Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: El Mano Pass
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 1-2-2016 at 01:04 PM
El Mano Pass

Anyone been on this lately? Any locked gates? How about the summit road?
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2016 at 09:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  
Anyone been on this lately? Any locked gates? How about the summit road?

=====
Mano - Passable with permission from the land owner. Go find the ranch house and pay and the gates will be unlocked. Been that way for quite a while.

Race summit is as always on the south side. On the north side do not open gates because the road goes around all the new fencing. Been that way for the last 2 years.
ehall
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2016 at 09:39 AM

Thanks paul. Is the ranch at the top or bottom?
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2016 at 10:15 AM

ehall
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2016 at 11:13 AM

Thanks tom
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-3-2016 at 01:28 PM

If it's of any use for you Ed, I have some GPS waypoints along that road from Hwy. 3 (north of Independencia) to Guadalupe Canyon.

http://www.vivabaja.com/GPS/

MAP DATUM NAD27 MEXICO:

Guadalupe Canyon Entrance: 32°09.40'/ 115°47.29'

Cohabuzo Jcn: 31°55.74'/ 115°36.22' (*Turn left/ east for next 2 waypoints)

*Ej. Saldana Road (S): 31°50.12'/ 115°19.47'

*Hwy. 5 & Ej. Saldana Jcn: 31°51.75'/ 115°10.92'

South of Cohabuzo 8.2 mi. is a fork, go right for El Mano (4WD): 31°49.81'/ 115°33.89'

Jcn. with road to left. Ahead-right goes up the mountain via El Mano canyon: 31°47.68'/ 115°36.65'

Rancho El Mano driveway left, road begins major climb: 31°48.56'/ 115°40.39'

Rancho Los Pinos, elev. 5,086': 31°48.77'/ 115°46.26'

Jcn. Santa Catarina left (S)/ Agua Blanca right (SW): 31°45.20'/ 115°51.52'

Jcn. Agua Blanca left (S), Hwy. 3 right (N): 31°42.24', 115°54.25'

[Edited on 1-3-2016 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

ehall
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2016 at 03:04 PM

Thanks david. That's great.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2016 at 05:47 PM

CODE and NORRA ran a race down El Mano in Sept 2013. I went in at Independencia and picked up the race course at RM60 and went down El Mano then to Cohabuzo Jct and out to Laguna Saluda to Hwy 1. If you want the Google Earth track send me your email by U2U and I'll send it to you. I don't have the GPS track but you can convert the GE file on http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2016 at 06:05 PM

Both CODE and NORRA had a deal with the rancher to allow passage thru his property. Don't know the cost details
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2016 at 10:20 AM

When BJ and I went down El Mano in Sept 2013 following the CODE course we were behind two pickup trucks each had a cow in the bed. Not tied and the cows were slipping and sliding all the way down. We were not in any hurry so we just stayed behind them. Before getting to the abandoned ranch at the bottom there was a military checkpoint, all but one soldier wanted a beer the other a soda.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2016 at 10:24 AM

The west end of the summit road can get confusing with the gates some locked and some not depending on which road you take. We came over it last June. I think Paul is more familiar with that area.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 1-4-2016 at 12:44 PM

Tom - does this bombed-out Suburban look familiar?

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2016 at 08:54 PM

No I meant the race summit. I thought that was what Ed was asking about.

Ken I don't recall the Suburban. Was that on El Mano?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2016 at 10:48 PM

Ed is asking about Mano Canyon according to the thread, so I posted the old AAA map with that road highlighted and GPS points for the Mano road... Did I miss something? You even said Mano for the CODE race??
I will delete my reply about Portezuelo de Jamau (Race Summit) since I am confused now! LOL. Goodnight Tom.

[Edited on 1-5-2016 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2016 at 09:50 AM

Your map etc. is good info for Ed. He asked about the summit and I assumed he meant the race summit since I've never heard anyone refer to the top of El Mano as the summit. But I may have misunderstood his question.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2016 at 10:35 AM

Yes, he asked about both "Mano Pass" and "summit". I assumed "race summit" like David did. Maybe he meant Mano summit which I ignored.

Let me clarify
CODE and NORRA used Mano with permission and payment. Without permission maybe the gates will be unlocked due to frequent use by the rancher?? I do not have details where the ranch house for Mano is located. Somebody else needs to provide.

Race summit never needs permission or payment so far. There is a small occupied ranch house near the race summit on the south side. My previous route description is correct. Ask for more details. The race summit is used all the time by locals and explorers and racers - mostly SCORE.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2016 at 10:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
Yes, he asked about both "Mano Pass" and "summit". I assumed "race summit" like David did. Maybe he meant Mano summit which I ignored.

Let me clarify
CODE and NORRA used Mano with permission and payment. Without permission maybe the gates will be unlocked due to frequent use by the rancher?? I do not have details where the ranch house for Mano is located. Somebody else needs to provide.

Race summit never needs permission or payment so far. There is a small occupied ranch house near the race summit on the south side. My previous route description is correct. Ask for more details. The race summit is used all the time by locals and explorers and racers - mostly SCORE.

Just for clarification, I assumed El Mano's summit (as in the top of a range or high point on the road). Ken posted a photo I thought was Race Summit (Portezuelo de Jamau) and that's when things got confused (for me, I guess)!?

Carry on!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.