Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Feb. 13/16 SI Check Point
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2016 at 03:39 PM

Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2016 at 06:54 PM

Just went through Northbound on Sunday (Quick peek in the back. Curious about weird things we have like modern camping gear and smiles when we said we were headed up to see the whales) and again Southbound today (friendly and passed us though without asking anything except where we were coming from and where we were going.

I feel safer around these kids than I do walking into ANY gringo infested bar down here. Sober and professional.
Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2016 at 06:57 PM

Barbara just said that I have a sign across my forehead that says, "Internet troll".
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-22-2016 at 07:13 PM

It's hit or miss, as with the weather or getting a bad meal at a place that was good before...

I had never had a negative checkpoint experience until last July at San Ignacio. It won't stop me from going back, but it sure could had, to many others less comfortable in Mexico than I. That is what is sad, how unprofessional behavior can hurt so many Mexicans who benefit from tourism.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

oxxo
Banned

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 2-23-2016 at 09:03 AM

Quote:
Quote: Originally posted by David K  
I had never had a negative checkpoint experience until last July at San Ignacio.

Maybe it was the Trump bumper sticker on your chariot? :lol:

Quote:
It won't stop me from going back, but it sure could had, to many others less comfortable in Mexico than I. That is what is sad, how unprofessional behavior can hurt so many Mexicans who benefit from tourism.

Then maybe it was the Ted Cruz bumper sticker! 12 million new "tourists" sent to Mexico. :lol:

Amigo, it's a joke! I have a "I'm Partial to Palin" bumper sticker. The checkpoint guys burst out laughing when they see it and just wave me through! :lol:
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2016 at 09:15 AM

No political stickers on my truck, the Baja stickers are enough! In July 2015 there was nobody yet to pick, at least for me. I do like Ben Carson, but he just is too damn calm and relaxed! LOL

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

gsbotanico
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2016 at 09:08 AM

I've been stopped at check points all over Baja and mainland Mexico. I'm never sure what to expect. In Baja it's normally professional and courteous, but not always. I try to remain respectful. Once I was stopped in Guadalupe Valley in the 1990s on the dirt road (now paved) between El Tigre and El Porvenir by the PGR. This is the Mexican equivalent of the FBI. Not much traffic on the road back in those days. I came around a curve and the oncoming vehicle turned to block the road. The agents, all wearing PGR t-shirts, jumped out to open the doors on both sides of my car. They were locked, but I quickly opened them. I went through the whole list of questions and my car was searched. I think the agents were disappointed they didn't find any drugs and I had good answers to their questions. A tipoff and the wrong guy or normal routine? I never found out, but I was sure relieved to drive off. My one and only rough encounter in Baja.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 2-24-2016 at 09:24 AM

When we went through the San Ignacio checkpoint, northbound in January, they were taking photos of all the cars. Cameraman facing the front of the vehicle from a 45 degree angle that also captured one side.

Anyone else experienced that?

[Edited on 2-24-2016 by SFandH]
Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2016 at 09:38 AM

Just to keep things in perspective, the next town headed North from there, Viscaino, was the site of a recent drug related triple killing.

I would surprised if there were NOT a lot more scrutiny and data collection at that point.

The only route that bypasses that check point is up the coastal route and any serious increase in surface traffic there would really stand out as well as destroy the already ripped up road.

As long as the U.S. keeps sucking drugs, this business will be one of the largest contributors to Mexico's G.N.P. and there will be friction. Violent friction.

I'm a proponent of legalization but until that happens (not holding my breath!) I chose to abstain and quietly avoid those who consume.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 2-24-2016 at 09:51 AM
drugs

I guess that most don't get that the simple fact about these check and search points/stations and the USA "war on drugs"...The USA mandates and demands the ck points..the CIA (cocaine international aviation) dosnt like other gangs selling the same drug that they sell...really,,really simple......
Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2016 at 09:59 AM

Try to imagine what it's like for these young guys. Bored. Hot. And maybe some serious trouble with the next truck.

I was doing a lot of driving around in Baja in the early nineties and carried a big cooler full of six packs of cola. I always managed to leave behind one or two when I threw my junk back in the car. I wouldn't have their job for anything.

The local police in Mulege periodically set up a check point here in Mulege and look things over. Fairly professionally done too. I don't object. Keeps things from getting out of hand.
VegasNick
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2016 at 12:04 AM

We came through on Wednesday and had zero issues. The youngest could not speak a word of English. An older one (Maybe 40's) came over and questioned me and asked if the other one could look in our camper. All professional and courteous. We shook hands even at the end and I told him to be safe out there. He was very pleasant. we were down there for a week and had no issues at any checkpoint or with any enforcement agency.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2016 at 09:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by VegasNick  
We came through on Wednesday and had zero issues. The youngest could not speak a word of English. An older one (Maybe 40's) came over and questioned me and asked if the other one could look in our camper. All professional and courteous. We shook hands even at the end and I told him to be safe out there. He was very pleasant. we were down there for a week and had no issues at any checkpoint or with any enforcement agency.

Yep, that's the way it is 99% of the time.
I have given those guys cold water and fruit at times, too... after the inspection so it doesn't seem to be bribing them for faster passage, lol.

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2016 at 10:19 AM

I only live 70 miles from there. Pass through all the time without a problem. Starting to feel left out.... well I guess I could post something on the internet just to get attention.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2016 at 10:27 AM

one thing all the checkpoints have in common.....chica's on board, they're gettin out of the car! ;)
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2016 at 05:51 PM

It sure ranks as one of the most boring jobs.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2016 at 06:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
It sure ranks as one of the most boring jobs.

beats Afghanistan! :(
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 3-26-2016 at 07:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Show me your papers señor!
That was the Molino de Calamajué checkpoint in July 1967!

David,

where is Molino de Calamajué?

Harald Pietschmann
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.