Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Looking for suggestions for time-killing exploring
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2015 at 11:34 AM

I started doing homework for Turquesa Canyon, and realized that I'd taken a photo sphere in the wash were the road for the canyon intersects Highway 5.

https://goo.gl/maps/c3VtxLfkJAR2

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-21-2015 at 05:17 PM

I am following Nomad 'Pappy Jon' (from New Mexico) with his DeLorme In Reach signal and he was there last night, up by the green pools...

If you are macho, like The Squarecircle (Roy), you can drive from the pools, past the turquoise mine and to the bottom of the switchback grade that comes down from Highway One (by El Pedregoso 'The Boulder Hill'). Of course he used a Land Rover, so it was easy (NOT)! TW was there and helped blaze the trail from the mine to the switchback.

I am surprised Score hasn't used it yet, but they don't like roads that are too rough, for off road racing! LOL

[Edited on 10-22-2015 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 10-21-2015 at 05:58 PM

I was saying also bring beer, there is never enough beer.

Quote: Originally posted by StuckSucks  
Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
Quote: Originally posted by MMc  
Bring a beer too.

he meant "or 9".

Goes without saying. Implied.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2015 at 11:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
If you are macho, like The Squarecircle (Roy), you can drive from the pools, past the turquoise mine and to the bottom of the switchback grade that comes down from Highway One (by El Pedregoso 'The Boulder Hill').

Ultimately, I need to get to Highway 1 to get to the Pacific Coast, so if I had juevos ...

If a Landcruiser made it, then I might have to put the Tacoma in 4x4 ...

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2015 at 12:31 PM

I started doing homework for Turquesa Canyon, and realized that I'd taken a photo sphere in the wash were the road for the canyon intersects Highway 5.

https://goo.gl/maps/c3VtxLfkJAR2

=======
Hi James,
here is the post on another discussion showing the turn from the road to Coco's to the turq ponds. From what I have read a 4WD high clearance rig can do the grade for the pond or mine area to Hwy 1.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2015 at 12:45 PM

If you are macho, like The Squarecircle (Roy), you can drive from the pools, past the turquoise mine and to the bottom of the switchback grade that comes down from Highway One (by El Pedregoso 'The Boulder Hill').

Ultimately, I need to get to Highway 1 to get to the Pacific Coast, so if I had juevos ...

If a Landcruiser made it, then I might have to put the Tacoma in 4x4 ...

It was Roy's LR3 Land Rover!

The Top!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2015 at 03:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  

Hi James,
here is the post on another discussion showing the turn from the road to Coco's to the turq ponds. From what I have read a 4WD high clearance rig can do the grade for the pond or mine area to Hwy 1.

Thanks Paul,

I just added the road to a map, and will make a file to move to my GPS. I assume the pools are in that rocky area when you enter the canyon approaching the mine?

StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2015 at 03:09 PM

It was Roy's LR3 Land Rover!

Whoa - looks like a loose, gravely mess. And fun.

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2015 at 03:56 PM

James, attached is the USR Zip file for the track. Hope it works?
Pools are surrounded with hard rock. Park and walk a short distance to view/explore them. Short gravel approach to the mine. Slim pickings to find the turq. The climb up the grade is described a difficult. Its on my bucket list to do sometime.
Paul
=============

Hi James,

[

Thanks Paul,

I just added the road to a map, and will make a file to move to my GPS. I assume the pools are in that rocky area when you enter the canyon approaching the mine?

Attachment: Turq Ponds.zip (2kB)
This file has been downloaded 260 times
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2015 at 05:24 PM

James, attached is the USR Zip file for the track.

Thank Paul, worked great. I embedded in a Google Map to have a good look-see. How did you know .usr is my flavor?

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2015 at 06:29 AM

James, attached is the USR Zip file for the track.

Thank Paul, worked great. I embedded in a Google Map to have a good look-see. How did you know .usr is my flavor?

=======
Involved in Cops racing - racers always use Lowrance. When I see you doing tracks USR is the obvious way to go. I use Garmin and Lowrance and Garmin sucks I may just dump the G units.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2015 at 09:01 AM

From the mine to the hill out of the wash there were two places we had some difficulty getting Roy thru. The first was an S shaped turn against the north embankment soon after leaving the mine. This section is not for a long wheel base vehicle. The second was a step up that needed some road building.

That was several years ago and the rains could have changed all that. The trail Roy followed was what the bikers use. It mostly stays along the north side of the arroyo.

Roys problem getting up the hill was because he does not have a locker. He has all kinds of traction control stuff that in his case did not provide the type of traction needed on a hill of loose rocks. He finally just blasted his way up. He said they had to move a lot of rocks after the hill top for a short section.

If I remember right it took us about 8 hours to go 2 miles. It's 2 miles from the mine to the hill out of the wash.

[Edited on 10-23-2015 by TMW]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2015 at 09:15 AM

Yes, the motorcycles love it and Kacey Smith named it the "XR Ride Up" in her first book ('All About Your Whereabouts' Baja GPS Guide). It is also called, "Coco's Shortcut".

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.