BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Please help us add Dorado from Mexico as an IUU at risk species
blackwolfmt
Senior Nomad

Mood: dreamin of Riden out a hurricane in Baja

[*] posted on 5-28-2015 at 08:59 AM

IMO the 700,000Kilos was shipped to Asia not the US

So understand dont waste your time always searching for those wasted years
face up and make your stand and realize that your living in the golden years
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-28-2015 at 09:01 AM

X3

Quote: Originally posted by redhilltown  
I've said it before but what really peees me off is that the Sea of Cortez--relatively speaking--is such an easy body of water to patrol and control! It is all Mexico...they can do whatever the want...or don't want.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 5-28-2015 at 11:16 AM

According to some...We've got just a few years left..and then Ba-zinga!

2050 is just around the corner.

http://www.onegreenplanet.org/animalsandnature/are-the-ocean...

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
worldsaquarium

[*] posted on 5-31-2015 at 12:50 PM

Thanks for all the comments! I think it important to mention that dorado became a protected species in Mexico around 1984. It was protected under Article 68 of the General Law of Mexican Fisheries. As many people know what article 68 what designed to do was to protect the Sea of Cortes. It did this by saying that dorado and the other species such as marlin and sailfish could not be fished within 50 miles of the coast. This protected pretty much the whole SOC.

Now as Mexico over fished everything else they have now come for the sport fishing species that were protected. Everyone also knows that the dorado catch for sport fishing is way down, even though dorado are the fastest growing fish in the oceans.

I think you should all think of the issue like this. Dorado is pretty much no different that tuna 30 years ago. Even though they produce fast does not mean they will can not be wiped out by commercial fishing. All we ask the Americans to do is enforce their own laws

Dorado is already illegal to import into the United States because of the Lacy Act. The new IUU stuff is just another tool but make no mistake, if the Sea of Cortes is to be saved then Dorado needs to be protected within it and within the 50 mile zone created by Article 68.

Something I learned a few weeks ago at the Blue Vision summit is this. If we as a species, homo supposed sapiens, don't change what we are doing and how we are interacting with our oceans then by 2050, 35 short years from now, there will be two tonnes of plastic in the ocean for every ton of fish. That is a future I don't want to see for my children.

Thanks for the comments and I urge everyone to make a comment with NOAA before the 8th of June deadline!

We at worldsaquarium will litigate the issue if the gringos continue to allow the dorado to cross the border though. Enough if enough!

Saludos a todos!!

worldsaquarium

[*] posted on 5-31-2015 at 12:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by blackwolfmt  
IMO the 700,000Kilos was shipped to Asia not the US

The 700,000 that I quote is directly from NOAA and all that fish was sent to the U.S.A. and that is indisputable fact! Anyone can find that information out if they simply go to the NOAA search query and do some basic clicking.
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2015 at 06:59 AM

You can also go on you tube and see the video that Vince did showing the trucks crossing into the US loaded with dorado.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.