BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Current contact info for reporting Tecate Police Rip Offs, please
DawnPatrol
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2016 at 02:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
not all smokers die

:lol:

Nice!
I have never met you but I like your style....

Alan from SD
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2016 at 02:53 PM

Here is some info I came across. Use the Sindicatura web site.

* If you feel you have been treated unfairly by a police officer get his badge number and license plate number and tell him you will be contacting the Sindicatura (seen-dee-kah-too-ra). In most cases if you are clearly in the right this will send the cop on his way. The Sindicatura investigate corrupt police officers.

If you have a complaint against a police officer or other city official, you can contact the City of Tijuana Internal Affairs at 688-2810, 24 hours a day. You can also register your complaint, in person at City Hall, or via the Internet at the following address: http://www.sindicatura.gob.mx/
complaints/index.asp
USA Consulate in Cabo:
Consular Agent in Cabo San Lucas
(An extension of the Consulate in Tijuana)
Blvd. Marina Local C-4
Plaza Nautica
Centro
Cabo San
Lucas, B.C.S. 23410
Monday-Friday: 9:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m.
Phone: [52] (624) 143-3566,
Fax: [52] (624) 143-6750
E-Mail: usconsulcabo@yahoo.com
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2016 at 02:56 PM

From Discover Baja:

We know that being pulled over by a police officer while driving in a foreign country can be a scary experience. The most important thing is to remain calm, be respectful and know your rights. You may have heard stories about people being pulled over and having to give a “mordida” (bribe) to the cop because they were worried they were going to be thrown into jail if they didn’t. Giving them money for a bribe is both unnecessary and illegal. The Baja Secretary of Tourism and the Mexican government are on your side and want the police to stop this behavior, but they rely on help from tourists to report the problem and to stop feeding into it by offering the cops bribes.

We’ve partnered with the Baja Secretary of Tourism to answer some of your questions about what to do if you’re pulled over, and we’ve put together a document for you to print out and keep in your car while driving in Baja. The printout outlines procedures for you to follow and also doubles as a document that you can show to the officer (there’s a section in Spanish) to let them know that you’re aware of your rights and will be reporting any misconduct to the Board of Tourism.

-If you are stopped by a police officer for a traffic violation, you should request a written citation from the officer. Traffic citations are written in both English and Spanish and will contain instruction on how to pay the fee. You can mail your fine to Mexico from the U.S.

-Never attempt to bribe or give money to the officer. It is both corrupt for them to ask for money and illegal for you to bribe a police officer. You can be fined and thrown in jail.

-In some cases, the officer will ask you to follow them to the police station. If you are being pulled over for a minor infraction, you are not required to go to the police station. Ask for the written citation and you can pay it by mail from the U.S.

-If you feel like you’ve been fined unfairly, take note of the time, location, vehicle identification number and badge number of the officer. You can contact the State Secretary of Tourism 24/7 by dialing 078 to report the information. If you’re a Discover Baja member, you can also email us at ask@discoverbaja.com with the above information and we will contact the Secretary of Tourism directly for you.

Download and print this document to keep in your glovebox and show to the officer if you’re pulled over.

Driving to Baja? Don’t forget your Mexican auto insurance! Discover Baja has the best rates and the highest-quality insurance. Visit www.discoverbajaonline.com or call 800-727-2252 for more information.
Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2016 at 03:07 PM

Thank you all for your responses. I have copied and sent this to the people involved.

The guy was from Alberta towing a huge 5th wheel trailer heading north. The Police originally wanted $200 USD.

He would not go for that and went to the police station with the officer. This was last Sunday afternoon. There was only one other officer at the station and both officers had guns.

He negitiated them down to 1700 pesos. The officers took the guy to the ATM and waited while he got their 1700 pesos.

He asked for a receipt and a ticket. They said 'NO."

That's all I know. Thanks for your help.
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2016 at 04:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
From Discover Baja:

We know that being pulled over by a police officer while driving in a foreign country can be a scary experience. The most important thing is to remain calm, be respectful and know your rights. You may have heard stories about people being pulled over and having to give a “mordida” (bribe) to the cop because they were worried they were going to be thrown into jail if they didn’t. Giving them money for a bribe is both unnecessary and illegal. The Baja Secretary of Tourism and the Mexican government are on your side and want the police to stop this behavior, but they rely on help from tourists to report the problem and to stop feeding into it by offering the cops bribes.

We’ve partnered with the Baja Secretary of Tourism to answer some of your questions about what to do if you’re pulled over, and we’ve put together a document for you to print out and keep in your car while driving in Baja. The printout outlines procedures for you to follow and also doubles as a document that you can show to the officer (there’s a section in Spanish) to let them know that you’re aware of your rights and will be reporting any misconduct to the Board of Tourism.

-If you are stopped by a police officer for a traffic violation, you should request a written citation from the officer. Traffic citations are written in both English and Spanish and will contain instruction on how to pay the fee. You can mail your fine to Mexico from the U.S.

-Never attempt to bribe or give money to the officer. It is both corrupt for them to ask for money and illegal for you to bribe a police officer. You can be fined and thrown in jail.

-In some cases, the officer will ask you to follow them to the police station. If you are being pulled over for a minor infraction, you are not required to go to the police station. Ask for the written citation and you can pay it by mail from the U.S.

-If you feel like you’ve been fined unfairly, take note of the time, location, vehicle identification number and badge number of the officer. You can contact the State Secretary of Tourism 24/7 by dialing 078 to report the information. If you’re a Discover Baja member, you can also email us at ask@discoverbaja.com with the above information and we will contact the Secretary of Tourism directly for you.

Download and print this document to keep in your glovebox and show to the officer if you’re pulled over.

Driving to Baja? Don’t forget your Mexican auto insurance! Discover Baja has the best rates and the highest-quality insurance. Visit www.discoverbajaonline.com or call 800-727-2252 for more information.

Is there a link to the form mentioned above or just get the info requested and turn it in? I went to discoverbajaonline but did not see the form referred to.

[Edited on 2-19-2016 by larryC]

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2016 at 07:24 PM

Try this Larry.

http://www.discoverbaja.com/wp-content/uploads/TRAFFIC-VIOLA...
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 2-19-2016 at 08:10 PM

The "Sindicatura gob.mx" website used to say, "click" English" and then they had an area where you could send your written complaint to the "Sindicatura" in Tijuana.

However, everybody that I know including myself, that has actually sent in a complaint, never received a reply back from the "Sindicatura," you will have more luck calling them on the phone, or better yet filing your complaint in person. You should have the name of the alleged corrupt cop, badge number, and/or police car number if possible.

Many Baja forum, at least four or five forums going back many years, have also advocated either getting a business card from the "Sindicatura" or printing out some kind of "Sindicatura" bumper stickers, label, or card and either posting it on your vehicle, or keeping in your wallet and taking out the Sindicatura" card when you're approached by a corrupt Mexican cop.

So yes, there are a few American tourists, who use the "Sindicatura" card or sticker the same way possible victims use a Christian cross to ward off vampires.

I have heard of both successful and unsuccessful stories using the Sindicatura card as some type of apotropaic magic amulet, when coming face to face with a corrupt cop looking for a bribe.

joerover
Banned

Mood: sleepy

[*] posted on 2-19-2016 at 08:29 PM

I once asked a tijuana police man for a photo
no para mi, para sindicatura. My money went back in my pocket and out of his. He kept 400 pesos or so, but I got 2,000 back. Tijuana police really rob people. I stopped going to Ensenada, because of bandidos con placas. Are they still getting worse every year.
Has anyone ever visited Mexico without getting robbed by a government employe?

I do not drive into Mexico.

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Here is some info I came across. Use the Sindicatura web site.

* If you feel you have been treated unfairly by a police officer get his badge number and license plate number and tell him you will be contacting the Sindicatura (seen-dee-kah-too-ra). In most cases if you are clearly in the right this will send the cop on his way. The Sindicatura investigate corrupt police officers.

If you have a complaint against a police officer or other city official, you can contact the City of Tijuana Internal Affairs at 688-2810, 24 hours a day. You can also register your complaint, in person at City Hall, or via the Internet at the following address: http://www.sindicatura.gob.mx/
complaints/index.asp
USA Consulate in Cabo:
Consular Agent in Cabo San Lucas
(An extension of the Consulate in Tijuana)
Blvd. Marina Local C-4
Plaza Nautica
Centro
Cabo San
Lucas, B.C.S. 23410
Monday-Friday: 9:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m.
Phone: [52] (624) 143-3566,
Fax: [52] (624) 143-6750
E-Mail: usconsulcabo@yahoo.com

the fat lady is breeding
which means
The fat ladys are breeding
joerover
Banned

Mood: sleepy

[*] posted on 2-19-2016 at 08:34 PM

every time they fix a leak a new one springs up

heroin is the reason why
when the real problem is addressed the problem will get better

until then the tourists will continue to get robbed buy police

the fat lady is breeding
which means
The fat ladys are breeding
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 2-19-2016 at 10:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  
Quote: Originally posted by Mula  
I never had a problem with either place - either.
But a neighbor's son just got shook down Sunday afternoon in Tecate for 1700 pesos - and no ticket and no receipt.

Maybe you never had trouble with the police because you never did anything illegal.

Maybe, your neighbor's son, who allegedly got "shook down" did something illegal. Today most teen kids and young adults, are at least pot heads, engage in under age drinking, or sometimes they speed in their cars.

The parents are often the last to know.

It's been my experience witnessing a few Mexican shake down over the years,,often the shake down of the victims are at least a little guilty of their alleged crimes, otherwise they would put up a better fight resisting a shake down attempt, if they were truly not guilty of anything.

If a tourism board has power over the police, you would think they would already have any problem with corrupt police shake downs solved.

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  

Thanks, in advance. Report them to board of tourism,They have power over the police.That the police don't want to deal with. I have proof of this.

Bajatrailrider wrote: you mention you have proof. What proof do you have? My proof,come here to the police station.I can have the police explain it to you.Would that be proof? Im only trying to help this person.If the police took a bribe,you report it.Trust me things happen to him.

[Edited on 2-19-2016 by JoeJustJoe]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-19-2016 at 11:59 PM

Trying to figure out who said what can be very confusing when using quotes IF you don't begin your reply AFTER the last [/quote ] tag.

Otherwise, your reply becomes part of the other Nomad's quote with just nothing in your part of the reply box.

It is not easy, and we all have accidentally typed before the ending [/quote ] tag.

You can EDIT and fix your posts/ replies by copying your part and pasting it after that /quote tag and then erase the wrong place it was typed.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.