BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Looks like a good time.
Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2015 at 08:19 PM

Added info:

There is another La Presa down the San Raymond canyon road. That's not the one I've been referring to.
MulegeAL
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2015 at 08:25 PM

The pavimento camino in that canyon was comepletely destroyed by hurricane Paul, that was a couple of storms ago. I have ridden all the way to the ends from both sides, it is totally impassible by man, machine or beast in the box canyon section. It got fixed after Jimena, but now it is abandoned route. Impassible even with mule & mexican.

Last year when I rode in, there was a dessicated yearling cow that had stumbled into the "overfall" section, where the rushing waters must've been 20 to 30 feet deep at max flood. I got pics on the other PC.

And forget about riding through from Patrocino on anything heavier than a trials bike/250, and better know what the hell you are doing.

'course, if I can talk Gully into it, I'll go, if only to visit my goat herder mexican pals out there on the fringe....not all of baja has sold out to Carlos Slim, yet.
Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2015 at 08:32 PM

This from Monte Python to describe the current condition of these roads:

'E's not pinin'! 'E's passed on! This parrot is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to the perch 'e'd be pushing up the daisies! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible!! THIS IS AN EX-PARROT!!
MulegeAL
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2015 at 08:45 PM

But, but...I have waypoints!

...never mind that they are 4 or 5 hurricane floods old!
Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2015 at 08:52 PM

One of the most difficult areas to navigate is the first eight miles West out of Mulege. The various floods wiped out everything and the new 'roads' don't follow the old GPS routes and waypoints very well. If you try following the most travelled and obvious routes you will go where most of the locals go. To their ranchos.

I have a set of turn by turn instructions that will help you get past the confusing parts and save you all kinds of time. I will dig them out and post them.

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 12-18-2015 at 09:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Gulliver  
One of the most difficult areas to navigate is the first eight miles West out of Mulege. The various floods wiped out everything and the new 'roads' don't follow the old GPS routes and waypoints very well. If you try following the most travelled and obvious routes you will go where most of the locals go. To their ranchos.

I have a set of turn by turn instructions that will help you get past the confusing parts and save you all kinds of time. I will dig them out and post them.

Very cool info Gulliver
Mike Kay

[*] posted on 12-19-2015 at 12:29 AM

We tried Guadalupe to Magdalena in Feb. Its in bad shape. However, back up the road 1/4 mile from the road cut at the bottom of the canyon, is a gnarly and very very exposed little mule track local ranchers use, for mules. It might be possible for 3-4 guys to bulldog a bike down that. Up, probably not, but maybe down. We walked a bit down the canyon and it does get better, and maybe it could be ridden out. It was raining, and we had to get to San Ignacio, so after an hour we gave up. Would be a fun adventure. Bring ropes, 450 bikes, and prepare for an all day event.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-19-2015 at 12:50 AM

The El Camino Real (Mulegé branch) went from Mulegé to Magdalena and up to Guadalupe... so by foot, burro, or mule: YES!

Map: upon request from motoged only! All others, u2u and I will make a separate post for it.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

MulegeAL
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2015 at 09:55 AM

Top of the box canyon, looking south, back towards the Guadelupe end...

The wall is remmanent of the curbing on the paved section climb above the hairpins, all gone now. Photo simply does not do justice to the awesome display of destruction here. The dessicated cow is up above my riding pal.

Behind the photo is no go, not safe to transit due to loose overhead boulders, steep overfall-style terrain. Bring rope, helmets, sat phone for distress call.

The mule trail above this does sound interesting! I bet it does have a lot of exposure and scenic views, cholla, stiff brush, loose rocks, snakes, etc. When do we go?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2015 at 10:11 AM

GREAT PHOTO!!:light:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 12-19-2015 at 10:36 AM

Al,
Thanks for the pic. That very dramatically shows what my ranchero friends at Rcho San Isidro have told me. I really miss that loop as a day ride out of Mulege, for years it was in good condition and was repaired in between storms but the recent ones have just been too much. That is a steep, narrow water course and immense amounts of water flow through it. The arroyo going from there to San Jose de Magdalena was always interesting to watch year to year, car sized rocks moved substantial distances made the power of the water flow very obvious.

I'm glad I got to ride and drive back roads like San Javier/Comundu/San Isidro when they were in better condition. Seems to me there was more effort to keep them open 15-20 years ago. But then the storms seem to come more frequently these days.

As you know, it can be hit and miss on many of these routes. The first time I drove through the San Juan de la Pila road I was literally following in the fresh tracks of a dozer. Pure luck as to my timing.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2015 at 10:47 AM

Not only did those monster flash floods take out the road, but also destroyed nearly all the ruins downstream at La Magdalena: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=37460 (scroll to 2015 posts)

MulegeAL
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2015 at 10:55 AM

I miss it too, and I'm glad I got to do it a bunch of times before it got destroyed.
But out and backs are good too, going back I kinda know what to expect, can carry a bit more pace where the going is good and get back to cold beer sooner!

Congruence of events: many floods in last 10 years wrecking high/steep pasos, rise in price of Pemex gas, less kids carrying on the back country rancho lifestyle. It will always be there, it will never be easy to access, and it will almost always be worth the effort, at least for me. Some of the coolest stuff & people I ever found/met is back there.

Uno mas pintura..

Is 25 / 30 feet to the bottom from the curb, which is now in air over the boulder.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 12-19-2015 at 12:42 PM

Yes....sure glad I had a chance to ride that loop....four times....twice on 1100 GS and twice on 450 (led a BMW tour of 6 bikes through there in 2001)....dirt in '07 and '08....helmet cam video for most of ride somewhere in my downstairs office....someday will transfer from tape to digital....

Don't believe everything you think....
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2015 at 09:26 AM

Any good rides around Muleje.Have a friend there,wants me to come over.To dirt bike ride,but does not know any routes.All the pictures,shown Amazing.
Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2015 at 09:40 AM

I'll U2U with info.
Mike
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2015 at 09:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Gulliver  
I'll U2U with info.
Mike
Thank You
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2015 at 10:05 AM

how 'bout a shot of someone wheelie-ing across the top of the wall! :P Laia?
cool photo!
Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2015 at 11:45 AM

You provide the helicopter and I'll be there!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2015 at 12:14 PM

Calling Cameron Steele!

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.