BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: anyone fished BOLA recently?
tyguypb
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2015 at 02:55 PM
anyone fished BOLA recently?

just curious to know if anyone has heard any word out of Bahia de Los Angeles recently. Thinking about heading down in a few weeks. always room to deviate elsewhere ;) Cheers!

-Tyler
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 9-24-2015 at 03:19 PM

it's BIG yellowtail, as usual between rain events. Dorado are small in infrequent.

tyguypb
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2015 at 04:29 PM

That is a fair response. Thank you sir. Has it been tough making bait? Is this "el Nino" messing with water temps or nutrient upwelling in the bay and the channel? Or has it been a typical year. Have their been many of the big bonito schools around? Any sign of the whale Sharks or have they gone as well
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2015 at 05:00 PM

we made bait easily on two trips. your mileage may vary. no bonito but we did see skipjack. whale sharks were there a month ago.

hombre66
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2015 at 06:19 PM

Ty guy: check out the whale shark post by jack420
tyguypb
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2016 at 08:12 AM

I have been out of the US (AND MEXICO). for the past 8 months and I'm looking to get down to Baja as soon as I get back. (Less than a week). Anyone have any updates on LA bay has been so far this may? Wind/weather/fishing/ etc. Thanks! Sorry to re-up this thread!?
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2016 at 08:34 AM

Lots of wind right now but a few days ago they were catching 25# yellows from kayaks right off shore in the south bay. YMWV

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
barcodemarco
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2016 at 12:30 PM

Hello,

I'm planning to come down in a few weeks for my annual trip and have some flexibility in the dates. Does anyone have a reliable weather forecast site for the area? What do the pangueros use to predict wind other than their eyes?

Thanks!
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 5-17-2016 at 02:58 PM

There is no such thing as a reliable weather forecast, "a few weeks out". Especially when it comes to wind, which is what everyone wonders about at BOLA.

This is my favorite wind prediction source, for a week out. Even a week out has low probability, in a fast-changing area like BOLA.

I have customized it for the BOLA area, in terms of geographic location. It does not predict sea state, but that usually follows the wind, especially in a rather narrow area of the Sea like BOLA.

http://windalert.com/en-us/Search/ViewResults.aspx#29.081,-1...

I havent been to BOLA since the 90s, but I did go 3-5 times before that. I always preferred the second or third week in June, to make sure the yellers were in. But it sounds like they are already there, this year, based on BD reports.

Any of you regulars down there, it would be interesting to get your opinions on how accurate these overlays are. I dont trust Buoyweather much, anymore, for our region.

[Edited on 5-17-2016 by Hook]
barcodemarco
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2016 at 07:55 PM

Thanks Hook, that helps. I can monitor and bump out my trip if the 7 day looks bad. We fish off a Hobie Trimaran sailboat thing so a little wind is good, but much viento es no bueno. We usually head in early not to risk getting caught in the afternoon blow anyhow.

I also prefer to go later for a better chance at the yellows but this is my only shot this year! Last year we went in the first week in July and hooked quite a few healthy Forkies. Glad to hear they may have made an early showing this year.

Cheers!
Marco
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2016 at 06:22 AM

Hook, in my experience on both coasts I only watch Sailflow for the wind event, not so much the strength. They always call it when it's going to be ugly. Anything over 15mph on their forecast is when I take notice. They are close enough time wise as well that a few hours one way or the other doesn't matter.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-18-2016 at 06:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
Hook, in my experience on both coasts I only watch Sailflow for the wind event, not so much the strength. They always call it when it's going to be ugly. Anything over 15mph on their forecast is when I take notice. They are close enough time wise as well that a few hours one way or the other doesn't matter.

Windyty.com works pretty well for wind forecast.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 5-18-2016 at 11:08 AM

Sailflow is part of the same parent company as Windalert.com
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2016 at 11:15 AM

"you don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows"
keep an eye out on the canyons to the west for signs of "elefantes" clouds....and don't forget the sea anchor! ;)
tyguypb
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2016 at 09:25 AM

yea i ususally use sailflow but its the wind... and its baja... i guess i will just hope for the best. well thank you Larry C i was debating bringing the kayaks but it might be a bit more trouble than its worth im afraid. any other recent reports coming out of BOLA?
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 5-20-2016 at 09:56 AM

Didn't catch it but I helped eat it last Saturday.

20160514_192827.jpg - 98kB
BAJA.DESERT.RAT
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2016 at 04:27 PM

hola tyguypb,

may i suggest that you sign onto bloodydecks.com and post your query in the baja section ? there have been many posts on bay of l.a. over the past few months.

hope you have a great trip.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT
basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2016 at 06:41 PM

I was there two weeks ago. Although I did not fish, my neighbors at Guillermo's did. There were coming home with a boat load of yellow tail every day (chartered through Guillermo's). They headed home with a chest freezer full of vacuum packed fillets.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.