lane moved right along while I sat still for five minutes. Aagghhh!

But I still only spent maybe 10 minutes in the line. It was probably 15 minutes of wandering through traffic to get there. And after all that the guard simply looked at my bug spattered camper shell and asked how long it had been on the truck. "Two years I think", I replied. In fact I had another truck years ago in SENTRI, with a smaller camper shell, but this one had recently been inspected as well. Who knew which one he thought this was?

In Response to the question "what are you bringing back?" I answered my usual: "dirty clothes and lots of pictures. Oh, and one bottle of wine."

And that was it-he waved me through and I proceeded to abuse my suspension along with the other border crossers on the ridicu-lous barriers leading to the freeway. (I guess we can't use c-u-l-o in words now or it becomes burro?)

I estimate I entered Tijuana at 6 PM, wandered until 615, was in the SENTRI lines for 10 minutes, and was home looking in the fridge by 7 PM. I hadn't eaten much all day and desperately needed some comfort food after driving from Jesus Maria to San Diego in 12 hours. And a beer to calm my frazzled nerves also helped.

Still not sure which crossing I prefer, Otay Mesa or downtown TJ. (Tecate has been an option, but now with SENTRI I'll stick to the western choices.) Both have their challenges and both have their charms.

I was glad the SENTRI Lane worked well for me last night, but it still feels like a total crapshoot every time I approach a border crossing. Even after 12 hours on the road it seems like the longest, most difficult part of the entire drive.

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2015 at 09:21 PM

Bout time for a "Border Forum". Good luck!
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2015 at 09:26 PM

felt a little like clark griswold? :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TkxDa4rKnI
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2015 at 08:36 AM

it is so hard when it should be the simplest part of the journey.

glad you made it back safe and sound!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
bajalearner
Senior Nomad

Mood: in search of more

[*] posted on 1-28-2015 at 08:52 AM

Recently I went through and got a friendly CBP guy so I asked him about them always asking where I'm going and what if I where to respond that it personal. He said they asked the question to hear the answer but also watch the demeanor and reaction of the person. He said it's not about where a person is going but what their mental state is at the border. I'm guessing they all use the same question to establish the "normal" reaction from those who don't appear to be hiding anything.

I can live with that but don't like it when my rights are violated.

I saw a quick commercial for an 11pm news segment airing this Thursday night which looks into the CBP abusing rights. I think it will be on CH 7.
BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2015 at 08:55 AM

I've been using option 2 from the link below and having an easy time. Course the other option looks more like the old access but going a little further and not doing the illegal left turn after going under the bridge

http://www.bajabound.com/before/driving/directions/san_ysidr...
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-28-2015 at 09:08 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BooJumMan  
I've been using option 2 from the link below and having an easy time. Course the other option looks more like the old access but going a little further and not doing the illegal left turn after going under the bridge

http://www.bajabound.com/before/driving/directions/san_ysidr...

Baja Bound.. for the win!! Great maps and visual directions.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Whale-ista
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2015 at 09:09 PM

Believe it or not I followed a lot of those same steps Baja bound describes, including the funky U-turn. I was operating out of old memory and somehow navigated by chance more then plan.

The fact I was doing it in the dark during rush hour complicated a lot of my efforts.

Agreed- Otay Mesa is often better, but still confusing. Last year I nearly went into the SENTRI lane there accidentally, while searching for the READI Lane. And blvd 2000 is not a scenic as the coast highway..

Trade-offs...

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2016 at 05:16 PM
"Annual" update- thanks Discover Baja!

When I returned to San Diego last week, I remembered the confusion over one of my previous SENTRI crossings (described in the first post) and stopped at the Rosarito toll booth rest area, to call Discover Baja.

I asked for directions to avoid that scenario, and the gentleman who answered the phone patiently described the steps. I wrote them down, and headed north. They worked like a charm, despite my dread that I was confused/lost after the first turn onto "Ave. de los Heroes."

No one was in line when I arrived at 10:30 AM, and I was home shortly thereafter. The time of day no doubt helped- and it was good to see TJ in daylight vs. in darkness with heavy rain.

Thanks Discover Baja- I appreciate the helpful info!

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2016 at 07:27 PM

Someday, there will be clearly marked signs, or our cars will automatically drive us to the desired Sentri lane. Until then, for me, it's a raising of my blood pressure, followed by more than a few cuss words until I finally find the correct Sentri lane.

I have Otay down, so that's where I cross now.

Thanks for the fun report.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.