Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2016 at 07:17 AM
SCORE forced to cancel April’s SCORE Baja Sur 500

SCORE MEDIA CONTACT: Dominic Clark, dominiccnv@aol.com

February 17, 2016
San Felipe season opener next week
SCORE forced to cancel April’s SCORE Baja Sur 500;
four races in 2016 SCORE World Desert Championship

four-race series for cars, trucks, UTVs, motorcycles, quads features all SCORE Baja races;
2016 SCORE World Desert Championship airing on CBS Sports Network, global syndication;

RENO, Nev.— SCORE International announced today that they have been forced to cancel the SCORE Baja Sur 500 that was originally scheduled to be held in April in La Paz, BCS, Mexico. The decision came when the government of Baja California Sur confirmed they were unable to honor their contractual agreement with SCORE.
“We are extremely disappointed but this decision is in the best interest of all concerned,” said Roger Norman, SCORE CEO/President. “We have been informed that the BCS government is not able to honor the commitments they originally made for the event. We have been left with no choice but to cancel the race and we will proceed with a four-race SCORE World Desert Championship for 2016.”
“SCORE needs support from the various communities where races are held to make it possible to put on a race to our standard”, added Norman.
2016 POINT TITLES
The 2016 SCORE World Desert Championship will be comprised of ALL points earned from the four races in the series. These races include the San Felipe 250, Baja 500, Rosarito Beach Desert Challenge and the Baja 1000. To qualify for a season championship, a racer must start at least three of the four events including the season-ending SCORE Baja 1000. SCORE offers Pro and Sportsman classes for cars, trucks, UTVs, motorcycles and quads.
CBS SPORTS NETWORK COVERAGE
All races in the four-race 2016 SCORE World Desert Championship, along with the special SEMA SCORE Baja 1000 Experience and qualifying for the SCORE Baja 1000 from Las Vegas Motor Speedway are once again airing in the USA and Canada on the CBS Sports Network. The spectacular shows feature not only SCORE Trophy Truck coverage, but also top action and highlights from many other classes of trucks, cars, UTVs, motorcycles and quads – making sure that the most exciting footage and most compelling stories continue are part of each race event broadcast.
Capping off the 2016 broadcast season, the SCORE Baja 1000 broadcast on CBS Sports Network will air as a full two-hour special for the second straight year.

Democracy is like two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Ben Franklin (1759)
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 2-19-2016 at 07:22 AM

What are these contractual commitments that BCS usually makes?
LaTijereta
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2016 at 07:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
What are these contractual commitments that BCS usually makes?

Money.. :cool:

Democracy is like two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Ben Franklin (1759)
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2016 at 07:47 AM

I'm not surprised they cancelled. Besides the money the turn out was not very impressive last year.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 2-19-2016 at 08:14 AM

BCS pays SCORE to conduct the race down there?

I guess I always figured it the other way around. But I know nothing about the organization of off-road racing.............and have probably displayed that right here. :cool:
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-19-2016 at 08:36 AM

I guess I always figured it the other way around. But I know nothing about the organization of off-road racing.............and have probably displayed that right here. :cool:

Well, that is plain wrong! Score should pay for the right to use the land. Tell those score bums to come back when they got some $
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 2-19-2016 at 08:49 AM

Dang knuckle draggers anyhow.......

carlosg
Senior Nomad

Mood: Just like in Baja: No Bad Days...

[*] posted on 2-19-2016 at 08:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Well, that is plain wrong! Score should pay for the right to use the land. Tell those score bums to come back when they got some $

YUP!!!....Score and Spanos alike....!!!! ...filthy rich on welfare.

...work to camp and fish.... dream to be there....

http://aquapropoolandspaservice.com/
LaTijereta
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2016 at 09:33 AM

BCS Tourism pays SCORE a set "amount" out of their yearly budget, and this year was to provide other services like a medical helicopter for the event.
In return, BCS gets a big bump in tourism dollars from all the teams that would have traveled down for the race and weeks of pre-running the course before. There is also the multiple one hour episodes on CBSsports that ran as promo for the trails and beaches for BCS Tourism. Last year was the inaugural event for SCORE, while the turn-out was low, it did get great reviews and would have been greater this year. Along with all local offroad clubs down in BCS, this is a big set back for offroad racing down Southern Baja.
By the way, SCORE still has to pay and negotiate with the local Eijdos to run over their lands to put on the race...

Ben Franklin (1759)
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 2-19-2016 at 09:36 AM

It's a pity. I found myself in and around Loreto at the first (and only?) running of the Baja Sur 500 last year. I seemed to notice a fair bit of activity around the races, starting at the airport where it was assumed that I was there for the races (vainly, I thought they recognized me from my kart racing days. ;)). I recognized a few race faces on the flight back to LAX.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2016 at 10:03 AM

theres always Dos Mares!
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 2-19-2016 at 10:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by LaTijereta  

BCS Tourism pays SCORE a set "amount" out of their yearly budget, and this year was to provide other services like a medical helicopter for the event.
In return, BCS gets a big bump in tourism dollars from all the teams that would have traveled down for the race and weeks of pre-running the course before. There is also the multiple one hour episodes on CBSsports that ran as promo for the trails and beaches for BCS Tourism. Last year was the inaugural event for SCORE, while the turn-out was low, it did get great reviews and would have been greater this year. Along with all local offroad clubs down in BCS, this is a big set back for offroad racing down Southern Baja.
By the way, SCORE still has to pay and negotiate with the local Eijdos to run over their lands to put on the race...

I really enjoyed the CBSSports show on the race. I hope they come back next year.

[Edited on 2-19-2016 by BigBearRider]
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2016 at 11:01 AM

With other promoters having races in April Some teams probably find it too much of a hassle to do this one.

CODE has a race April 8-10.
BITD April 1-3 Trail Ride for bikes.
BITD May 5-8 Laughlin for 4 wheelers.
NORRA April 23-27.

With the SCORE Baja Sur April 14-17 there is not much time to prepare. If running for a championship in SCORE you can drop one race and for many NOB racers this would be it.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.